Firewall Keeps Blocking Skype

zipper
edited June 2013 in Firewall

I'm using BitDefender Internet Security 2011 in a windows 7, 64 bits.

About a week ago Skype updated and, ever since, everytime I try to login in skype, it gives me an error message saying "skype cannot connect".

The reason I'm posting this here, and not in a skype help forum, is because I've realised that it is BitDefender's firewall that is blocking Skype: if I deactivate the firewall, skype connects, if I reactivate it, the connection drops pretty much instantaneously.

I have tried adding Skype to the Firewall's rules, with "allow" on everything, with both the "add rule" and the problem solving functions; and setting it as an exception in the antivirus "tab", with no result whatsoever.

I can see no other solutions, so any help would be much appreciated. Thank you very much.

Edit: Oh, also, Windows firewall is deactivated, so no conflict there

Comments

• I was forced to use an old version of skype because with new ones my webcam dosen't work properly but when i switched versions the firewall blocked skype. I create a rule as you did but nothing, after being trying for a little time i realized that this old version of skype uses port 1089 to communicate. I changed the port to 25633 and now skype works fine with firewall.

How to change port?

Skype menu --->Tools--->options--->Advanced--->Connection--->Use port ????

I don't know if this will help you but it worked for me, i mean you should check your port. Good Luck.

Regards.

• I was forced to use an old version of skype because with new ones my webcam dosen't work properly but when i switched versions the firewall blocked skype. I create a rule as you did but nothing, after being trying for a little time i realized that this old version of skype uses port 1089 to communicate. I changed the port to 25633 and now skype works fine with firewall.

How to change port?

Skype menu --->Tools--->options--->Advanced--->Connection--->Use port ????

I don't know if this will help you but it worked for me, i mean you should check your port. Good Luck.

Regards.

+1 to this. I actually did this just now with the Beta Version of Skype (6.21.85.104) and it worked. Found out that it was Bitdefender blocking that port when I deactivated the firewall and reactivated it; Skype Reconnected and DC'ed along with it. Changed the port, and now I'm connected.

Somehow even if you put an "Allow" rule in Bitdefender firewall settings it doesn't completely work.

• Just a thought here. Might as well try to disable real time protection and see if that was the module causing this. 1.gif

• I'm using BitDefender Internet Security 2011 in a windows 7, 64 bits.

About a week ago Skype updated and, ever since, everytime I try to login in skype, it gives me an error message saying "skype cannot connect".

The reason I'm posting this here, and not in a skype help forum, is because I've realised that it is BitDefender's firewall that is blocking Skype: if I deactivate the firewall, skype connects, if I reactivate it, the connection drops pretty much instantaneously.

I have tried adding Skype to the Firewall's rules, with "allow" on everything, with both the "add rule" and the problem solving functions; and setting it as an exception in the antivirus "tab", with no result whatsoever.

I can see no other solutions, so any help would be much appreciated. Thank you very much.

Edit: Oh, also, Windows firewall is deactivated, so no conflict there

You should make new firewall rule for skype as follow : add rule, browse to skype.exe file, program parameter any, TCP, check listen, connect, traffic and check all profiles, in second tab choose local port range 1024-65535, local ip "any", remote port 80, 443 (or try "any" if doesn't work) remote ip "any", allow incoming and outgoing "both" option