How Can Orange Status Due To No Update In 24 Hours Go Green Without Connection To Internet?

A strange thing has happened - can anyone explain this...?

Sometimes I work with my PC not connected to the internet. Yesterday I was doing so and my Bitdefender window was orange due to not having updated/connected to server in the last 24 hours. Well, I minimised my window and did my work, without connecting (as far as I am aware) to the internet. This morning I turned my PC on and fired up Bitdefender window before connecting to the internet (broadband modem still switched off). And this time the Boitdefender window was green and without any orange warning of no connection in last 24 hours.

Can you understand my confusion? How can this occur?

Thanks for any help! :wacko:

By the way, for informatuion I have checked events list for update and there were successful updates listed today at 2014-11-17 11:42:08 (having switched PC on at around 10:30) and the previous one on 2014-11-15 18:26:38. In between these successful updates there are ten events labelled "Update encountered an error" - possibly because I was working on my PC without connection to internet. Event message reads "Bitdefender could not resolve the update server configured" etc but I'm just ignoring these. But surely there should be another message of "successful update" if my status goes from orange yesterday ("no update in last 24 hours") to green today at 10:30ish?

Comments

• I think it's probably the connection for your BD software to the update server. I think it has a period of time to connect to the server. Maybe it went green because it can contact the server already. 1.gif

• unless BD can suddenly flick a physical switch on a modem I fail to see how it updated...

it does seem very odd behaviour. the date and time on your computer haven't been adjusted at all?

• unless BD can suddenly flick a physical switch on a modem I fail to see how it updated...

it does seem very odd behaviour. the date and time on your computer haven't been adjusted at all?

No, the date and time on my computer remains synchronised with standard time, UK time zone unchanged.

I can't understand it. Does anyone know of any system log of date times whcih I could refer to showing connection and disconnection to the internet? I am using WindowsXP. The desktop PC (HPCompaq dc7100 Pentium 4 fairly old but very good workhorse) in question does not have a wireless connection (as far as I am aware!) but uses network cable connection to fairly new (upgraded in last year) BTinternet broadband modem. It is connected to a Brother DCP-9010CN printer but this version does not have wireless connection as far as I am aware (surely I must be getting paranoid to even mention that!!!???)

Weird. At the moment I can think of only three explanations. Either (1) I have done some sleep walking and connected my computer to the internet and then forgot about it. Or (2) there is a device within my system which connects to the internet without my knowing it. Or (3) it is possible for Bitdefender software can change from orange to green update status without being connected to internet.

I think Occam's razor suggests its the explanation with fewest assumptions which suggests (2) or (3) which both have one assumption. Of course I would like to check repeatability but I am sorry to say this may not occur in the immediate future as I am likely to be connected to the internet in the course of my work. But I'll see if I can make observations at siome point and get back to you when off the internet for more than 24 hours... in the meantime please feel free to post conspiracy theories...

• I think it's probably the connection for your BD software to the update server. I think it has a period of time to connect to the server. Maybe it went green because it can contact the server already. 1.gif

But Damian, it should not be possible for my computer to connect any server if my broadband modem is powered down or disconnected, don't you agree?

• Analyze the events in the system log, there should be information on all connections.

• Analyze the events in the system log, there should be information on all connections.

Thanks Rampant. I am not experienced at doing that but the internet tells me to find my system log using Control Panel/Administrator Tools/Event Viewer

I can tell you that UK calendar day 16th November was the 24 hours when I did not (knowingly) connect to the internet with this PC. The following includes a full list of events on 16th and 17th November date-times - can anyone explain whether there are any clues in these logs as I'm not really sure what it all means???

16/11/14 23:57:28 (info) eventlog Microsoft ® Windows ® 5.01. 2600 Service Pack 3 Multiprocessor Free.

16/11/14 23:57:28 (info) eventlog The Event log service was started.

16/11/14 23:56:07 (info) b57w2k Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet: Driver initialized successfully.

16/11/14 23:56:09 (warning) b57w2k Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet: The network link is down. Check to make sure the network cable is properly connected.

16/11/14 23:57:47 (error) Service Control manager The Canon Camera Access Library 8 service failed to start due to the following error: The pipe has been ended.

16/11/14 23:57:47 (info) Service Control manager The Terminal Services service was successfully sent a start control.

16/11/14 23:57:47 (info) Service Control manager The Terminal Services service entered the running state.

16/11/14 23:57:47 (info) Service Control manager The HTTP SSL service was successfully sent a start control.

16/11/14 23:57:47 (info) Service Control manager The Network Location Awareness (NLA) service was successfully sent a start control.

16/11/14 23:57:47 (info) Service Control manager The Network Location Awareness (NLA) service entered the running state.

16/11/14 23:57:48 (info) Service Control manager The HTTP SSL service entered the running state.

16/11/14 23:57:48 (info) Service Control manager The Application Layer Gateway Service service was successfully sent a start control.

16/11/14 23:57:48 (info) Service Control manager The Application Layer Gateway Service service entered the running state.

16/11/14 23:58:23 (info) Service Control manager The Fast User Switching Compatibility service was successfully sent a start control.

16/11/14 23:58:23 (info) Service Control manager The Fast User Switching Compatibility service entered the running state.

16/11/14 23:58:31 (info) Service Control manager The SSDP Discovery Service service was successfully sent a start control.

16/11/14 23:58:34 (info) Service Control manager The SSDP Discovery Service service entered the running state.

16/11/14 23:58:40 (info) Service Control manager The IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service service was successfully sent a start control.

16/11/14 23:58:40 (info) Service Control manager The IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service service entered the running state.

16/11/14 23:58:47 (info) Service Control manager The IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service service entered the stopped state.

17/11/14 00:11:53 (info) Service Control manager The Telephony service entered the running state.

17/11/14 00:11:53 (info) Service Control manager The Remote Access Connection Manager service was successfully sent a start control.

17/11/14 00:11:54 (info) Service Control manager The Remote Access Connection Manager service entered the running state.

17/11/14 02:40:10 (info) eventlog The Event log service was stopped.

17/11/14 10:25:55 (info) eventlog Microsoft ® Windows ® 5.01. 2600 Service Pack 3 Multiprocessor Free.

17/11/14 10:25:55 (info) eventlog The Event log service was started.

17/11/14 10:26:14 (error) Service Control manager The Canon Camera Access Library 8 service failed to start due to the following error: The pipe has been ended.

17/11/14 10:25:16 (info) b57w2k Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet: Driver initialized successfully.

17/11/14 10:25:19 (warning) b57w2k Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet: The network link is down. Check to make sure the network cable is properly connected.

17/11/14 10:26:21 (info) Service Control manager The HTTP SSL service was successfully sent a start control.

17/11/14 10:26:21 (info) Service Control manager The Network Location Awareness (NLA) service was successfully sent a start control.

17/11/14 10:26:21 (info) Service Control manager The Network Location Awareness (NLA) service entered the running state.

17/11/14 10:26:22 (info) Service Control manager The HTTP SSL service entered the running state.

17/11/14 10:26:23 (info) Service Control manager The Terminal Services service entered the running state.

17/11/14 10:26:23 (info) Service Control manager The Fast User Switching Compatibility service was successfully sent a start control.

17/11/14 10:26:23 (info) Service Control manager The Fast User Switching Compatibility service entered the running state.

17/11/14 10:26:31 (info) Service Control manager The Application Layer Gateway Service service was successfully sent a start control.

17/11/14 10:26:31 (info) Service Control manager The Application Layer Gateway Service service entered the running state.

17/11/14 10:26:46 (info) Service Control manager The IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service service was successfully sent a start control.

17/11/14 10:26:46 (info) Service Control manager The SSDP Discovery Service service was successfully sent a start control.

17/11/14 10:26:47 (info) Service Control manager The IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service service entered the running state.

17/11/14 10:26:50 (info) Service Control manager The SSDP Discovery Service service entered the running state.

17/11/14 10:26:54 (info) Service Control manager The IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service service entered the stopped state.

17/11/14 10:29:40 (info) b57w2k Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet: Network controller configured for 1Gb full-duplex link.

17/11/14 10:29:44 (info) Tcpip The system detected that network adapter Broadcom...Ethernet - Packet Scheduler Miniport was connected to the network, and has initiated normal operation over the network adapter.

17/11/14 10:30:48 (warning) Dhcp Your computer has automatically configured the IP address for the Network Card with network address ************. The IP address being used is ***.***.**.***.

17/11/14 11:00:16 (info) Service Control manager The Telephony service entered the running state.

17/11/14 11:00:16 (info) Service Control manager The Remote Access Connection Manager service was successfully sent a start control.

17/11/14 11:00:17 (info) Service Control manager The Remote Access Connection Manager service entered the running state.

17/11/14 19:44:44 (warning) b57w2k Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet: The network link is down. Check to make sure the network cable is properly connected.

17/11/14 19:44:49 (info) Tcpip The system detected that network adapter Broadcom...Ethernet - Packet Scheduler Miniport was disconnected from the network, and the adapter's network configuration has been released. If the network adapter was not disconnected, this may indicate that it has malfunctioned. Please contact your vendor for updated drivers.

17/11/14 19:44:50 (info) Browser The browser has forced an election on network \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{*****blahblahblah*****} because a master browser was stopped.

18/11/14 00:14:37 (info) b57w2k Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet: Network controller configured for 1Gb full-duplex link.

.....etc....

• 17/11/14 10:29:40 (info) b57w2k Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet: Network controller configured for 1Gb full-duplex link.

17/11/14 10:29:44 (info) Tcpip The system detected that network adapter Broadcom...Ethernet - Packet Scheduler Miniport was connected to the network, and has initiated normal operation over the network adapter.

17/11/14 10:30:48 (warning) Dhcp Your computer has automatically configured the IP address for the Network Card with network address ************. The IP address being used is ***.***.**.***.

There seems to be connected to the network, but I'm not sure.

• antikythera
    edited November 2014

yes it does in that particular quoted instance indicate a connection. that was established earlier at 2014-11-17 10:29:44 in the log.

however to confirm no connection for the whole of the 24 hours before your status change from orange to green we would need to see (or you can search for your own peace of mind without posting it here) the same from 2014-11-15 18:26:38. to 2014-11-17 11:42:08 inclusive.

• Cosmic37
    edited November 2014
    yes it does in that particular quoted instance indicate a connection. that was established earlier at 2014-11-17 10:29:44 in the log.

however to confirm no connection for the whole of the 24 hours before your status change from orange to green we would need to see (or you can search for your own peace of mind without posting it here) the same from 2014-11-15 18:26:38. to 2014-11-17 11:42:08 inclusive.

Well, I have described all the system log events that I can see for the whole of 16/11/14 and 17/11/14 but if you would like to see the events on 15/11/14 after 18:00:00 say then they are as follows:

15/11/14 19:28:01 (warning) b57w2k Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet: The network link is down. Check to make sure the network cable is properly connected.

15/11/14 19:28:06 (info) Tcpip The system detected that network adapter Broadcom...Ethernet - Packet Scheduler Miniport was disconnected from the network, and the adapter's network configuration has been released. If the network adapter was not disconnected, this may indicate that it has malfunctioned. Please contact your vendor for updated drivers.

15/11/14 19:28:08 (info) Browser The browser has forced an election on network \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{****blah***} because a master browser was stopped.

15/11/14 21:00:29 (info) b57w2k Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet: Network controller configured for 1Gb full-duplex link.

15/11/14 21:00:31 (info) Tcpip The system detected that network adapter Broadcom...Ethernet - Packet Scheduler Miniport was connected to the network, and has initiated normal operation over the network adapter.

15/11/14 21:21:25 (info) eventlog The Event log service was stopped.

That's all for those six hours. Is it sufficient information to learn something? What are the relevant logs from which we can deduce the beginning and end of a connection?

Thanks for any explanation!

• By the way, I must say I have no idea what are all these services and whether they are normal... can anyone advise...?

The Terminal Services service

The HTTP SSL service

The Network Location Awareness (NLA) service

The Application Layer Gateway Service service

The Fast User Switching Compatibility service

The SSDP Discovery Service service

The Telephony service

The Remote Access Connection Manager service

• 15/11/14 21:00:29 (info) b57w2k Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet: Network controller configured for 1Gb full-duplex link.

15/11/14 21:00:31 (info) Tcpip The system detected that network adapter Broadcom...Ethernet - Packet Scheduler Miniport was connected to the network, and has initiated normal operation over the network adapter.

These events indicate a connection to the network, but that's what initiates the connection, I do not understand.

The HTTP SSL service

The Telephony service

This standard system services, they run every time the computer, and are necessary for normal system operation.

• antikythera
    edited November 2014
    By the way, I must say I have no idea what are all these services and whether they are normal... can anyone advise...?

The HTTP SSL service

The Telephony service

yes they are normal. if you want to find out more about these services and which could be turned off to free up resources on your PC google 'blackviper service configurations'. I would post a link but it will most likely only be removed by moderators.

no need to see the rest if you say there is nothing there. basically I can't see how it could update if (a) the machine was shutdown or hibernating (not in suspend/standby) during that time and/or (b ) you switched off the BT Home Hub at the mains or via the on/off switch.

• Cosmic37
    edited November 2014
    yes they are normal. if you want to find out more about these services and which could be turned off to free up resources on your PC google 'blackviper service configurations'. I would post a link but it will most likely only be removed by moderators.

no need to see the rest if you say there is nothing there. basically I can't see how it could update if (a) the machine was shutdown or hibernating (not in suspend/standby) during that time and/or (b ) you switched off the BT Home Hub at the mains or via the on/off switch.

The PC was shutdown during most of 16/11/14 until I switched it on around 23:45.

The broadband modem would have been switched off and disconnected from power because that's the way I like it to be when I am not using it. When I switched the PC on late on 16/11/14 the modem was off and I fired up Bitdefender window which was orange. I minimised the window and worked offline a bit.

Next morning 17/11/14 at 10:30ish I switched on PC with modem still switched off and fired up Bitdefender window which was green.

This is not normal, correct? Or have I misunderstood something? Is there any other log file I should check to explain things?

Thanks.

• The PC was shutdown during most of 16/11/14 until I switched it on around 23:45.

The broadband modem would have been switched off and disconnected from power because that's the way I like it to be when I am not using it. When I switched the PC on late on 16/11/14 the modem was off and I fired up Bitdefender window which was orange. I minimised the window and worked offline a bit.

Next morning 17/11/14 at 10:30ish I switched on PC with modem still switched off and fired up Bitdefender window which was green.

This is not normal, correct? Or have I misunderstood something? Is there any other log file I should check to explain things?

Thanks.

Definitely not normal. I don't think you could make it any clearer that the PC was offline for that period. If you like you can try taking this up with Bitdefender via a support ticket on their contact us page at www.bitdefender.com. However you will most likely not hear back from them for a good 2 weeks at least. This morning the page won't even load so I can't directly link to it...

I can't be of any further help. I am going to be out of action for at least 2 weeks if not the rest of the year. So good luck with resolving it.

• New test - problem repeatable!!!

I was away all yesterday and returned this evening. The PC and broadband modem were switched off while I was away and I turned on the PC with network cable (broadband wired connection) disconnected. The first thing I did was fire up Bitdefender window and it was orange due to no update. I clicked "solve problem" and it complained that it could not resolve the problem (not surprising since PC not connected to internet so could not update).

Then I went away to eat some dinner and left PC switched on but disconnected. I came back to check a while later (more than an hour) and the Bitdefender had gone green. The printer was switched off with its side switch (still plugged in). The broadband modem had been switched on after I saw the orange page and it has a wireless signal but as I said before the desktop PC has no wireless receiver (to my knowledge) and the network cable was disconnected - the broadband modem was being used by another computer.

So, I am wondering whether my PC connects wirelessly to the internet and updates Bitdefender without my knowledge and using a (wireless) device unknown to me. Or whether Bitdefender is claiming to have "last updated today", "last scanned today" (changing from orange to green update OK status) despite the absence of an internet connection???

I just thought of an alternative explanation - maybe my Bitdefender is not genuine Bitdefender?

Can someone save me from paranoia and give an engineering explanation for any of this?