Something Keeps Changing My On-access Settings, And Shutting Off Active Virus Control!

Something keeps changing my on-access settings, and shutting off active virus control!

1r4xvl.jpg

Unauthorized custom-administrative settings in Bitdefender.

My settings in Bitdefender keep getting changed and services disabled. I can't change them and have uninstalled and reinstalled Bitdefender five times and windows 8.1 twice since starting to use Bitdefender and they always come back! I'm at my witts end! I can't figure out why it keeps happening?

I've posted screen shots of all the settings.

2vnm5gn.jpg

25tjbzt.jpg

2uiu68x.jpg

zlqgbp.jpg

How safe are these settings? I wan't full protection. I don't feel very safe with a unauthorized program or hacker changing my settings on my computer! I've done everything I can think of including, turning off file sharing, change my wifi password, changing my computer name, and password protecting log ons and network log ons, and password protecting changes in Bitdefender, no luck!

Results from Bitdefender support tool. https://www.sendspace.com/file/h8e8x6

Comments

• Something keeps changing my on-access settings, and shutting off active virus control!

HI MikeWB,

Welcome on the forum!

You'd better first download from a clean machine BD rescue disk (to be written on a cd-rom as an ISO file) and restart on the cd to analyze your system.

rescue disk

Best regards,

:)

L.

• Something keeps changing my on-access settings, and shutting off active virus control!

Hi!

I quickly read your report but I have to go to work now, someone else will answer soon.

Remember:

one and only one firewall

one and only one antivirus & antispyware

Your report displays: McAfee and herdprotect antimalware... McAfee is clearly too much.

Is your herdprotect version active (online ? it should not be) nor Malwarebytes (I use the passive version of Malwarebytes, not the active one which could make a mess with Bitdefender.)

Herdprotect is probably too much too, according to Malekal, the french antimalware forum.

Best regards,

L

• Hi!

I quickly read your report but I have to go to work now, someone else will answer soon.

Remember:

Your report displays: McAfee and herdprotect antimalware... McAfee is clearly too much.

Is your herdprotect version active (online ? it should not be) nor Malwarebytes (I use the passive version of Malwarebytes, not the active one which could make a mess with Bitdefender.)

Herdprotect is probably too much too, according to Malekal, the french antimalware forum.

Best regards,

L

Mcafee came with the system but I uninstalled it, herdprotect only runs when I scan with it, same with malwarebytes. I paid for it and have been using it for months but found it slowed down my system to much starting it with windows 8.1 and letting it run even though Bitdefender doesn't tell you to remove it when installing itself. I installed Bitdefender because its suppose to have the best detection rate and least effect on system resources. So the only running at all times antivirus anti-malware is Bitdefender. I have noticed even though it indicates some of the settings are custom and off bitdefender still seems to be reporting events blocked like they are on and functioning, and autopilot is not set to off as it would be if I customized the settings. So maybe it's still functioning right at default autopilot settings. Aren't antiviruses supposed to protect themselves? When I installed bitdefender I enabled that.

• HI MikeWB,

Welcome on the forum!

You'd better first download from a clean machine BD rescue disk (to be written on a cd-rom as an ISO file) and restart on the cd to analyze your system.

rescue disk

Best regards,

L.

I'll try that, but I don't think it will undue the settings. Thanks

• I'll try that, but I don't think it will undue the settings. Thanks

Hi MikeWB,

It could help:

autopilot disabled

Elsewhere, the solution is to deinstall/reinstall it too, but with the Bitdefender help: (below)

BD uninstall

Question:

Are you sure you got rid of completely of McAfee and so on?

It's difficult to get rid of an extra software without going fumbling in the registry base... and it could create havoc.

Maybe try to check the safety of your system then deinstall/reinstall...

I know, it su*cks a bit, but you are the only one to know the history of your installations...

Good luck!

L.

• Hi MikeWB,

It could help:

autopilot disabled

Elsewhere, the solution is to deinstall/reinstall it too, but with the Bitdefender help: (below)

BD uninstall

Question:

Are you sure you got rid of completely of McAfee and so on?

It's difficult to get rid of an extra software without going fumbling in the registry base... and it could create havoc.

Maybe try to check the safety of your system then deinstall/reinstall...

I know, it su*cks a bit, but you are the only one to know the history of your installations...

Good luck!

L.

I ran the rescue disk and nothing. I've also got the Bitdefender uninstall tool previously and had to run it in safe mode to completely uninstall. I can use revo uninstaller to hunt down all registry entries for Mcafee, but I really think it's another program changing the settings in Bitdefender and not any antispyware or antivirus program. The changes happen about 12 hours after I reinstall Bitdefender everytime after I restart my computer. I suspected sandboxie but they tell me it doesn't change Bitdefender, only sandboxies settings because there's a known conflict. Also even though the settings have been changed autopilot is still on, which doesn't make sense,in the past if I changed the settings manually autopilot would go off. Bitdefender also shows me alerts saying it has done stuff that is contrary to the settings and should be off, so as long as I don't disable auto pilot I think I'm fine.

33wl7vq.jpg

• I ran the rescue disk and nothing. I've also got the Bitdefender uninstall tool previously and had to run it in safe mode to completely uninstall. I can use revo uninstaller to hunt down all registry entries for Mcafee, but I really think it's another program changing the settings in Bitdefender and not any antispyware or antivirus program. The changes happen about 12 hours after I reinstall Bitdefender everytime after I restart my computer. I suspected sandboxie but they tell me it doesn't change Bitdefender, only sandboxies settings because there's a known conflict. Also even though the settings have been changed autopilot is still on, which doesn't make sense,in the past if I changed the settings manually autopilot would go off. Bitdefender also shows me alerts saying it has done stuff that is contrary to the settings and should be off, so as long as I don't disable auto pilot I think I'm fine.

33wl7vq.jpg

Hello MIKEWB,

i have the same issue as you and i realised it with the weekly report telling me my system is at risk even with auto pilot on. I contacted support i hope they'll get back to me quick.

• Hello MIKEWB,

i have the same issue as you and i realised it with the weekly report telling me my system is at risk even with auto pilot on. I contacted support i hope they'll get back to me quick.

I hope so. I've gotten nothing from them on any ticket I put in. The only time they actually helped me is when I called them on the phone. They set me a link to a program to uninstall bitdefender and I didn't have to wait weeks for the help, but the problem came back after reinstalling. I just received a new Dell Inspiron 5749 to replace my 5 month old 5748 that never worked right, but haven't installed Bitdefender yet. I'm trying another antivirus for 14 days to see how that is first because I have to many problems with Bitdefender including the stupid remote lock program that locked me out of my computer and wouldn't let me back in when I tested it forcing me to reinstall windows 8.1 and all my data, and no answers ever from support, but if that don't pan out I will be installing Bitdefender again. If the problem comes back though I will be trying other anti virus software. I used Avast for almost 15 years before switching anti virus software because Avast started malfunctioning and using 100 CPU most of the time. Then I tried Panda. I didn't like it. I then tried Comodo which I really liked after I found out how to set it up right, but its firewall started using to much CPU all the time and I couldn't disable it. So I did some research and decided I would install Bitdefender. Now I'm trying Webroot for 14 days, but that's causing problems on the new computer making explorer.exe use 300MB of memory. So I am probably installing Bitdefender on this new computer, but if the problem comes back without a solution I will be looking elsewhere again. I like the features of Bitdefender especially the profiles, but the problems without any answers are annoying me.

• I am having this same issue. I can't find any malware on my system that could possibly be responsible. No other AV installed either.

• Seeing the same issue....but my settings get pushed to CUSTOM and then it won't let me reset to DEFAULT. IDS got disabled too. Did full scan, found nothing.

• Nesivos
    Nesivos
    edited June 2015
    Hi!

Remember:

Best regards,

L

Regarding Malwarebytes Home Premium and BD 2015 this has been my experience using them both together in realtime for over a year.

1. When installing BD 2015 and before running a repair of BD 2015 it is necessary to first uninstall Malwarebytes Home Premum. No need for a complete clean uninstall. Just a basic uninstall using the Windows uninstall feature or a generic uninstaller.

2. After installing or repairing and confiiguring BD 2015 reinstall Malwarebytes Home Premium.

I discovered that these steps work through trial and error. I have used BDIS 2015 and Malwareytes Pro, now Home Premium in realtime together for well over a year and once installed as dsecribed above have never had and problems with both running together in realtime. It used to be with the old Malwarebyes Pro, Malwarebytes suggested entering exclusions for BD in Malwarebytes and vice versa. I have found that is no longer necessary with Malwarebyes Home Premium. They both work fine together fine for me on two W7-SP1 computers without the exclusions. Just my experience.

Note: If you ask the Malwarebytes people over on their forum. They will tell you that Malwarebytes is not an anti-virus program and they are correct. They will also tell you thata BD 2015 and Malwarebytes Home Premium are fully compatible and in my experience they are also correct on this point. They will not however tell you that you need to install BD 2015 first.

• Seeing the same issue....but my settings get pushed to CUSTOM and then it won't let me reset to DEFAULT. IDS got disabled too. Did full scan, found nothing.

This issue keeps reappearing for me :( (In addition, for me, Active Virus Control is also turned off and cannot be re-enabled.) The first time, after contacting support, I was advised to do a repair. This worked, but the issue reappeared after several weeks. The second time, a repair did not work. After attempting a repair, BD was so screwed up it couldn't even open. I had to do a complete reinstall. Now, after several weeks again, the issue has reappeared once more.

• This issue keeps reappearing for me :( (In addition, for me, Active Virus Control is also turned off and cannot be re-enabled.) The first time, after contacting support, I was advised to do a repair. This worked, but the issue reappeared after several weeks. The second time, a repair did not work. After attempting a repair, BD was so screwed up it couldn't even open. I had to do a complete reinstall. Now, after several weeks again, the issue has reappeared once more.

Same issue here after upgrading to Windows 10

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭
    edited August 2015

@MikeWB please temporarily turn off Bitdefender Profiles and let me know if the Bitdefender settings no longer change. Open Bitdefender and go to Tools -> Profiles -> switch it OFF.

For all the others: if the above suggestion does not help please follow the steps from this knowledge-base article and attach to your reply the BDSP_ archive resulted on your Desktop:

http://www.bitdefender.com/support/how-to-...t-log-1168.html

• @MikeWB please temporarily turn off Bitdefender Profiles and let me know if the Bitdefender settings no longer change. Open Bitdefender and go to Tools -> Profiles -> switch it OFF.

For all the others: if the above suggestion does not help please follow the steps from this knowledge-base article and attach to your reply the BDSP_ archive resulted on your Desktop:

http://www.bitdefender.com/support/how-to-...t-log-1168.html

Unfortunately, even zipped, the BDSP folder is too large to be attached. Is there another way I can get these files to you? This issue is rather concerning. I had hoped after upgrading to 2016 the issue would be resolved, but it is still present. I am worried malware that targets BD could be behind it.

• Unfortunately, even zipped, the BDSP folder is too large to be attached. Is there another way I can get these files to you? This issue is rather concerning. I had hoped after upgrading to 2016 the issue would be resolved, but it is still present. I am worried malware that targets BD could be behind it.

Hiya,

Download the file to a host, such as Sendspace and then link that URL to Bitdefender.

Ro.

• Hiya,

Download the file to a host, such as Sendspace and then link that URL to Bitdefender.

Ro.

Ok, I uploaded to Google Docs. Hopefully this works.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx1uH3OYcU...iew?usp=sharing