Bruh! I Need Help Now! Just Installed And Have Nothing...

After reading many reports on Bitdefender, I decided to give it a try. My OS is Windows 7, Professional 64-bit. I have been using Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE).

1. I downloaded the Free edition files directly from the Bitdefender website -- nothing happened. It just finished downloading. I went to the downloaded location and clicked one of the two exe files -- the largest. It apparently unpacked files and requested that I remove my Microsoft Security Essentials, which it apparently did.

2. When that finished I still have NO indication that Bitdefender is operating -- to the contrary. When I go to "ALL PROGRAMS" it does not appear. My MSE is no longer functioning. I am running Malwarebytes Antimalware Premium, which is running. I'm not completely unprotected, but my OS believe I am. It is prompting me to install an anti-virus program or turn on Microsoft Defender.

3. What have I missed?

4. I want to get this up and running or uninstall it -- ASAP.

Please help.

Thanks,

Louis

Comments

• UPDATE: I downloaded the Bitdefender uninstaller and used it. I also reinstalled MSE, which has never given me any issues. I'll await an authoritative answer on the installation of Bitdefender Free before I give it a second try. IMHO, it's not asking too much for the installation to let the installer know that it's finished and operating properly -- or advise on what the issues are. Perhaps I'm asking too much, but MOST other programs to exactly that -- provide feedback...even freeware.

After reading many reports on Bitdefender, I decided to give it a try. My OS is Windows 7, Professional 64-bit. I have been using Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE).

1. I downloaded the Free edition files directly from the Bitdefender website -- nothing happened. It just finished downloading. I went to the downloaded location and clicked one of the two exe files -- the largest. It apparently unpacked files and requested that I remove my Microsoft Security Essentials, which it apparently did.

2. When that finished I still have NO indication that Bitdefender is operating -- to the contrary. When I go to "ALL PROGRAMS" it does not appear. My MSE is no longer functioning. I am running Malwarebytes Antimalware Premium, which IS running. I'm not completely unprotected, but my OS believes I am. It is prompting me to install an anti-virus program or turn on Microsoft Defender.

3. What have I missed?

4. I want to get this up and running or uninstall it -- ASAP.

Please help.

Thanks,

Louis

• UPDATE: I downloaded the Bitdefender uninstaller and used it. I also reinstalled MSE, which has never given me any issues. I'll await an authoritative answer on the installation of Bitdefender Free before I give it a second try. IMHO, it's not asking too much for the installation to let the installer know that it's finished and operating properly -- or advise on what the issues are. Perhaps I'm asking too much, but MOST other programs to exactly that -- provide feedback...even freeware.
    You should uninstall MSE and turn off Malwarebytes before installing BitDefender. I would also suggest a reboot in between.
  • Dch48 is correct.

I would uninstall all of the anti virus software, rebooting in between every time. Then I would install bitdefender first, reboot, then install mbam and restart.

It solved my problem of Malwarebytes bluescreening.

• Understood. That makes sense. Before reading your reply, I gave it another try.

I downloaded Bitdefender (directly from their website) and followed the prompts, which included rebooting after MSE was uninstalled. I had the same issues: NO indication that BD was running; NO indication that it was an installed program (not showing in my Task Manager or list of programs); NO feedback one way or the other -- confirming a successful installation or warning that the installation had failed. Gentlemen, I'm disappointed. I have used the Bitdefender UNINSTALL program (which works perfectly) to remove it and reinstall MSE.

What I did not do -- and am hesitant to do -- is to completely uninstall Malwarebytes Premium and MSE (rebooting each time) before installing Bitdefender.

I have been in communication with Bitdefender directly and they are always "pleasant," but have not (e.g.) recommended your suggestions.

I have 197 programs installed on my (clean) PC (Windows 7, Pro, 64-bit). They all installed without issue and run as designed. What is disconcerting is the lack of feedback (confirming or not) from the installation. I've been over this issue before. I hope Bitdefender is listening.

Thanks for your suggestions. If I get really bored, I'll give it one last shot.

I'm sure that Bitdefender is a great program, but geez....... :wacko:

Louis

Dch48 is correct.

I would uninstall all of the anti virus software, rebooting in between every time. Then I would install bitdefender first, reboot, then install mbam and restart.

It solved my problem of Malwarebytes bluescreening.

• You should have an icon on your desktop that if you click on it should show you a dashboard where you can see it is running and you can change settings

• I have nothing! Here is a scan of my Windows screen -- the lower right-hand corner after I've installed Bitdefender:

post-184170-1411089183_thumb.jpg

You should have an icon on your desktop that if you click on it should show you a dashboard where you can see it is running and you can change settings
  • All because it does not appear in window's taskbar does not mean it is not running. Check task manager to see if the gziface.exe task is running, and check to see if the service gzserv is on.

• All because it does not appear in window's taskbar does not mean it is not running. Check task manager to see if the gziface.exe task is running, and check to see if the service gzserv is on.
    Also click on the up arrow at the left end of your notification area and then click on customize. Find Bitdefender and choose "Show icon and notifications". It should show then.
  • Checking Task Manager is the FIRST thing I tried when there was no icon. TM shows nothing. Windows Control Panel Programs shows nada!

All because it does not appear in window's taskbar does not mean it is not running. Check task manager to see if the gziface.exe task is running, and check to see if the service gzserv is on.
  • gorbulan
    edited September 2014

Did you reinstall it with aboslutely zero other anti virus programs installed/running?

What I did not do -- and am hesitant to do -- is to completely uninstall Malwarebytes Premium and MSE (rebooting each time) before installing Bitdefender.

You have to do this. Malwarebytes is an addition to regular anti virus software. It must be installed after the "real" anti virus solution has been installed successfully.

Here is the link to clean your mbam installation completely:

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/...val-process-2x/

Uninstall mbam first, then uninstall the other antivirus bitdefender, mse or whatever is still running.