Outgoing Product?

I checked the last update of Bitdefender Free: 2014 July. Many problems with this AV and no new bug fixes, program updates.

What does it mean? Perhaps there will be no more support and will be removed this product?

Comments

• Rohugh
    Rohugh ✭✭
    edited May 2015

Hello vv5204,

If it is updated further then I would expect it to be for the Windows 10 release. However, Bitdefender have not made any announcement about any of their Home and Office antivirus products for 2016 - yet.

You say there are many problems, what would they be?

Ro.

• Hello vv5204,

If it is updated further then I would expect it to be for the Windows 10 release. However, Bitdefender have not made any announcement about any of their Home and Office antivirus products for 2016 - yet.

You say there are many problems, what would they be?

Ro.

I reaading the posts in this topic and seems Bitdefender Free doesn't work properly for many people. I have found bug too, already sent to the

customer support but I do not know whether it makes sense if the updates are very rare.

• dch48
    edited May 2015
    I reaading the posts in this topic and seems Bitdefender Free doesn't work properly for many people. I have found bug too, already sent to the

customer support but I do not know whether it makes sense if the updates are very rare.

It's more like BD Free works exactly as it was designed to and some people don't like it. I've only seen a few actual problems reported, mostly FP's, and that happens with every product.

Maybe you could tell us what this bug you found is?

• Rohugh
    Rohugh ✭✭
    It's more like BD Free works exactly as it was designed to and some people don't like it. I've only seen a few actual problems reported, mostly FP's, and that happens with every product.

Hiya Dch48,

Agreed, and of course as this is the home forum of Bitdefender there are bound to be topics and posts from users trying to find solutions to any problems they have. You can look at any forums from AV companies and see lots and lots of complaints and problems. :)

Ro.

• It's more like BD Free works exactly as it was designed to and some people don't like it. I've only seen a few actual problems reported, mostly FP's, and that happens with every product.

Maybe you could tell us what this bug you found is?

The Bug.

The virus detection of Bitdefender Free doesn't work properly in some cases.

1.) Bitdefender Free sometimes does not recognize the virus(es). What does it mean?

Check an infected file on Virus Total. Bitdefender engine say: virus, on VT page. BUT right click on the file, check with Bitdefender Free and result will be: clean. This is two different result for same file. This is not always the case, as I said in some cases.

2.) Some cases Bitdefender Free doesn't recognize a virus when opening an infected program and allows run unlimited. However, if I check the file with right click, Bitdefender Free will say: virus.

3.) Some times 1.) + 2.) = Doesn't recognize an infected file when opening and doesn't recognize at right click scan. I think it's serious problem(s).

If you would like a test about this bug dowlnload LOIC from SourceForge and WinZipPortable from PortableAppZ. These are hack tools not viruses!

But Bitdefender engine say on VT page: malware.

• The Bug.

1.) Bitdefender Free sometimes does not recognize the virus(es). What does it mean?

Check an infected file on Virus Total. Bitdefender engine say: virus, on VT page. BUT right click on the file, check with Bitdefender Free and result will be: clean. This is two different result for same file. This is not always the case, as I said in some cases.

2.) Some cases Bitdefender Free doesn't recognize a virus when opening an infected program and allows run unlimited. However, if I check the file with right click, Bitdefender Free will say: virus.

3.) Some times 1.) + 2.) = Doesn't recognize an infected file when opening and doesn't recognize at right click scan. I think it's serious problem(s).

If you would like a test about this bug dowlnload LOIC from SourceForge and WinZipPortable from PortableAppZ. These are hack tools not viruses!

I can't really say much because the only files I have had BD Free call malware are the Eicar test files. I have not encountered anything else. The only thing I have seen BD do is to block a few websites. I'm not going to play with any hack tools.

• I can't download WinZip Portable from Portable Appz because BD Free blocks the download page. Research tells me it's because the portable contains a hacked installer so I would say BD Free is right in blocking it.

• I can't download WinZip Portable from Portable Appz because BD Free blocks the download page. Research tells me it's because the portable contains a hacked installer so I would say BD Free is right in blocking it.

If you need I can send the file in pm.

Block is good but if the file has on a pendrive not will be any alert... I uninstall Bitdefender Free and Install Bitdefender Antivirus Plus for test. Similar bug. :) Uninstall BAP too, back to CIS for the time being.

... I uninstall Bitdefender Free and Install Bitdefender Antivirus Plus for test. Similar bug. :) Uninstall BAP too, back to CIS for the time being.

I understand all Bitdefender® antivirus products offer the same protection against malware. Certainly there are features and controls that will make some of their products "better" than others. Not surprisingly the Free Edition has the minimal level of control and no extra features.

I found no problems downloading LOIC from SourceForge, perhaps it was a false positive that got corrected. I was not able to bypass Bitdefender's warning to download WinZipPortable by PortableAppZ from www65.zippyshare.com.*

I was finally able to download WinZipPortable from a mirror (www.sendspace.com). It was not detected as malware when I downloaded it. However it was detected as threat when I explicitly requested Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition to scan it. I suppose I would have been also alerted if I tried running it, but I did not. When I sent the file to be analized by VirusTotal, 35 out of 57 engines (including Bitdefender) found it unsafe.** I yet wonder how I was able to download the file with no alert. I believe this was possible because it was a secure connection and those cannot be scanned (otherwise they could not be called secure!). Yet it seems that a the file was not scanned locally when the download completed! I downloaded another copy that is just sitting in my desktop awaiting to be detected. Perhaps this is a false negative URL that I should submit to Bitdefender. Indeed the download URL is found clean by all engines that report in VirusTotal.

*I found these lines in Bitdefender's server log file:

2015/05/13 00:32:02 HttpCallbacks.cpp [IsUrlCloudClean] HTTPAV Cloud link infected http://www65.zippyshare.com/js/jquery.corner.js
    2015/05/13 00:32:02 HttpCallbacks.cpp [IsUrlCloudClean] HTTPAV Cloud link infected http://www65.zippyshare.com/js/jquery-1.11.2.min.js
    2015/05/13 00:32:03 callbacks.cpp [ProcessNotificationV3] AVC3 ProcessNotification HOOKED C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\plugin-container.exe 0000000000001414 AppFlags 65537 Create 1 MONITOR:2
    2015/05/13 00:32:04 callbacks.cpp [ProcessNotificationV3] AVC3 ProcessNotification HOOKED C:\windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\FlashPlayerPlugin_17_0_0_169.exe 0000000000001454 AppFlags 65537 Create 1 MONITOR:2
    2015/05/13 00:32:04 callbacks.cpp [ProcessNotificationV3] AVC3 ProcessNotification HOOKED C:\windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\FlashPlayerPlugin_17_0_0_169.exe 00000000000015F8 AppFlags 65537 Create 1 MONITOR:2
    2015/05/13 00:32:14 callbacks.cpp [ProcessNotificationV3] AVC3 ProcessNotification HOOKED C:\Program Files (x86)\Samsung\Settings\CmdServer\VendorAPIRun64.exe 0000000000000824 AppFlags 0 Create 1 MONITOR:2
    2015/05/13 00:33:04 ScanInstance.cpp [ScanInstance::StaticScanCallback2] Scan Callback 2: => status:3 threatType 0
    2015/05/13 00:33:04 HttpCallbacks.cpp [CHttpCallbacks::scanMessage] HTTPAV Infected after engine scan virus Gen:Trojan.Heur.FU.euW@a0Q59To

It is possible that http://www65.zippyshare.com/js/jquery.corner.js and http://www65.zippyshare.com/js/jquery-1.11.2.min.js are false positives. They both appear clean by most engines in VirusTotal, only Bitdefender labels the addresses as malware, but two other engines call them suspicious. Nevertheless, no engine in VirusTotal, including Bitdefender, detected the corresponding downloaded files as threat. Yet, there is that alert about a Trojan!

In summary, I had found that Bitdefender may label some addresses as malware, while also finding no threat in their corresponding downloaded file. I understand possible reasons for this to happen. Yet this makes an argument for the need of a switch, which Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition lacks, to turn off web protection independently of the local file protection but this is open for debate.

**There was again that alert Gen:Trojan.Heur.FU.euW@a0Q59To which now clearly corresponds to the WinZipPortable file.

• I tested LOIC from SourceForge mentioned here.

Its detected on VT by Bd but not detected by Bd free. Rightclick scan didn't detect it. Executed it but still Bd free didn't detect it.

Win 7 64

The user who have mentioned this prob also confirmed that Bd paid too didn't detect it.

Is this a bug?

Or Bd on VT is with different or higher scanner settings?