[solved] Device Manager: Bitdefender Avc Hv Yello Mark

Hi,

For some reason it seems that I've a driver issue with the BitDefender. (check the attachment file)

Any idea how to fix it?

Thank you.

post-185510-1415811569_thumb.png

Comments

• Hiya,

Run a repair -

Control Panel>Programs and Features>Bitdefender 2015>double click and choose "Repair". Let it complete, reboot your computer. Hopefully that will solve the problem. :)

Ro.

• Unfortunately it didn't work for me... :(

• Unfortunately it didn't work for me... :(

I have this too now. It appears to me to be a new resulting incompatibility with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. I uninstalled both and then reinstalled Bitdefender and the error went away. Once i reinstalled Malwarebytes it came back. This appears to be a recent phenomenon because I have run both side by side for almost a year with no issues.

• Hi,

I have been using Bitdefdner 2015 TS for months without issue and today in Windows Device Manager it reports that Windows cannot load the BitDefender AVC HV driver with error 31 - the request is not supported.

I tried a Bitdefedner repair and that didn't help.

I uninstalled and resinstalled and was ok, but a day or so later the problem came back, I assume because of an update.

Is anyone looking at this issue? How does it affect AV working on my machine?

Build 18.19.0.1345

Windows 8.1 64bit

• garioch7
    garioch7 Defender of the month ✭✭✭✭✭

My device manager is showing the same thing and I am running MBAM Pro as well, with exceptions added to both programs. Hopefully the gurus at BD will find a fix.

Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Former Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor

• Also found this problem. This hypervisor driver probably have problems with virtualization, 64-bit systems.

Windows 7 64bit

• orion8245
    orion8245
    edited November 2014

Same problem here. I think it started after the windows updates from last Tuesday but I'm not sure.

Reinstalling and/or repairing the product doesn't work. You can manually install the driver and the problem goes away but as soon you reboot the pc it has the yellow mark again. I don't have Malwarebytes installed.

Windows 8.1

Steven

• garioch7

I also have this problem. It was not there before the latest major BitDefender update this week. Now it is, so it is apparently related to something in the latest BD version release.

Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

• garioch7

I have this issue as well, as I reported above. Before updating my laptop today (I had already updated my main tower with the latest BD major release this week), I checked in my Device Manager,

and the Bitdefender device was working fine.

After I updated and rebooted Bitdefender, the device has the yellow triangle and a Code 31 error in my laptop just like my main tower.

I don't think that there is any doubt that the latest BD major release sideswiped something. Both computers run Malwarebytes Premium and Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit with exceptions added to BD, MBAM, and MAE.

The programs were running fine together until this latest update.

I hope that BD can find a fix. I don't like seeing my anti-virus device showing as non-functional. It does not give one "warm fuzzies." Lots of bad stuff out there in cyberspace.

Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

• I'm having this problem as well. Did an online search for answers, but all of them were over a year old.

• I have the same problem too. BD TS 2015 on win 8.1 Pro 64bit.

• I'm trying out Bitdefender Total Security 2015 and have found an issue with a device that it installs under System Devices.

I'm running Windows 8.0 with all latest updates except for 8.1, since that upgrade has destroyed my system to no end (3 times now).

The device shows an exclamation point in it with this message: This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)

I am attaching small jpg captures of choice dialogs from inside Device Mgr.

post-185649-1416295957_thumb.jpg post-185649-1416295967_thumb.jpg post-185649-1416295597_thumb.jpg

I'm unsure if this is an ongoing issue? I found some references in past products but none that dealt with this direct.

I'd like to verify that the product is working as it should so I can eval for purchase.

Thanks,

Vic, aka s.e.t.i.

• bduser2015
    edited November 2014

Same problem here.

System:

Windows 7 Home Premium x64;

Sony Vaio; i7; 8Gb;

Product:

Bitdefender Total Security 2015;

Other security software:

installed - MBAM Premium;

uninstalled (with uninstall tool) - avast! Internet Security 2015;

Other essential software:

OpenVPN; Oracle VM VirtualBox (tried to uninstall and re-install);

Tried to resolve with repair and manual driver update - no luck.

Support, please either help to resolve or confirm your software functionality not much affected by the issue.

Thanx,

Awaiting yours kind attention,

- V

• I'm facing same issue. I tried to uninstall BIS and reinstall it, but I haven't resolved it. When I reinstall build 18.17.x.x, BIS work normally. However, this issue has occur since update to latest build 18.19.0.1345.

My computer runs Windows 8.1 and I only use BIS to protect it.

• Please open CMD with elevated privileges, enter the command below and post back your results. Thank you!

sc query avchv

• Here are my results, the driver does not work.

post-39675-1416406912_thumb.png

• Please open CMD with elevated privileges, enter the command below and post back your results. Thank you!

sc query avchv

...and mine:

post-449-1416407335_thumb.jpg

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭
    edited November 2014

Thank you for posting your results.

First of all we want to stress that this is not the Active Virus Control driver and does not affect the AVC functionality from Bitdefender.

AVCHV.SYS is the function driver that commands the hypervisor (start, stop, deliver options). On a performant CPU / if the CPU has more than 4 logical cores, avchv behaves differently.

Could you confirm how many cores does the CPU of the affected PC have?

Thank you in advance, I will get back with more information from our developers as soon as I receive them.

• AMD CPU, 6 cores.

post-39675-1416409558_thumb.png

• viggys
    edited November 2014

I want to say thank you to all the posters and replies, I have been trying to find out information on this for a week, i joined this forum just to search it for answers so i am new here. I tried everything i know " which is not much" to fix this, even a fresh install and customer support is trying to help also. There latest reply to me was"am i running a virtual machine." I had to goggle that for a bit. Anyway i have uninstalled every way i could and re installed bitdefender to no avail. I even did a fresh windows install thinking it was a windows system problem, so don't waste your time with that it did not fix it. For me the only way to fix it is to go to devices and printers and repair it on the icon of my pc. It reinstalls the driver but as soon as i restart it shows the problem for me. Just wanted to save some people some time.

• Thank you for posting your results.

First of all we want to stress that this is not the Active Virus Control driver and does not affect the AVC functionality from Bitdefender.

AVCHV.SYS is the function driver that commands the hypervisor (start, stop, deliver options). On a performant CPU / if the CPU has more than 4 logical cores, avchv behaves differently.

Could you confirm how many cores does the CPU of the affected PC have?

Thank you in advance, I will get back with more information from our developers as soon as I receive them.

CPU

Cores 4

Threads 8

Name Intel Core i7 740QM

Code Name Clarksfield

Package Socket 989 rPGA

Technology 45nm

Specification Intel Core i7 CPU Q 740 @ 1.73GHz

CMD

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]

Copyright © 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>sc query avchv

SERVICE_NAME: avchv

TYPE : 1 KERNEL_DRIVER

STATE : 1 STOPPED

WIN32_EXIT_CODE : 1077 (0x435)

SERVICE_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)

CHECKPOINT : 0x0

WAIT_HINT : 0x0

• Intel Core i7 860 @ 2.80GHz

Cores 4

Threads 8

• I am having the same problem as well now. I have an i7 4770K with hyperthreading enabled. So what exactly IS missing/not working with this error?

• thegilpins
    thegilpins ✭✭✭
    edited November 2014

This is issue is also causing explorer.exe to periodically crash on windows boot for me. Never had an issue with Bitdefender until the device manager error. I have had to uninstall Bitdefender so I can boot into windows without issue.

Any update on the device mananger error?

I have a 3770K, 4 cores, 8 threads.

• Intel Core i7 4th Gen @ 2.2GHz

Core: 4

Threads: 8

• CPU Brand Name: Intel® Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz

Processor Name: Intel Core i7-3630QM

Original Processor Frequency: 2400.0 MHz

CPU Stepping: E1

CPU Code Name: Ivy Bridge-MB SV

Number of CPU Cores: 4

Number of Logical CPUs: 8

SERVICE_NAME: avchv

TYPE : 1 KERNEL_DRIVER

STATE : 1 STOPPED

WIN32_EXIT_CODE : 1077 (0x435)

SERVICE_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)

CHECKPOINT : 0x0

WAIT_HINT : 0x0

• Syber010101
    edited November 2014

We're having the same issue but with the corporate version. I wish someone would explain better if this driver is leftover and can be removed or what. We were planning on deploying this to over 500 computers but can't until this issue is better addressed.

• Stagnant
    edited November 2014

Phew, glad I'm not the only one with this problem. Went into device manager to look at some stuff and seen the ! on the AVC HV. Running an i7 2700k (4 cores, 8 threads). This had to have just happened recently as I go to device manager quite frequently and today is the first I've seen this.

• Thank you for posting your results.

What does this mean? What is actually affected? Any word on a fix?

• Any news on this at all?

• Company Digital Security reported the discovery of serious security problems in the popular products for anti-virus protection with hardware virtualization technology. Link to presentation, developers may bitdefender, it will be interesting.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bkfajegn2mn35ng/...jI9n9Dl2Wa?dl=0

We are talking about packages McAfee DeepDefender, Avast DeepScreen and Kaspersky Internet Security 15. Digital Security company stresses that these products were selected for the study on the grounds that at the time of the study, only they use hardware virtualization. This technology provides the ability to work at a lower compared to the operating system kernel level, thus enhancing the degree of protection against various types of threats.

• Hello,

Please keep in mind that the AVC functionality is not affected by any means. We are currently working on a patch for reinstalling AVCHV driver.

Thank you all for your patience. We will post updates as we receive them from our developers.

• viggys
    edited December 2014

Can someone please explain this fix i was told to do. not really sure how to do it .

Bitdefender Support Center via mandrillapp.com

11:50 AM (40 minutes ago)

to me

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your patience.

Our developers compiled a patch which should solve this situation.

1. Please save the archive uploaded here to your PC where AVCHV driver seems to be disabled, then start Windows in Safe Mode:

http://speedy.sh/mgMGn/avchv.rar

Here is a Microsoft article that will guide you to start the computer in Safe Mode:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows...er-in-safe-mode

2. Decompress the archive and run this file: avchv_reinstall.cmd

3. Reboot the machine for the changes to apply.

We are looking forward to your results.

• Sorry figured it out. Needed a program to decompress it, i first installed Win Zip but all it did was try to sell me something and added tool bars to my browser, NOT LOL, after a quick system restore i was told by a friend to download 7zip which did the trick and was not a paid program it was really free. As of now it fixed my driver issue. I saved 7zip decompress to my desktop and in safe mode just clicked the file mentioned by the customer service person. Thank you helping me out.

• I'm having the same problem. I'm running an 8 core AMD and Windows 8.1 Pro. I ran the patch in safe mode but it only appears to have uninstalled the device, it's not in device manager anymore.

• The instructions viggys is mentioning are valid. We would love to have some feedback on how the patch performed on other systems as well so we can forward them to our developers. Thank you!

• After applying the patch.

post-39675-1417614563_thumb.png

post-39675-1417614582_thumb.png

• The instructions viggys is mentioning are valid. We would love to have some feedback on how the patch performed on other systems as well so we can forward them to our developers. Thank you!

The patch was unsuccessful for me. I am running a machine with dual xeon processors and a total of 24 cores.

I received an error message that said "Incompatible CPU detected."

post-186101-1417619205_thumb.jpg

• Done!

After applying the patch, the AVC HV entry, simply disappeared from the Device Manager.

Windows 7 x64

Processor Intel i7 860 with 4 Cores and 8 Threads.

• Ok I tried it again only I added a pause to the end of avchv_reinstall.cmd so I could see what it's doing since it closed the window before. It does remove the avchv device but it errors on the reinstall saying..

"Too many processors found: 8

Incompatible CPU detected."

• I have an Acronis system image that was created on Oct 20th 2014, before this error started. I restored from that image and the device works fine, but as soon as I update bitdefender the problem reappears. It's definitely a problem caused by a bitdefender update that came out sometime between Oct 20th and now. I tried the patch again and get the same error. Here are some screenshots.

post-186080-1417649330_thumb.jpg

post-186080-1417649338_thumb.jpg

• Thank you very much for posting back your results after running the indicated patch.

We have increased the priority and should be solved soon by the Bitdefender developers. We will keep you updated here.

• @ Georgia

Explain please, what function in the hypervisor, how it works?

Thanks.

• Thank you very much for posting back your results after running the indicated patch.

We have increased the priority and should be solved soon by the Bitdefender developers. We will keep you updated here.

Is there any news on this? Thanks.

• Please let me know about the fix for this issue.

Info of my rig:

I7-4790K, Cores 4, Logic: 8

Memory: 16Gb

Windows 8.1 64Bits

• Nesivos
    Nesivos
    edited December 2014

For what is worth.

I am using BDIS 2015 on an AMD Athlon 2x with W7-SP1

Bitdefender AVC HC is working

Driver file number is 3.10.7096.4224 dated 11/2/2012

BDIS 2015 version number is 18.19.0.1396

My Intel i5s are running W8.1 with BD W8 Security and there is not a Bitdefender AVC HC driver listed under Systems devices.

• RobWilJas
    edited December 2014
    For what is worth.

I am using BDIS 2015 on an AMD Athlon 2x with W7-SP1

Bitdefender AVC HC is working

Driver file number is 3.10.7096.4224 dated 11/2/2012

BDIS 2015 version number is 18.19.0.1396

My Intel i5s are running W8.1 with BD W8 Security and there is not a Bitdefender AVC HC driver listed under Systems devices.

Yeah it seems to only be a problem if you have a CPU with more than four hardware or logical cores. That's interesting about the ones with W8 security not having it at all though.

• <_<

I, too, just noticed that I have the same issue. I did a "Repair"on Bitdefender but still have the issue. Here is my system information:

Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2015:

Build 18.19.0.1369

Virus Signatures:6105318

Engine Version: 7.58210

Windows 7 64 bit

Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 980 @3.33GHz (12 CPUs), ~3.3GHz

Memory: 24576MB RAM

Vinny Ciro

• Rampant
    Rampant ✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Yeah it seems to only be a problem if you have a CPU with more than four hardware or logical cores. That's interesting about the ones with W8 security not having it at all though.

That's right, I left for a system of two processor cores of the six, and the service appeared in the device manager, only the driver is missing digital signature.

post-39675-1418230244_thumb.png

post-39675-1418230319_thumb.png

• Inclusion of all six cores, the problem returns hypervisor.

post-39675-1418231283_thumb.png