Bitdefender Permanently Disables Performance Options

Zenefess
edited August 2014 in Profiles

As the title states...

Even with "Autopilot" set to "x" and "Profile" set to "Standard" I'm unable to re-enable certain options (such as the taskbar/menus not sliding in/out, and all windows lacking a drop-shadow). Even if I manually re-enable the Performance Options for Windows 7's visual effects, doing so has no effect; the boxes are ticked, but the taskbar & menus still pop-up instantly (for example).

I've noticed other BD customers are experiencing issues with the profile function.

Is this going to be sorted out soon? I'm not exactly impressed with having my windows UI functionality taken from me...

Comments

• As the title states...

Even with "Autopilot" set to "x" and "Profile" set to "Standard" I'm unable to re-enable certain options (such as the taskbar/menus not sliding in/out, and all windows lacking a drop-shadow). Even if I manually re-enable the Performance Options for Windows 7's visual effects, doing so has no effect; the boxes are ticked, but the taskbar & menus still pop-up instantly (for example).

I've noticed other BD customers are experiencing issues with the profile function.

Is this going to be sorted out soon? I'm not exactly impressed with having my windows UI functionality taken from me...

yup after using profile the settings do revert back to original state

• So no word from the developers about this issue? Bitdefender 2014 doesn't have this problem, so I'll either fallback to that version or - if that's not an option - I'll wait the 30-odd days we have left on our subcriptions and purchase from another company...

• yup after using profile the settings do not revert back to original state
  • Hello,

The best thing for now is to disable the Profile tool.

• Zenefess
    edited August 2014

Profiles are disabled.

Within the "Profiles Settings" page I have "Profiles" set to "X" (and therefore all options below are greyed-out). ...And that's the problem; even with profiles disabled BitDefender is still preventing visual effects such as "Fade or slide menus into view", "Show shadows under windows", "Slide open combo boxes", etc....

Will this be fixed anytime soon?

• Possibly if you and the other affected users have submitted technical support requests and supplied any requested data.

Otherwise no it won't be.

Personally having read this sub-section of the forum I am more and more convinced staying with 2014 is the right decision for now. I'll keep an eye though and see if things improve later in the year.

• Hello,

Please update your Bitdefender product then check if everything is back to normal. The current build number is 18.14.0.1088

You can check it by right clicking on the Bitdefender icon from system tray, near Windows clock. In the menu choose About. Look at the number under Product Information to see the current iteration.

• I'm having the same problem as well. When the Game profile is enabled it turns off certain visual effects and I couldn't turn them back on, even with BitDefender uninstalled, or with profiles disabled. This happens on all my PCs and I am running the latest version of BitDefender Internet Security.

• Hi,

just wanted to say it's still an issue. Contacted support, waiting for a reply. Has anyone ever found out how to get the options working again? As mentioned above, reinstalling/removing BD won't work, system restore is sadly not an option, and the registry settings revert themselves on every reboot.

• Good news everyone!

I found the registry key that seems to have been forgotten once and thus isn't restored later. In regedit.exe go to

\HKU\S-1-5-21-SOMENUMERWITHOUT_CLASSES\Control Panel\Desktop\UserPreferenceMask

and set it to your liking. I've enabled all the options, and my key becomes 9E 3E 07 80 12 00 00 00.

For more info: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc957204.aspx

I tested this by having my laptop do the Game-Standard transition and my desktop do the same and compare registry changes. Turns out this was the one that mattered. I don't know what this setting does, exactly, I thought that maybe it had the same role as the NETMASK does for networking and just compares a set of bits to the actual settings before applying them. Would make things easier for BD to disable and re-enable features. Takes a logoff and logon to take effect, by the way.

Hope I helped!

• Sorry, the link is for Win2K, which is probably why the documentation made no sense. :D My value still stands, though.