Firewall Adapter Settings Help

Hi can anyone help me with what the settings mean and what is best to choose

There has been many times i have googled, recommended firewall settings for bitdefender.

i generally always end up to articles on this site, but there always seemd to be 2 different settings people recommend and thats:

Network type: Home/Office

Stealth mode: Remote or Off

Generic: On / Off

it always seems to be a mixture of them settings.

Now i have just upgraded to the 2016 version and just noticed there is no remote in the settings for stealth mode, so i guess that makes that setting easy to set to off now?

what was the difference between remote and off and how come remote has been removed in the 2016 version?

And with generic, what is the difference between on / off, from what i have read on seems to be the better option, but what are the better options for me to select for good internet performance, most of the time i was looking at settings because the internet was slow.

thanks

James

Comments

• I don't have any answers, although I have the same questions!

These settings are very poorly documented.

BD should add a KB page explaining the functions and ramifications for each of the Firewall settings.

And also why BD's firewall is better (is it?) than the one that comes with Windows 7/10.

• I don't have any answers, although I have the same questions!

These settings are very poorly documented.

BD should add a KB page explaining the functions and ramifications for each of the Firewall settings.

And also why BD's firewall is better (is it?) than the one that comes with Windows 7/10.

For me internet speed is very good and Im using Home/Office with Stealth ON and Generic OFF

And in General Firewall rules I set Deny on 'Incoming Remote Desktop Connections'

• thanks for your reply, how do i actually ad that rule to stop all inbound remote connections?

would that interfere with games?

• R3stant3
    edited October 2015

Hi,

Stealth Mode is on> your computer is invisible from both the local network and the Internet> might result in slow Internet speed...

Stealth Mode is off> computer is visible on the local network and on the Internet> I would recommend this setting for better performance and faster browsing speed.

Stealth Mode is Remote> your computer cannot be detected from the Internet. Local network users can ping and detect your computer> not available in 2016.

Generic - whether generic rules are applied to this connection> basically it must be set to on in order to apply the rules.

• Typing mistake

*Stealth Mode is Remote> your computer cannot be detected from the Internet. Local network users can ping and detect your computer> not available in 2016.

• SolidStateBox
    edited October 2015
    Hi can anyone help me with what the settings mean and what is best to choose

There has been many times i have googled, recommended firewall settings for bitdefender.

i generally always end up to articles on this site, but there always seemd to be 2 different settings people recommend and thats:

Network type: Home/Office

Stealth mode: Remote or Off

Generic: On / Off

it always seems to be a mixture of them settings.

Now i have just upgraded to the 2016 version and just noticed there is no remote in the settings for stealth mode, so i guess that makes that setting easy to set to off now?

what was the difference between remote and off and how come remote has been removed in the 2016 version?

And with generic, what is the difference between on / off, from what i have read on seems to be the better option, but what are the better options for me to select for good internet performance, most of the time i was looking at settings because the internet was slow.

thanks

James

Maximum Settings for Adapter (and convenience for user):

Network Type - Public

Stealth Mode - ON (Not necessary if you are behind NAT\cable router at home\office... Router acts as hardware firewall and you would have to set up port forwarding for Stealth Mode to be necessary).

Generic - ON (If you use hot spot\Public Wifi. If system never leaves home then OFF is OK if you experience issue with ON).

Don't set Generic - ON and set network type to Trusted ! If you do, then Trusted network will be applied if you go out and use unencrypted hot spot\Wifi !!! Only use Generic - OFF with Trusted !

Under Firewall Rules, select Show Generic Rules. Set Incoming Remote Desktop to Deny.

Use Safe Pay when using hot spot\Wifi.

As long as you keep it enabled, Intrusion Detection System is very good at detecting and blocking malicious network activity (Malicious Attack)... even if you mess up your settings.

• I have "Public" for both of my networks, "Stealth mode" is "On" and Generic is "On" too. I think that it's best for protection.