Computer Goes Into Sleep Mode During Virus Scan

Hi all,

I've noticed that my computer enters sleep mode during virus scans. I have my computer (Windows 7, 64bit) set to enter Hybrid Sleep after 30 minutes. Often, my virus scan does not complete in that amount time.

What appears to happen, is my computer enters sleep mode. When I wake it up, the virus scan begins again immediately.

What I'd like to do is have the computer stay awake when the virus scan is running. Then when it finishes, it can go to sleep. Is there a way to configure this? I've looked around and have found nothing and I can't find any relevant forum topics.

Any help is appreciated!

Comments

• dave r
    edited December 2009

but the sleep problem, failing disabling the sleep setting,or altering it to wait longer before sleep, i don't no what else you can do, bd will have no control over the windows sleep function,

• Hi all,

I've noticed that my computer enters sleep mode during virus scans. I have my computer (Windows 7, 64bit) set to enter Hybrid Sleep after 30 minutes. Often, my virus scan does not complete in that amount time.

What appears to happen, is my computer enters sleep mode. When I wake it up, the virus scan begins again immediately.

What I'd like to do is have the computer stay awake when the virus scan is running. Then when it finishes, it can go to sleep. Is there a way to configure this? I've looked around and have found nothing and I can't find any relevant forum topics.

Any help is appreciated!

Hi MIsterboy,

Try to change power settings of your system by follow the instructions:

1. From Start menu open Control Panel

2. Select Small Icons in View By drop-down list

3. Click on Power Options

4. Select High Performance power plan

4. You may click on Change plan settings to change advanced settings, you will see that computer is put to sleep Never

5. If selected power plan was Balanced it's clear that BitDefender has nothing to do with Windows sleep feature.

6. You can configure BitDefender to stop scan (I think it's set to default) if your computer is running on batteries and will go to sleep (usually, laptop).

Cheers!

• bszuta
    edited January 2010
    Hi MIsterboy,

Try to change power settings of your system by follow the instructions:

1. From Start menu open Control Panel

2. Select Small Icons in View By drop-down list

3. Click on Power Options

4. Select High Performance power plan

4. You may click on Change plan settings to change advanced settings, you will see that computer is put to sleep Never

5. If selected power plan was Balanced it's clear that BitDefender has nothing to do with Windows sleep feature.

6. You can configure BitDefender to stop scan (I think it's set to default) if your computer is running on batteries and will go to sleep (usually, laptop).

Cheers!

I am sorry, but... how come other programs (Windows Home Server Backup for example) can not only do the backup and the sleep function never kicks in during its process, but it can actually wake the computer up to do its job?

Nothing is impossible with computers, but one needs to decide to make it a priority to fix it/implement it. Setting permanently power options to NEVER is NOT a valid option (it is a sledge hammer type of a solution, i.e. no good).

• I am sorry, but... how come other programs (Windows Home Server Backup for example) can not only do the backup and the sleep function never kicks in during its process, but it can actually wake the computer up to do its job?

Nothing is impossible with computers, but one needs to decide to make it a priority to fix it/implement it. Setting permanently power options to NEVER is NOT a valid option (it is a sledge hammer type of a solution, i.e. no good).

I have the same problem, and the advice to turn off the sleep function is not helpful at all

key programs prevent the computer from sleeping during critical tasks - why does bitdefender when running a scan not do this?????

• To BitDefender:

This is a very valid complaint and I have the same complaint. There is absolutely no reason bar laziness that should stop you from implementing a function within BitDefender that stops the computer going into sleep mode. Software has been doing this for years... I feel that this issue is one that would make your product significantly better and to be honest your addressing it may make the difference between me continuing to use your product or moving to another, when my current subscription ends.

• To BitDefender:

This is a very valid complaint and I have the same complaint. There is absolutely no reason bar laziness that should stop you from implementing a function within BitDefender that stops the computer going into sleep mode. Software has been doing this for years... I feel that this issue is one that would make your product significantly better and to be honest your addressing it may make the difference between me continuing to use your product or moving to another, when my current subscription ends.

I concur. I think many, many other applications are able to either wake up the computer to run scheduled tasks, or the computer does not go to

sleep when the task has started. I switched from Trendmicro Titanium to BitDefender and even their scanning wakes up the CPU in the middle

of the night. Lets face it, no one typically wants to sit there and watch their computer scan, so we schedule it to run a night/early morning....

Also, I like the sleep feature as I feel I am making a contribution to the GREEN effort and saving a little juice, albeit, not much, but nationwide that

certainly adds up.. I challenge the Bit-Defender staff to overcome this issue and improve the product, its a minor modification and certainly achievable.

Thank you!

• I challenge the Bit-Defender staff to overcome this issue and improve the product, its a minor modification and certainly achievable.

Thank you!

Hello vhafhmherred,

You are posting in the BD 2010 forum so if you are still using it be aware that this version reached its end of life in August 2012 so is no longer supported. The product has been improved many time since then so upgrading to Bitdefender 2015, which is a free of charge upgrade if you still have a current license, will solve any problems you may have.

Rohugh