Loading User Interface...

Hi, it appears the current version of Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition has a fault.

When I click on the icon in the taskbar I get a 'Loading User Interface...' message and nothing happens, I can right-click the icon, but nothing works when I click on it, just the same 'Loading User Interface...' message.

I've uploaded a video here to explain what I'm talking about

I have restarted several times but I get the same error every time.

Just wondered if anyone has a solution or perhaps what might be causing it?

I am running Windows 8.1 64bit, all up-to-date etc.

Comments

• ...just to add; I have tried repairing and that doesn't work.

Also tried un-installing and re-installing.

I don't have problems with the same version on my Laptop which is also on Windows 8 64bit.

• Do you have any other security software running, like anti-malware, or anti-spyware or anti-adware? If so, remove them and see if that makes a difference.

• Thanks for replying, I have Malwarebytes (on-demand), which is also installed on the laptop that works, but I'll give it a go.

• Thanks for replying, I have :ph34r: (on-demand), which is also installed on the laptop that works, but I'll give it a go.

I have not found any conflict with the free version of :ph34r: . I once had a minor conflict with my firewall but it was solved when I upgraded it. I am always cautious with Windows updates regarding .Net Framework (I get all Important and Recommended updates). Make sure to have the latest updates (they came out today!).

• Thanks, I tried uninstalling Malwarebytes and also ran Windows Update, there were some new updates so I installed those, but unfortunately the problem still exists.

When I first installed Bitdefender the menu appeared fine, and it ran the definitions update etc. but upon restart it just won't load the interface.

• Thanks, I tried uninstalling Malwarebytes and also ran Windows Update, there were some new updates so I installed those, but unfortunately the problem still exists.

When I first installed Bitdefender the menu appeared fine, and it ran the definitions update etc. but upon restart it just won't load the interface.

Sorry you still have that problem. It still likely the reason is conflict with other software as pointed by veteran poster Rohugh and by moderator alex z in an old thread with the same problem. The software conflict does not have to be with a security solution since there was a case that the conflict was solved by uninstalling a visual theme as reported by tonypiz in this post. I understand you installed the software in two different machines. Perhaps thinking about the different software you may have in the machine with the problem you can find what causes the conflict.

p.s. I am curious: what happens if you call the interface directly via the shortcut in the desktop, the start menu, or via Search/Apps/Bitdefender?

• Thanks, I did previously read both of those posts; I don't have any visual themes and I'm not running XP and as far as I know .NET Framework is installed in Windows 8 so I assumed that wasn't the issue.

If I search and launch it, nothing happens, same thing if I try to double click the shortcut.

But it is running as a background process all the time (gizface and gizserv).

I have submitted a support ticket and I'm waiting to hear back, I've submitted all the logs etc., so hopefully the cause will be found; unless of course somebody has seen this type of thing before and has any ideas?

• ram1220
    edited February 2015

I have the same problem from time to time. It is a periodic problem with my system. But a lot of the time the BD icon in the lower right of my screen just isn't there. Or clicking on it when it is there does nothing. When this happens I have also tried to start the interface by using the shortcut on my desktop. Doesn't work. A reboot of my system will usually fix the issue. But it is annoying. Probably just another glitch with BD Free.

• I have not had a problem with the interface for a long time (except that it appears slow to respond occasionally, but I get that with all my software!). Last time I had a problem with the the interface, I was able to close it by selecting Exit from the icon's menu (that you get with the mouse right button). The interface would respond properly after restarting it through the start menu.

[To
    knightsoftheround:] I remember seen an old report where the interface was not showing due to the screen size/resolution. Could this be at all be related to your problem? Please share your solution if found!

• thanks, my screen res. is 1920x1080 so fairly standard and I never change it; I also tried clicking and waiting for at least an hour (clicked the icon and walked away) but the menu never loads.

I really hope there's a solution to this.

• So I got a reply from tech support, after I spent a good amount of time collecting dump files and logs and uploading them, tech-support appear to have taken all of 5 seconds and told me to un-install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, which for the benefit of the doubt I un-installed again.

And of course this made no difference, especially the fact that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is an on-demand scanner anyway.

*sigh*

So, I'm still hoping there is a solution to this, of course being free software I didn't really expect much support so I can't complain really, just disappointed.

• Just to add: when I first installed Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition, the interface displays without any issues.

It's after restarting that it the interface stops working.

I have un-installed and re-installed several times it to test this.

So something must be happening after the initial installation; does anybody have any ideas as to what would cause a program to behave like this?

• Had the same problem. Try running bitdefender in compatibility mode. Windows is having issues with new updates interfering with compatibility

• thanks :-) what version of Windows did you pick from the options?

i.e. Run this program in compatibility mode for‪…