Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Slowdown On 1 Gb Ram

Options

Hey guys, being a member of several top forums, I see these questions a lot, but now it's my turn. I want to run BitDefender Free on an old XP with 1 GB of RAM and on a Vista with 2 GB of RAM. Avast Free would slowdown Firefox and Chrome from loading their start page drastically. Will BD Free work a lot better on these machines ? Chromes page would pop up but the Google search would take between 5 to 15 seconds appear and I knew that when I used Panda Free it was a 3 second load up, but I like BitDefenders detection rate and really would like to switch to it. Any thoughts really would be appreciated.

Comments

• Rohugh
    Options

Hello Claw,

The system requirements for BD Ree Antivirus are at the bottom of this page - http://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/free.html . BD Free is very light to use and does not have any of the additional extras that you may find on other free AVs, all of which add to the use of resources.

You should have no problems running it, give it a go - after all it doesn't cost anything! :D

Ro.

• Hey Ro, thanks for the quick reply. I guess like you said, I'll give it a try. The machine I was worried about is the 1 GB RAM. I've heard arguments on both sides about the slowdown issue. Most comments were positive about no slowdown, but I've also heard the negative too.

that's why I came here, straight to the source. Thanks again. :)

• Even though Bitdefender Free AV looks light and simple to the user, it does require 1 GB of hard drive space and 1 GB of ram. Kind of high for a free AV.

That said, I`m using and liking it so far.

I`m running Windows 7 with 3GB ram and it runs fine.

• Even though Bitdefender Free AV looks light and simple to the user, it does require 1 GB of hard drive space and 1 GB of ram. Kind of high for a free AV.

That said, I`m using and liking it so far.

I`m running Windows 7 with 3GB ram and it runs fine.

Where do you get that it needs 1gb of HDD space and 1gb of RAM? It doesn't use anywhere near that much of either resource on any of the 3 systems I'm running it on.

• Where do you get that it needs 1gb of HDD space and 1gb of RAM? It doesn't use anywhere near that much of either resource on any of the 3 systems I'm running it on.

It`s right in plain sight stated at the bottom of the Bitdefender AV free web page for system requirements.

It does`nt use anywhere near that much on my system either.

• I'm running it on a Vista machine with 2gb RAM and it does fine. How it would do with only 1, I don't know.

• It`s right in plain sight stated at the bottom of the Bitdefender AV free web page for system requirements.

It does`nt use anywhere near that much on my system either.

From the web page.

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

Minimum system requirements

Operating system: Windows XP SP3 32-bit, Windows Vista (SP2), Microsoft Windows 7 (SP1), Microsoft Windows 8

RAM: 512MB

Hard disk space: 700 MB

Recommended system requirements

Operating system: Windows XP SP3 32-bit, Windows Vista (SP2), Microsoft Windows 7 (SP1), Microsoft Windows 8

RAM: 1 GB

Hard disk space: 1 GB

• Okay, it's recommended that you have those specs. However, nowhere does it say that it will use that much of either resource and actually, it never does. It doesn't even come close.

• Most I`ve ever seen it use on my system is between 250-300mb of ram while scanning,which is high for an AV. Much lower than that at idle.

I don`t how much disk space it`s using yet,but I have noticed an increase in files and file size on my defragmenter list and they are all Bitdefender related.If it ever gets anywhere near 1GB of hard disk space,I`ll uninstall it.I don`t want that much AV related bloat.

Most AV`s have an option to clear old files it does`nt need to keep file and hard disk space bloat to a minimum.I don`t see this option in Bitdefender.

I really like this AV so far because of it`s user simplicity and apparent high detection rate. Even though it looks user simple,there is so much more going on under the hood that is automated.

I`ll be keeping an eye on the increase of bitdefender files and file sizes on my defragmenter list.