Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bit Defender Threat Scanner .dmp

Options

Fix available here: http://www.bitdefender.com/support/Bitdefe...-2013-1124.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Received a cryptic popup "A problem has occurred in BitDefender Threat Scanner. A file containing error information has been created at C:\Windows\TEMP\BitDefender Threat Scanner.dmp. You are strongly encourage to send the file to the developers of the application for further investigation of the error."

OK -- doing so here as I am not aware of any other method of communicating to BD. Ooops! "Upload Failed. you are not permitted to upload this type of file"

Time for C Cleaner -- just one more in a litany of issues so far with BD free. Really too bad too.

Any info about how to solve the issue if it reoccurs would be appreciated.

Comments

• Davy49
    Options

Hi,

This morning when I powered up my laptop that I'm typing this message on, I too received the screen prompt that's mentioned here:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=44101

As we know..this version is labeled as " Free Edition "..so consequently, we sort of have to use the product in the 'as is' condition. As mur phy stated, " OK -- doing so here as I am not aware of any other method of communicating to BD. Ooops! "Upload Failed. you are not permitted to upload this type of file"

That's one big drawback to using a product that's offered without any technical support, I have C Cleaner installed on all my computer's..but do we really need to use it for this, or just wait for a 'fix' from BD ?

Thanks

David

• Hi,

This morning when I powered up my laptop that I'm typing this message on, I too received the screen prompt that's mentioned here:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=44101

As we know..this version is labeled as " Free Edition "..so consequently, we sort of have to use the product in the 'as is' condition. As mur phy stated, " OK -- doing so here as I am not aware of any other method of communicating to BD. Ooops! "Upload Failed. you are not permitted to upload this type of file"

That's one big drawback to using a product that's offered without any technical support, I have C Cleaner installed on all my computer's..but do we really need to use it for this, or just wait for a 'fix' from BD ?

Thanks

David

Dave -- there are many freeware AV scanners available, none of which have I had these issues in the 17 years I have been using computers and the internet. BD normally has been a payfor program and thus I have never used it in the past but after viewing reviews, decided to try out the free version. If BD wants to offer a freeware version, the company has to do so the same as other companies do and provide the product where it does not create as many issues as it solves. Because there are other scanners available, folks will move on. I'm hoping that BD developers correct the issues as they are not something that should befuddle the creators to the degree in which they appear to be doing.

• Dave -- there are many freeware AV scanners available, none of which have I had these issues in the 17 years I have been using computers and the internet. BD normally has been a payfor program and thus I have never used it in the past but after viewing reviews, decided to try out the free version. If BD wants to offer a freeware version, the company has to do so the same as other companies do and provide the product where it does not create as many issues as it solves. Because there are other scanners available, folks will move on. I'm hoping that BD developers correct the issues as they are not something that should befuddle the creators to the degree in which they appear to be doing.

This morning i also posted a message here explaining the same problem as yours and then the topic was closed: the fact i don't understand is

The issue is reproducing only on Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition.

which is really NOT true, because i have a licensed version of BitDefender Security Essential, which i paid 19.95€.

So please someone explain me what you mean with "Free Edition".

Thanks

• I have been very, very, VERY impressed with BitDefender AV Free. I installed it a couple of weeks ago and absolutely love it: non-intrusive, seemingly light on resources, and given its provenance, an EXCELLENT AV.

Yesterday I decided to forego my standard Windows Firewall and install Online Armor Free. It installed just fine and, to be honest, looks as thoroughly well thought out and engineered as BitDefender Free.

But this morning, this morning. . . Problems. BitDefender AV Free simply wouldn't run. The scanner is inoperative and the AV won't kick in. It recommended a restart, which I did (thinking it was a program restart) but it turned out to be a re-boot (might've been helpful to have clarified that.) The re-start achieved nothing at all as the same error messages relating to .dmp files appeared.

I now see that a message has been pinned to the start of this topic but in my case, it's not applicable. Why? Because I figured Online Armor had, in some way yesterday, screwed up BitDefender. So I have done ther following:

1) A Revo uninstall of BitDefender Free AV -- which I then stopped when the program's own uninstaller asked me if I wished to repair it. So-oooo. . . I selected "repair". It then reported that the repair had been 100% successful and I should re-start the computer. I did. And. . .:

2) No change. The error screens still appeared and BitDefender AV refused to run.

3) I then completely uninstalled BitDefender AV Free using Revo and re-booted.

4) I then re-installed BitDefender AV Free from the original downloaded file of two weeks ago. Installatioin went fine and BitDefender seemed to be working perfectly with Online Armor. Bit Defender also downloaded all the latest virus definitions. The scanner worked fine. It even ran one this morning.

5) I've been out for a few hours, so shut down this desktop computer (the 'sleep' option no longer works due to an unfixable Vista OS bug.)

6) I've turned the computer back on just now and guess what: BitDefender is throwing up the same error messages on start-up as before. And it isn't running. The scanner is OFF and the shield is OFF. And log-in isn't working, either.

My current situation is that I have NO functioning AV on this computer. I can't upload the .dmp files because Support doesn't extend to the free edition. (Fair enough.) But despite (a) a repair and (B) an uninstall and © a fresh install, BitDefender AV Free just won't run. At all. I've done three re-boot_s and still the same errors are occurring.

So-oo. . . can anyone offer any advice here other than to, er, just wait until the problem is fixed???

I'm running Malwarebytes PRO at the moment as a computer defence as well as OnlineArmor but really, I do NOT want to be in the position of having a computer without a functioning anti-virus program.

So-oo. . . can anyone offer any advice here other than to, er, just wait until the problem is fixed???

I'm running Malwarebytes PRO at the moment as a computer defence as well as OnlineArmor but really, I do NOT want to be in the position of having a computer without a functioning anti-virus program.

I'd be inclined to uninstall Armour and simply use the Windows Firewall which seems to be quite adequate.

• I'd be inclined to uninstall Armour and simply use the Windows Firewall which seems to be quite adequate.

I don't see why an uninstall of Online Armor is going to help resolve an issue flagged up worldwide today on computers running BitDefender AV Free and recognized as such by the developer itself.

I have, however, uninstalled BitDefender AV Free and won't be re-installing it not because of the kind of glitch that can affect any developer but because of the way this issue has been handled.

Look at the times of the posts in this thread on what is, after all, the developer's own forum. Look at the time of the developer's own post re this issue -- it's pinned at the top of this forum. And note the following:

Please rest assured that we will let you know about the fix as soon as we will launch it.

That post remains now exactly as it did then. No news of any fix. But go now to a separate, independent forum:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread....408&page=69

and the developer is not only posting there about the issue, but is confirming that it is fixed -- and including a link to details on the BitDefender website. And the time of that post would appear to be *before* the time of the developer's post here. So at one moment, on one forum, the problem is fixed, but a few moments later, on this forum, the problem isn't fixed.

If today is an example of how BitDefender crisis-manages a problem then I really don't wish to have anything more to do with the producer or the product. I have been impressed with the AV since installation and would have been willing to highly recommend it to others -- but no way would I do that now: a developer seemingly incapable of actually communicating with its own users clearly isn't a developer to rely upon.

• Thanks Dave for the Wilders link. The patch seems to involve BD not working at all. Mine seems to be fine except for the warning which I have not had since running C Cleaner. Now I have not rebooted so that might be the difference but never did find that BD was not functioning. I just wish that they would solve the other two issues I have had with BD as I prefer to use freeware whenever possible as we refer others in our PC Tech room in Paltalk and certainly I don't want to be purchasing or expecting others to purchase programs that may change and affect the effectiveness of each over time. I"d like to stay with BD freeware but we will see.

• And over a year later, the problem is still occurring.

I downloaded the free edition of Bitdefender about three weeks ago. I deleted it a few hours after. I decided that I liked my previous AV software better.

So, just yesterday, the pop-up started happening and continues to happen every 10-30 minutes. "A problem has occurred in BitDefender Threat Scanner. A file containing error information has been created at C:\Window\TEMP\Bit Defender Threat Scanner.dmp. You are strongly encouraged to send the file to the developers of the application for further investigation of the error.", Which is what I am doing now.

Please help me. Also, I have no desire to have to reinstall a program that I previously completely uninstalled just to get rid of this pop-up message. I do not trust BitDefender as a program.

Thank you.

• And over a year later, the problem is still occurring.

I downloaded the free edition of Bitdefender about three weeks ago. I deleted it a few hours after. I decided that I liked my previous AV software better.

So, just yesterday, the pop-up started happening and continues to happen every 10-30 minutes. "A problem has occurred in BitDefender Threat Scanner. A file containing error information has been created at C:\Window\TEMP\Bit Defender Threat Scanner.dmp. You are strongly encouraged to send the file to the developers of the application for further investigation of the error.", Which is what I am doing now.

Please help me. Also, I have no desire to have to reinstall a program that I previously completely uninstalled just to get rid of this pop-up message. I do not trust BitDefender as a program.

Thank you.

By the way, the link posted in the first comment to fix the pop-up doesn't work for me.

I get the pop-up, "BitDefender Repair Tool encountered an error. Please contact support to get help with this issue."

• Hi buddy, since you already uninstalled BD, there maybe just left of files or folders. Just go to C:\Window\TEMP\ look for that file or a Bitdefender folder and delete. But before you do that, how did you uninstall BD? 1.gif

• I haven't seen this problem in four different Windows installations. Vista Home Basic 32 bit, Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 Bit, Windows 8.1 64 bit, and even the Windows 10 Technical Preview 64 bit are all running BD Free without any problems. They all also are using the Windows Firewall.

• Dillinger4
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hi buddy, since you already uninstalled BD, there maybe just left of files or folders. Just go to C:\Window\TEMP\ look for that file or a Bitdefender folder and delete. But before you do that, how did you uninstall BD? 1.gif

I am getting the same message as the OP in a popup when the OS boot_s down. There is a BitDefender Threat Scanner.dmp file within the C:\Window\TEMP directory but when it is deleted it eventually comes back. Something is regenerating this file but I can't figure out what.

• I might of fixed the problem but won't know for sure until I power down tonight. I went into the registry editor and looked into HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Software -> BitDefender and deleted that key. Hopefully it will work and stop regenerating the .dmp file.

• The BDRepair_Tool_win32 fails to work. It gives an error "BitDefender Repair Tool encountered an error. Please contact support to get help with this issue."

• I downloaded the BitDefender Uninstall Tool. We will see if this works.

http://www.bitdefender.com/support/how-to-...on%22-1086.html

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭
    Options

Hello,

The uninstall tool for Bitdefender 2015 and older classic line products does not properly remove Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition.

This is why we have a separate uninstall tool for Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition:

http://www.bitdefender.com/files/Knowledge...installtool.exe

• Found this little tool that seems to be a good choice http://support.eset.com/kb146/?locale=en_US this will remove many antivirus tools completely. Trying to update Win7 to 10 and many of the resolutions are to remove old Virus tools and since this company and many others do not totally give a 100% no residual removal to track the use of their software something is still on here. Also I have seen the same error during the use of their tool in safe mode as everyone else has reported. I would try this tool as it seems to aggressively remove everything antivirus related even their own so you can install theirs later. Why cant more software companies do this initially? It would prevent alot of bad feelings towards companies if they did the right thing in the first place!!!

• brittanyh
    edited July 2016
    Options

Some anti-virus' use a Bit Defender engine to run, known as a third party developer, they let other companies buy and therefore us their software. I uninstalled my current anti-virus, which at the time was SpyBot Search & Destroy; after that, the error message failed to appear again. I have provided a list of some of the anti-virus software that uses a Bit Defender engine.

Note: This is not a complete list, try uninstalling anyway, even if not listed. Use different Anti-virus after uninstallation.

Auslogics Antivirus
    BullGuard
    Emsisoft
    e-Scan
    IObit Advanced SystemCare with Antivirus 2013
    F-Secure
    G-Data
    Hauri (ViRobot)
    Imen
    Immunet
    Lavasoft Total Security
    MultiCore Antivirus