Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Can't Restore Quarantined Files

Options

Two weeks ago, I installed BitDefender on my home PC, which I regularly work from when not in the office. The version that I have installed on my PC is 1.0.21.1099. Today, I placed two different flash drives into the PC USB and all files contained in both flash drives were immediately labeled, gzquar. I have tried to restore the files by going to BitDefender > Quarantine > Restore, but nothing happens. I have tried the live chat but it says to leave a message. I tried calling customer support, and am now on the forums looking for answers. After reading complaints by other users, I am left with more questions than answers.

Can this be undone? How can this be undone? Surely, a company can not market a "free" antivirus that is stacked with such a major glitch, bug, or whatever you want to label it as, with unsuspecting users left in the position to chalk their files being blocked from opening as a loss. I can not do that since they are work files, work images, and family photos, adding up to 1792 files in total. If this has been an ongoing issue since 2010, from what I'm reading in Google searches and forum discussions, or even earlier as I presume, why is it still occurring? Why is the free version even still out there causing more harm than good?

The bottom line is that I'd like access to my files again. Can anyone help?

Comments

• lapka
    Options

You can upload your computer in safe mode, then connect the flash drive and manually change the extension from the files to their original gzquar. The same can be done on a different computer with a different Antivirus. But it seems that all the files on the flash drive you are infected with the virus file, so I would not advise you to run these files after changing the extension to the original. We Bitdefender Free sometimes false positives, but that all files placed in quarantine, which I have not yet met. That's all for nothing. You can send some of your data on a laboratory analysis in marked false positive - http://www.bitdefender.com/site/Main/autom...SampleUploader/. if it is indeed a false positive, then a few days later it will get better and you can get your files from quarantine. Also, you can check these files to Virustotal - https://www.virustotal.com

• I already tried going into safemode and renaming the files. Nothing happened. There's no virus on the flash drives. It's all work documents and photos. Another issue is that some of the files are unrecognizable, i.e., the titles have been changed. I can clearly see SOME files what they were titled as and others that are pics and what I had them titled as, but for others, they're basically unrecognizable. I don't know if they're pdf., jpg., doc., winzip, etc. BitDefender really screwed this up big time.

Another thing is that say for instance if I had documents that ranged from 2MB-50MB on my flash drive. ALL are now 2KB; thus, they aren't even files, just empty icons stating what they used to be and the real files are stored away in Bitdefender quarantine.

I DO NOT care if bit defender releases all of the files it has quarantined and whether some of them run the risk of being virus. I'd rather deal with that than lose almost 2,000 files. I've been on and off the phone with the ****** in tech support. They have absolutely no idea what to do, which I find surprising since this seems to be a common theme with this piece of ###### antivirus software since 2010. My first call yesterday, I explained that I could get the restore button to restore the files to their orig. location. The ###### tech said to give him 24 hours and then sent me an email this morning with instructions from a blogger website informing me how to use the restore button. Are you ###### kidding me?

I tried calling again to explain, in great detail, what can and can not be done and they said that the first level of technicians were unequipped to handle the issue and would forward my case to an upper level of tech support. They asked for a listing of the files in quarantine, which I gladly gave them. 5 hours passed and I never heard anything. I called back and was informed that I was a top priotity and that they were working on the issue. That was almost 6 hours ago and still no word as to how to fix this issue.

Again, if I am reading users with the same exact problems going back 5 years ago then this tech support team should have a plan in hand to tackle the problem. This isn't new.