[sent to Developers] Windows Firewall Settings + Windows 10

I think I found a bug with the Firewall. If the Block Internet Connection Sharing option is selected from the Firewall settings, then all traffic is blocked to and from the PC. If you deselect it, traffic resumes. I also have Windows Firewall activated (but issue reproduces even if it is not). Also, my Internet Connection isn't shared among different adapters, so I don't know why the Block Internet Connection Sharing affects me in that way. I'm using Windows 10 Pro. Thank you. (Before updating/using the new Windows 10 version of Bitdefender, I did not have this issue).

Comments

• I can confirm that I have the same problem. At first I reverted to Windows Firewall but upon reading your post, I tried re-enabling Bitdefender's Firewall and disabling the protection on shared internet connections. Your workaround works.

• same here. Plus there is no notifications in events for firewall (example: I get frequently port scanned on utorrent and now no notification on nothing even normal process)

• Same problem here except that it didn't show up until several reboots. I had to disable the BD firewall to get connectivity. Thanks for the work around!

• I also have a problem with the "Block Internet Connection Sharing" blocking ALL traffic. I turned it off for the meantime and won't upgrade to the new Bitdefender W10 version until this is fixed.

• Same thing here.

Also, BD does not save the settings if the system crashes after disabling internet connection sharing.

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Could you please keep enabled 'Block Internet Connection Sharing' and instead switch only Stealth Mode to OFF under Protection > Firewall > Adapters?

Please post back your results.

• Hello all,

Could you please keep enabled 'Block Internet Connection Sharing' and instead switch only Stealth Mode to OFF under Protection > Firewall > Adapters?

Please post back your results.

Will try this as soon as I get home. I know that I had set the adapter to Trusted beforehand, but to no avail. Thank you for the reply.

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am particularly interested to know how you have set Stealth Mode, not Network Type. And if changing Stealth Mode to Off addresses the issue.

Looking forward to your results.

• I have disabled the Bitdefender Firewall as it is now blocking Skype after the upgrade to Windows 10 (I use Skype for business so it is critical that it works).

Very odd thing happens - Connection is fine using the internet and Skype signs in fine but when I initiate a call after about four minutes the connection is blocked (nothing in the firewall log) and then not only is Skype blocked but the internet connections stops. Only way I can see to get it working is to turn off Bitdefender firewall and then "voila" it works fine.

• Hi,

I am particularly interested to know how you have set Stealth Mode, not Network Type. And if changing Stealth Mode to Off addresses the issue.

Looking forward to your results.

Switched Stealth mode from Remote (or On) to Off and traffic resumes, with Block Internet Connection Sharing enabled.

• I am having the same issue where with Bitdefender Firewall enabled and 'Block Internet Connection Sharing' enabled that I could not get out to the internet after upgrading to Windows 10. Once I disabled Block Internet Connection Sharing I could get out to the internet. I am having this issue on a Lenovo Yoga, I have another Lenovo PC that has been upgraded to Windows 10 and it is not experiencing this issue.

• Ditto for me. Spent 3 hours yesterday dealing with this issue.

• shillydwagon
    edited August 2015

Same issue here after reboot. With Stealth on, all network traffic stops, even LAN traffic. If I turn Stealth off, all network traffic works. I don't have to change Network Type or Generic. If I change Network Type to Trusted and Generic to Yes, if Stealth is On, traffic does not work.

Edit: Also, this affects wired and wi-fi connections.

• Lionet
    edited August 2015
    Same issue here after reboot. With Stealth on, all network traffic stops, even LAN traffic. If I turn Stealth off, all network traffic works. I don't have to change Network Type or Generic. If I change Network Type to Trusted and Generic to Yes, if Stealth is On, traffic does not work.

Hi shillydwagon

Please read one of Georgia's most récent answers, she does not indicate to put the network to Trusted but to home.

Regards,

L.

• Same issue here after reboot. With Stealth on, all network traffic stops, even LAN traffic. If I turn Stealth off, all network traffic works. I don't have to change Network Type or Generic. If I change Network Type to Trusted and Generic to Yes, if Stealth is On, traffic does not work.

Sorry I lost the link to the topic.

Maybe you could reboot your box?

Regards,

L.

• @shillydwagon,

I am using Windows 10 with Bitdefender Total Security 2015 Windows 10, and have no problems with any connections with my adapters set to Network Type:Trusted, Stealth Mode:Remote, Generic:Off.

Ro.

• Sorry I lost the link to the topic.

Maybe you could reboot your box?

Regards,

L.

Thanks. I have internet working, I was just sharing what settings worked for me. I'll add rundown in the next reply.

• @shillydwagon,

I am using Windows 10 with Bitdefender Total Security 2015 Windows 10, and have no problems with any connections with my adapters set to Network Type:Trusted, Stealth Mode:Remote, Generic:Off.

Ro.

Thanks for the suggestion, but this is not working on my PC. I'll post my results in next post.

• This test was to verify that it's the Stealth setting for my setup and to give support another data point. I tired all the setting combinations.

The method was, changing the setting, waiting about 15s, opening Chrome and clicking on Google Drive Link. Usually the page opens right away. When there is an issue, I can see the page start to load in ~25s and it doesn't finish. In the tests, I stopped at 60s, because it's obvious there is an issue and I don't have all day to test :wacko: .

As you can see below, for my issue, it seems that Stealth On or Remote is causing the hang-ups.

Results:

Normal = Drive My Drive Page visible and completely loaded about 3s.

Slow/Stopped = Drive My Drive Page visible in ~25s and not completely loaded after 60s.

Network Type:Stealth Mode:Generic

Public:Off:Off Normal

Public:Off:On Normal

Public:On:On Slow/Stopped

Public:On:Off Slow/Stopped

Public:Remote:Off Slow/Stopped

Public:Remote:On Slow/Stopped

Home/Office:Off:Off Normal

Home/Office:Off:On Normal

Home/Office:On:On Slow/Stopped

Home/Office:On:Off Slow/Stopped

Home/Office:Remote:Off Slow/Stopped

Home/Office:Remote:On Slow/Stopped

Trusted:Off:Off Normal

Trusted:Off:On Normal

Trusted:On:On Slow/Stopped

Trusted:On:Off Slow/Stopped

Trusted:Remote:Off Slow/Stopped

Trusted:Remote:On Slow/Stopped

• I have the same problem (firewall block my internet connection), but in addition I set the paranoiac mode to ON and I receive no alert, the firewall application rules are empty and the firewall Events are empty too !!

And maybe it is just a very strange hasard, but today I received an email from my ISP about "illegal bittorrent download" being done from my computer and the date and time fit exactly with the time I changed the BD firewall setting !?!?!.

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Our developers are aware of this issue and working to solve it.

Until then, if you lose internet connection after upgrading to Windows 10 please make the changes recommended in this Bitdefender article:

http://www.bitdefender.com/support/-1455.html

We apologize for the inconvenience. We will post back when the issue is resolved.

• Hello all,

Our developers are aware of this issue and working to solve it.

Until then, if you lose internet connection after upgrading to Windows 10 please make the changes recommended in this Bitdefender article:

http://www.bitdefender.com/support/-1455.html

We apologize for the inconvenience. We will post back when the issue is resolved.

Hello Georgia,

As you previously mentioned, setting the adapter's Stealth Mode to Off resolves the issue, but only until the next system restart, where it defaults itself to On. I personally reverted back to disabling the Block Internet Connection Sharing option from the Firewall menu, as this setting is preserved even after system reboot.

Thank you for your time and attention,

Ovidiu

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭

Hi Ovidiu,

The Stealth Mode change should be kept after system restart as long as Generic setting is ON and not OFF.

Can you please confirm that you've made that change as well?

• FYI: Just now, I got a software update notice. Updated and this issue is no longer present. :D

• just perform a clean install (uninstall BD with the uninstall tool and reinstall BD TS from the offline installer v19) and now everything work great (firewall event, application rules and paranoic alert are back :)

FYI I install the French version of BD Total security

• I installed the beta for Total Security 2016 and saw that Stealth Mode defaults to Off, no longer an option to Block Internet Connection Sharing... All is well at the moment... Takes a really long time to scan links with the search adviser though... and also to perform updates... but I'll write it down in the official feedback form. Cheers!

• All I had to do was turn Stealth Mode off, no other changes made traffic restored....