Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

File Shredder On A Ssd? And How Permanent It Is?

Options

Since SSD work differently than HDs and data keeps moving thru the SSD i was wondering how effective is the file shredder in a SSD and if its really unrecoverable by anyone.

Comments

• Since SSD work differently than HDs and data keeps moving thru the SSD i was wondering how effective is the file shredder in a SSD and if its really unrecoverable by anyone.

No support or mods can answer this?

• No support or mods can answer this?

Hi preguntonontrack,

You will find below the link to join the technical support:

BD remove a file permanently

The technical support could answer, not the user (me) who do not know the software.

Please give more information...

Why do you ask?

You want to resell your SSD?

You want to get rid of it?

It is easy to destroy a disk anyway if we do not want anyone else to have access to data...

Of course SSD are different from HD (link below)

SSD erase data

Companies that sell software to recover/suppress data brag their product can recover/suppress data.

In the past I bought that kind of stuff with no avail (or little success with HDD) concerning recovering data, at least... SSD are quite different indeed

Overwrite or not?

Why don't you try with your SSD?

Regards,

L.

-_-

Note: I'm cautious:

I put system/softwares on one disc

I put every personnal data on another disc.

• Hi preguntonontrack,

You will find below the link to join the technical support:

BD remove a file permanently

The technical support could answer, not the user (me) who do not know the software.

Please give more information...

Why do you ask?

You want to resell your SSD?

You want to get rid of it?

It is easy to destroy a disk anyway if we do not want anyone else to have access to data...

Of course SSD are different from HD (link below)

SSD erase data

Companies that sell software to recover/suppress data brag their product can recover/suppress data.

In the past I bought that kind of stuff with no avail (or little success with HDD) concerning recovering data, at least... SSD are quite different indeed

Overwrite or not?

Why don't you try with your SSD?

Regards,

L.

-_-

Note: I'm cautious:

I put system/softwares on one disc

I put every personnal data on another disc.

• No no, ill never use a tool like file shredder to wipe a full drive. There are better software for that. The reason is that i upgraded to an SSD recently and ready about secure erasing software and the differences and how some may or may not work. I use file shredder in the office to constantly delete employers documents, receipts and personal documents. In case the computer gets stole or something else happens some files are better to be permanently deleted.

• @preguntonontrack, I would not recommend using the File Shredder on a SSD, as it may damage it or lower the drive's life expectancy.

• Since SSD work differently than HDs and data keeps moving thru the SSD i was wondering how effective is the file shredder in a SSD and if its really unrecoverable by anyone.

My understanding is that you can use file shredder on SSD. File shredder makes data inaccessible to the OS, but data is not deleted until SSD drive is Trimmed. On W8.1 and W10, by default SSD is optimized\trimmed once per week.

• SolidStateBox
    edited October 2015
    Options

If you are worried about SSD damage or reducing life-span, avoiding typical use of the File Shredder will not increase the life-span of your SSD any more than a miniscule amount.