Manage Scans -> New Custom Task = Crash

Product: Bitdefender Total Security

Other Security Software: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium, SUPERAntiSpyware Professional Edition, SpywareBlaster

Bitdefender Antivirus crashes every time I click on "New Custom Task" inside Manage Scans. I can edit the default items, but I don't dare try to create a new one. I submit the crash reports.

Most of the time all I see is a black box when I click "New Custom Task" followed by BD AV crashing. Once in a great while I don't get the black box and can actually see the contents of the overlay screen, but BD AV crashes shortly thereafter nonetheless.

Is this a known issue?

More information that may be useful:

This a new BD install. I did try out the BD free edition a day prior. I uninstalled the free edition prior to installing the BD Total Security edition. This is the only hiccup I have encountered thus far.

BTW, this error occurred prior to me installing the other security software listed above. I installed BD first... the others later.

Comments

Product: Bitdefender Total Security

Other Security Software: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium, SUPERAntiSpyware Professional Edition, SpywareBlaster

Bitdefender Antivirus crashes every time I click on "New Custom Task" inside Manage Scans. I can edit the default items, but I don't dare try to create a new one. I submit the crash reports.

Most of the time all I see is a black box when I click "New Custom Task" followed by BD AV crashing. Once in a great while I don't get the black box and can actually see the contents of the overlay screen, but BD AV crashes shortly thereafter nonetheless.

Is this a known issue?

More information that may be useful:

This a new BD install. I did try out the BD free edition a day prior. I uninstalled the free edition prior to installing the BD Total Security edition. This is the only hiccup I have encountered thus far.

BTW, this error occurred prior to me installing the other security software listed above. I installed BD first... the others later.

Restart your system without these 2 Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium, SUPERAntiSpyware Professional Edition, and try again.

• Hello kc6108

Other security programs with active scans running at the same time can cause problems and not recommended, although there are those here who run MBAM Pro/Premium without problems. However, as you said they were installed after your problem occurred the first thing to try is to disable those other programs from running, open the Windows Control Panel>Programs and Features, double click Bitdefender to uninstall but choose "Repair". Allow it to complete then reboot the computer.

• Restart your system without these 2 Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium, SUPERAntiSpyware Professional Edition, and try again.

This didn't help. :(

• Hello kc6108

Other security programs with active scans running at the same time can cause problems and not recommended, although there are those here who run MBAM Pro/Premium without problems. However, as you said they were installed after your problem occurred the first thing to try is to disable those other programs from running, open the Windows Control Panel>Programs and Features, double click Bitdefender to uninstall but choose "Repair". Allow it to complete then reboot the computer.

That's right, this error occurred before I installed any other security software.

I did the "repair" it made things worse. Way worse. Bitdefender was so messed up (options, couldn't turn things on/off, etc.) that I used the Bitdefender Uninstall tool that removes all traces of Bitdefender. I reinstalled BitDefender and everything was back to normal, except for the same pesky bug as mentioned in the first post.

Any other ideas? I have closed all applications, stopped most services, and the error still occurs. :unsure:

• Any update on this bug? I have installed Bitdefender Total Security on two machines and get the same error. I even performed a clean Windows 7 64-bit install with the same results. I unfortunately installed Bitdefender as one of the last items (because it is SO much faster to rebuild a machine without an AV installed). I'm not sure if Bitdefender is just simply not getting along with another application or if it's the hardware.

I thought Acronis True Image v11 was the culprit (based on all the problems everyone is having with the two installed at the same time), but uninstalling it didn't help. I even removed all traces of it based on Acronis' recommendation. No go. I then installed the 2014 version, which I don't like as much (hate it actually), to see if installing that version would clean up any conflicts. Still no go.

I am out of ideas. Not being able to create a custom scan is really bothering me. I am submitting the crash reports (probably two dozen by now, if not more) to hopefully help you guys figure this out.

Is there anything I can do to help troubleshoot this error?

• error-id10t
    edited May 2014

I know this is of little help to you but I just checked mine (BIS) and it works on mine without crashing. I don't know if there's a difference between the products re: this specific item but I doubt it. I'm running Win8.1.

• Same problem here, which is how I found this thread. I have nothing except Bitdefender Internet Security 2015. Could it be because I have Windows 7 64-bit?

• Same problem here, which is how I found this thread. I have nothing except Bitdefender Internet Security 2015. Could it be because I have Windows 7 64-bit?

Hello Amanda,

It should work perfectly well with Win 7 X64, mine does.

Run a repair first -

Control Panel>Programs and Features>Bitdefender>Uninstall - Choose "Repair" and wait for it to complete. Reboot your computer and try again. If you still have problems post back.

Ro.

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭

@ kc6108 please upgrade to Bitdefender 2015 and check if the issue persists. You can find here all the steps:

http://www.bitdefender.com/support/how-to-...-2015-1314.html

@ Amanda

If the issue persists after the repair process please post in this area of the forum, dedicated to Bitdefender 2015 products:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showforum=411

This is the area for 2014 Bitdefender products.

Thank you.

This discussion has been closed.