Updates

Latest Bd updates version right now is Version: 7.60928

Bd free updates is stuck at Version: 7.60911 from yesterday.

Other users on Wilder forum have confirmed this.

Any info?

Comments

• Free services ended. Save up money.

• kurkosdr
    edited June 2015

Same deal here. Updates stuck on version 7.60911 from yesterday.

Now, I 'll just wait till the "support" guys from Bitdefender do nothing to resolve the problem at first, and then go on to serve canned answers like "uninstall and re-install the antivirus" to add insult to the injury (hint: those kind of answers don't work, because if it happens on more than a couple of people, it's a bug in your software, not a problem in my installation).

Seriously, if your laptop can handle Avast (or some other AV) without running too hot or taking 5 minutes to boot, go for it. If you have a desktop, go for it. Leave this god-forsaken "antivirus solution" called BitDefender Free that doesn't even have a button to check manually for update definitions (no joke), and doesn't even bother to tell you the file it scans during a scheduled scan.

Don't listen to what the "pros" say at reviews, aka that Bitdefender supposedly outranks Avast because it has 0.0001% better file detection in some test or because it's light (of course it's light, because it's an old school file scanner and doesn't do rootkit protection and anti-exploit protection, at least not as well as the others).

But if you have some old laptop that can't handle Avast well (and barely handles BitDefender), welcome to the world of semi-working protection! Welcome to BitDefender Free!

PS: On a second though, Bitdefender might have already gone bankrupt (they are supposedly making money by people buying their paid version of the product, yeah right...) and have started closing servers.

• kurkosdr
    edited June 2015
    Free services ended. Save up money.

Lol that can't be real, the page that advertises BitDefender Free and offers the download is still online, and the main page ( www.bitdefender.com ) links to it.

Also, there is no such announcement from BitDefender (not even on their site), I 've even gooogled "bitdefender free ended" and "bitdefender free updates ended".

Silently pulling support for what is a antivirus product would be too low even for BitDefender (on a second thought, that last sentence may be wishful thinking from my side).

• kurkosdr
    edited June 2015

Hmm... Still no response for what is a major issue. No announcements. Just silent removal of protection. BitDefender users who don't look at how often their AV updates (most of them) are at risk.

BitDefender Free has 2% of marketshare. This means that you guys managed to expose 2% of worldwide computer users to immediate malware risk. No malware writer has managed to achieve this in several years. I guess it's something to be proud of.

• Hmm... Still no response for what is a major issue. No announcements. Just silent removal of protection. BitDefender users who don't look at how often their AV updates (most of them) are at risk.

BitDefender Free has 2% of marketshare. This means that you guys managed to expose 2% of worldwide computer users to immediate malware risk. No malware writer has managed to achieve this in several years. I guess it's something to be proud of.

Oh well... the product still works with day old definitions, which I do not think is a problem for people that don't navigate often on risky waters as long as monitoring new and unknown threats works. I imagine the product would warn with "you are not protected" if Bitdefender stops supporting it. I still read about weekly definition updates for some products under some conditions. However I just hope to see and update soon, I do not want to wait until the official release of Windows 10 to see an update for the definitions.

• Oh well... the product still works with day old definitions, which I do not think is a problem for people that don't navigate often on risky waters as long as monitoring new and unknown threats works.

What if I told you no. "New and unknown threats detection" has miserable results, 40-50% according to research, it doesn't work the way you think.

Also, some months back I navigated to an archived page of reteurs in web.archive.org, and got redirected to a malicious page (yes the archive was from the days lizamoon was all the rage). So much for avoiding risky waters... it doesn't work that way.

• kurkosdr
    edited June 2015

Here is how to find the archived page, in case you think I am BSing (the link inside the forum post is obviously as much "at your own risk" as it gets, esp if you are browsing with un-updated BitDefender free)

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=167082.0

• Hello? Anyone from BitDefender out there?

• Having the same problem. Bitdefender hasn't updated itself since June 4th. Someone please address what the problem is. Thank you.

• Calm, but calm!

Updates will be no more. Continue to live as you can and stop moaning. Take it as a punishment from above for your sins.

• kurkosdr
    edited June 2015
    Calm, but calm!

Updates will be no more.

How do you know that? Do you have any official briefing or just blowing air?

This is why everyone here is not calm. There is NO official announcement whether this is a server problem (with nobody at the office during the weekend), or a pernament discontinuation of BitDefender Free.

If it's the later, shame on them for not giving us at least an 1-day warning.

• Information from insiders. Top secret!

Free model to attract new users to the commercial products does not justify itself. To reduce the financial costs, it was decided to stop supporting the free version of the antivirus.

Users of the free version will be offered to go to the commercial version.

• All were frightened and perturbed crowd rolled out an update.

43d776bee51d2cc2aa92.png

• All were frightened and perturbed crowd rolled out an update.

43d776bee51d2cc2aa92.png

That unexpected slowdown when browsing....

Can't be....

Ctrl+Shift+Esc

OMG! OMG! The gonzalez update process! And BitDefender says it updated

Isn't it a great joy when your security kinda sorta works?

• Its been 3 days with no updates.

Any info?

• dch48
    edited June 2015
    Its been 3 days with no updates.

Any info?

I hadn't checked but just did and mine says the last update was June 5 at 2:45 PM. What IS going on? I never notice anything when an update does happen so I was unaware there hadn't been any for over 2 days.
  • I hadn't checked but just did and mine says the last update was June 5 at 2:45 PM. What IS going on? I never notice anything when an update does happen so I was unaware there hadn't been any for over 2 days.
    I have update version 7.60911.
  • Naren
    edited June 2015
    I have update version 7.60911.

I too have update version 7.60911 dated 5 June 2015.

Latest update today & right now is 7.60949

You can always check the latest updates here

http://download.bitdefender.com/updates/bi...gins/update.txt

• After three days of no updates, mine updated itself this morning!

• After three days of no updates, mine updated itself this morning!

Still no update here.

• Still no update here.

No updates here too.

Guess time to uninstall Bd free.

• lapka
    edited June 2015

Again, no more than a day for updates.

Already I feel like my Windows start gnaw worms, rootkits, backdoors, Trojans and encoders.

Do not throw us on the high seas teeming cyber infection. First they eat our computers, and then get to our tender meat and devour our brains.

• graciliano
    edited June 2015
    Again, no more than a day for updates.

Already I feel like my Windows start gnaw worms, rootkits, backdoors, Trojans and encoders.

Do not throw us on the high seas teeming cyber infection. First they eat our computers, and then get to our tender meat and devour our brains.

It finally updated, but after restarting my computer. I have been doing that often to see if it triggers the update, it appears that finally did the trick. Now I will wait a couple of hours to see if the updates remain regular or if I will have to wait three (3) more days <_<

I got update version 7.60960, but I just checked the latest version is 7.60961. New updates do come out quickly. I hope not to be left behind for too long. Again, I will wait and see.

• Mine updated to 7.60961

• It finally updated, but after restarting my computer. I have been doing that often to see if it triggers the update, it appears that finally did the trick. Now I will wait a couple of hours to see if the updates remain regular or if I will have to wait three (3) more days <_<

I got update version 7.60960, but I just checked the latest version is 7.60961. New updates do come out quickly. I hope not to be left behind for too long. Again, I will wait and see.

It updated to 7.60961 an hour after the first update. That is still the latest when I write this :)

• dch48
    edited June 2015
    It updated to 7.60961 an hour after the first update. That is still the latest when I write this :)

I finally got 7.60962 about 20 minutes ago. The first update in 3 days.

• The updates are now as usual.

I am now on 7.60963

• Currently 7.60965 here, as of 48 minutes ago.

• Currently 7.60965 here, as of 48 minutes ago.

Now on 7.60970 as of 2 minutes ago. Everything seems back to normal now.

• Have you guys noticed after this update prob, Bd free now doesn't updates to the latest & always couple versions behind.

For ex- When I started the system this morning mine was at 7.60963, Bd updates website showed 7.60976, my Bd free updated to 7.60974 (2 versions behind).

When I started the system this evening mine was at 7.60974, Bd updates website showed 7.60982, my Bd free updated to 7.60977 (5 versions behind).

I always compare updates with this website. Previously It use to be always the same i.e versions match.

Now after this updates prob, I have noticed Bd free doesn't updates to the latest & always couple versions behind.

• Have you guys noticed after this update prob, Bd free now doesn't updates to the latest & always couple versions behind.

For ex- When I started the system this morning mine was at 7.60963, Bd updates website showed 7.60976, my Bd free updated to 7.60974 (2 versions behind).

When I started the system this evening mine was at 7.60974, Bd updates website showed 7.60982, my Bd free updated to 7.60977 (5 versions behind).

I always compare updates with this website. Previously It use to be always the same i.e versions match.

Now after this updates prob, I have noticed Bd free doesn't updates to the latest & always couple versions behind.

After app 1 & half hour my Bd free updated to 7.60982.

I dont understand why it doesn't updates to the latest first time only? i.e When you start the system & Bd free updates, it should update to the latest instead of couple versions behind & after couple hours to the latest.

Though it updated to 7.60982 now & matches the website but still could be couple versions behind coz may be the website isn't updated with the latest updates now. This is just a guess. But it feels good when it matches the website.

That seems to be the case often enough, as I write Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition received update version 7.60984, while the link reports version 7.60985.* Nevertheless at some moment I found the update version in Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition was one step ahead of that reported by the link in you post. Weird. Yet gzserv.exe seems to communicate often enough over the Internet (to Bitdefender's web servers, presumably) so there seems to be little to worry about it ever being left behind. If the computer is not actively connected to the Internet, the concern has no basis.

______

*The signature number with v. 7.60984 is 5738873, a number higher than that of v. 7.60985 which is 5024609.

• ... Nevertheless at some moment I found the update version in Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition was one step ahead of that reported by the link in you post. ...

As an example of that I wrote earlier, as I write this, Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition has in the its LOGS:

Bitdefender has updated its virus signatures.

The update version is 7.60987.

The signature number is 5740330.

However the link reports:

Update time: Wed Jun 10 07:17:40 2015

Signature number: 5024609

Update time GMT: 1433909860

Version: 7.60985

Should we worry, I do not think so. After all, the link is labeled as if it is for a different product ;)

• Yes, guess nothing to worry as updates are often & cloud connection too is there with all databases when online.

• ... After all, the link is labeled as if it is for a different product ;)

For the same update version, the signature number can be very different between the link in the earlier posts and Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition.

While the link reports:

Update time: Tue Jun 16 19:53:55 2015

Signature number: 5038297

Update time GMT: 1434473635

Version: 7.61083

the Free Edition has in the its LOGS:

The update version is 7.61083.

The signature number is 5764526.

Although it is a guide, the link update information is not for the Free Edition.

• For the same update version, the signature number can be very different between the link in the earlier posts and Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition.

While the link reports:

Update time: Tue Jun 16 19:53:55 2015

Signature number: 5038297

Update time GMT: 1434473635

Version: 7.61083

the Free Edition has in the its LOGS:

The update version is 7.61083.

The signature number is 5764526.

Although it is a guide, the link update information is not for the Free Edition.

The link update is not for free version.

But the version mentioned in the link is the same as Bd free so I use the link to compare the version only.