Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

File Scanning

Options

Hey guys, I have a couple files that I wanted to scan, so I right click and choose Scan With Bitdefender from the menu, then nothing happens. Is BD quietly scanning the file and will only show me if it detects something ? I have no idea if the file was scanned or not. Thanks.

Comments

• Rohugh
    Rohugh ✭✭
    edited January 2015
    Options

Hello Claw,

After you right click and scan you should get the attached window when it is complete, it may be hidden behind other windows you have open, check if there is a Bitdefender icon in the taskbar.

Ro.

post-175392-1420736232_thumb.jpg

• Claw
    Options

Hey Ro, how are you ? Ok, the icon is in the tray, BD says I'm protected and everything seems to be working except scanning the file. I right click, choose the scan with BD then nothing.

• dch48
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Hey Ro, how are you ? Ok, the icon is in the tray, BD says I'm protected and everything seems to be working except scanning the file. I right click, choose the scan with BD then nothing.

The way it works is kind of complicated. You do not get a window like was shown. What happens is this. You choose to scan a file. An on demand scan is created. You then have to open the GUI where you will see that an On demand scan is active. You then have to click on that and then click on the little details box to actually see the results. It's really unnecessarily convoluted.

• Claw
    Options

Hey I want thank everyone for the help. Dch48 that worked, I learn something new everyday. You people are the best. Thanks.

• Hey! :rolleyes:

After I requested a scan I got a message from the notification area* (a.k.a. system tray) stating:

Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition

An On Demand scan task has been added

It was followed by the message:

Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition

All queued On Demand scan tasks have been completed.

No infected items have been detected.

The messages vanish on their own.

*from the icon

• The way it works is kind of complicated. You do not get a window like was shown. What happens is this. You choose to scan a file. An on demand scan is created. You then have to open the GUI where you will see that an On demand scan is active. You then have to click on that and then click on the little details box to actually see the results. It's really unnecessarily convoluted.

I'm having the same problem as the first poster. "Scan with Bitdefender," but nothing happens.

Where you say "open the GUI," where is that done? Is that the small icon in the lower right of the screen?

When I do, I see Virus Shield and Auto Scan set to On.

My Bitdefender says "Trying to login..."

I don't see anywhere to log in.

I'm wondering now if my computer is protected while I'm on the internet, let alone unable to scan selected files or folders.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

• graciliano
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'm having the same problem as the first poster. "Scan with Bitdefender," but nothing happens.

Where you say "open the GUI," where is that done? Is that the small icon in the lower right of the screen?

When I do, I see Virus Shield and Auto Scan set to On.

My Bitdefender says "Trying to login..."

I don't see anywhere to log in.

I'm wondering now if my computer is protected while I'm on the internet, let alone unable to scan selected files or folders.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Yes, that is the GUI. In my experience, it reports to that I am logged in, even when I am off the Internet (as long as I have not logged out). I never log out because then my system would not be protected. I read old tests that the protection is slightly less effective while off the Internet, particularly, there is a slightly higher chance of finding a false positive. I experienced that once about a year ago: The AVC module was protecting me from a potential new virus it was not able to further analyze because I was offline. While writing this I disconnected from the Internet, scanned a file, and verified within the LOGS the scan completed. It works for me. Please check the Events in the LOGS window for your scan if you think it is missing. However, on-demand scans should be reported with a small panel within the main GUI, which you should clear so that it does not stay there taking up space. I must say in one test, the information in the tile was incomplete, e.g., it did not get a green border to indicate the scan completed without finding a threat (the border turns red if it does).

P.S. You should be able to summon the log in window through the My Bitdefender panel.