Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

How To Restore A File In Pending Cleanup Status?

Options

Bitdefender put two of my file in Pending Cleanup status. I want to check it with VirusTotal but the files are neither restorable or exist as *.gzquar at original location. How could I restore them?

Comments

• Bitdefender put two of my file in Pending Cleanup status. I want to check it with VirusTotal but the files are neither restorable or exist as *.gzquar at original location. How could I restore them?

To restore quarantined files:

1. Open the interface window by pressing on the tray icon.

2. On the Quarantine panel press SHOW FILES or:

• Press on LOGS at the bottom of the main interface window.

• Press on Threat Control at the bottom of the LOGS window.

3. Move the pointer to the Actions column for the particular file you want and press on the Restore icon*.

*The icons in the
    Actions column will not show unless your pointer is on that column.

• xerubium
    edited December 2014
    Options
    To restore quarantined files:

1. Open the interface window by pressing on the tray icon.

2. On the Quarantine panel press SHOW FILES or:

• Press on LOGS at the bottom of the main interface window.

• Press on Threat Control at the bottom of the LOGS window.

3. Move the pointer to the Actions column for the particular file you want and press on the Restore icon*.

*The icons in the
    Actions column will not show unless your pointer is on that column.

I know how to restore the quarantined files. But the "Reason" column says "Pending Cleanup", and while I move the pointer on the "Action" Column, only the the button for "Open the containing folder" show up. I have restored the files quarantined but for this two file pending cleanup I can't find a solution. I even dare not to turn off my computer as I fear the files will be gone before I scan it with other things else.

• I know how to restore the quarantined files. But the "Reason" column says "Pending Cleanup", and while I move the pointer on the "Action" Column, only the the button for "Open the containing folder" show up. I have restored the files quarantined but for this two file pending cleanup I can't find a solution. I even dare not to turn off my computer as I fear the files will be gone before I scan it with other things else.

I apologize, I was hasty to reply. Quarantined files and files pending cleanup are not the same regardless of being presented in the same Threat Contol section since version 1.015.946.

UserGuide.pdf (included with the software, but published before version 1.015.946) has the following:

• Quarantined files

Use this button to access the files in quarantine. You have the option to Delete the files in quarantine.

Bitdefender scans the quarantined files after each malware signature update. Cleaned files are automatically unblocked and you can access them normally.

• Pending cleanup

Use this button to access the files which are to be disinfected.

This location contains the files that could not be removed or disinfected. Therefore, when you have infected files in this location you will be required to reboot your system for the disinfection process to take place.

(and in a later section)

When an infected file is detected, Bitdefender tries to disinfect it by removing the malware code. If disinfection fails, Bitdefender alerts you that the infected file could not be disinfected. Files that cannot be disinfected are quarantined in order to contain the infection.

So I understand being hesitant to reboot since disinfecting could mean deleting.

Note the User's Guide does not present an option to restore any threat file. The ability to restore/exclude quarantined items was introduced with the release of version 1.015.946 along with merging the sections for Pending Cleanup and Quarantined Files. But your experience clearly remarks files pending cleanup are yet regarded differently from quarantined files (besides the fact that those pending cleanup would get cleaned when the system gets rebooted).

Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition blocks the access to threat files, i.e., those with the .gzquar extension.* Rebooting in safe mode should allow you to access such files. I however see your dilemma since the cleanup process for your files may be at the shutdown part of the reboot process.

*Before, I believed the service, gzserve.exe, was responsible for this, but I noticed threat files were blocked even with the service disabled (in the middle of repairing the software).

• So what happened, what is the outcome of this interesting situation?

• So what happened, what is the outcome of this interesting situation?

I raised a ticket and after the customer service misunderstanding me having a file cannot deleted by Bitdefender, and it sent me an article for restore "Quarantined" files which is not what I need. I accidentally turned off my computers but I didn't keep a record of the files "Pending Cleanup" so I can't tell there are deleted or disinfected.