Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Exclusions Not Working For External Drives In General

Options

The problem was already signaled a few years ago in a previous version and still exists with Antivirus Plus 2014 and 2015.

I want Bitdefender to avoid putting ANY file from an external drive in quarantine. I should not even have to mention why, but to pre-empt the issue, here is the main reason: I do not want Bitdefender to delete legitimate, false positive files from my friends' USB drives when we share files, and I myself keep on external drives some useful backup programs that keep being quarantined against my will.

On my computer's internal drive, it is not a problem: I excluded my whole Installation Files Folder, and Bitdefender leaves it alone.

On external drives, however, only specific file exclusions work. I tried excluding preventively all external drive letters ever used (both for On-access and On-demand), and also the specific folders where the files are, but to no avail.

The only thing that works is to exclude the specific files that Bitdefender keeps putting in quarantine. It is possible to do so for my own backup files, but still, it might be time consuming to restore quarantined files and exclude them one by one, drive letter by drive letter. But most importantly, it is not an option for my friends' external drives: I do not know which specific files might potentially be quarantined, and if they are quarantined, the time we have for file exchange (usually done in a hurry before one departs) is often too limited to make restoration and further exclusion an acceptable option.

So, to avoid messing with other people's files, I have to preventively deactivate security options from Bitdefender, which is paradoxical: the mix of paranoia and deep-down simplicity of the antivirus forces me to go through a lot of fuss to avoid ad hoc problems, at the price of a lower security protection in general.

Exclusions apart, Bitdefender must add a SIMPLE, STRAIGHTFORWARD and EFFECTIVE option to avoid automatically quarantining files from USB drives without first asking the user. Is there an option, anywhere, that can force Bitdefender to ASK what to to with ALL suspicious files not specifically excluded?

I find it annoying to have to choose between letting the antivirus quarantine any file it finds suspicious, or deactivating otherwise useful security options altogether. I want to keep Active Virus Control on, but the most sensible option would be to ask for a confirmation if I so require – an option other antiviruses normally offer.

I chose Bitdefender for its reported effectiveness, but the actual complexity entailed by its overall simplistic approach will refrain me from buying it again... unless an option is offered, right from the start, to confirm with a simple pop-up what should be done upon detection of a suspicious file, instead of forcing me to go look through events, cancelling unwanted automatic actions taken, and then adding an exclusion fast enough to avoid a new unwanted action...

Comments

• 17.5. Managing quarantined files

Bitdefender isolates the malware-infected files it cannot disinfect and the

suspicious files in a secure area named quarantine. When a virus is in

quarantine it cannot do any harm because it cannot be executed or read.

By default, quarantined files are automatically sent to Bitdefender Labs in

order to be analyzed by the Bitdefender malware researchers. If malware

presence is confirmed, a signature is released to allow removing the malware.

In addition, Bitdefender scans the quarantined files after each malware

signature update. Cleaned files are automatically moved back to their original

location.

To check and manage quarantined files, follow these steps:

1. Open the Bitdefender window.

2. Access the Protection panel.

3. Click the Antivirus module.

4. In the Antivirus window, select the Quarantine tab.

5. Quarantined files are managed automatically by Bitdefender according

to the default quarantine settings. Though not recommended, you can

adjust the quarantine settings according to your preferences.

I hope that helps you out. 1.gif