Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Antimalware Service Executable

shmu26
edited October 2015 in Protection

windows 10 pro x64

I have bitdefender TS 2016 installed and running.

why does windows task manager show that the process "antimalware service executable" is periodically running (and using lots of CPU)?

Isn't this a Windows Defender process?

I thought that WD is inactive when a third-party AV is active.

Comments

• jitzy
    jitzy ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    windows 10 pro x64

why does windows task manager show that the process "antimalware service executable" is periodically running (and using lots of CPU)?

Yes its Windows Defender Service

Its supposed to be turned off after 15-30 seconds on bootup

Sometimes it doesn't and I am yet to hear the reason and workaround from Bitdefender Support

Since you have Windows 10 Pro you can turn Windows defender on/off permanently using Group Policy Editor

To turn off Windows Defender ---> type gpedit.msc on run command--> Computer Configuration --> Administrative Templates --> Windows Components --> Windows Defender --> double click on "Turn off windows Defender" --> select "Enabled" --> click OK --> exit policy editor and restart your system

To turn on Windows Defender, open gpedit.msc --> Computer Configuration --> Administrative Templates --> Windows Components --> Windows Defender --> double click on "Turn off windows Defender" --> select "Disabled" or "Not Configured" --> click Ok --> exit GPE and restart PC

• Yes its Windows Defender Service

Its supposed to be turn off after 15-30 seconds on bootup

Sometimes it doesn't and I am yet to hear the reason and workaround from Bitdefender Support

Since you have Windows 10 Pro you can turn Windows defender on/off permanently using Group Policy Editor

To turn off Windows Defender --->type gpedit.msc on run command--> Computer Configuration --> Administrative Templates --> Windows Components --> Windows Defender --> double click on "Turn off windows Defender" --> select "Enabled" --> click OK --> exit policy editor and restart your system

To turn on Windows Defender, open gpedit.msc --> Computer Configuration --> Administrative Templates --> Windows Components --> Windows Defender --> double click on "Turn off windows Defender" --> select "Disabled" or "Not Configured" --> click Ok --> exit GPE and restart PC

thanks.

it is set to not configured. I can choose disable, but it says it still will run by default.

• thanks.

it is set to not configured. I can choose disable, but it says it still will run by default.

Choose "Enabled"

• windows 10 pro x64

It is a long-standing issue with Windows. There are race conditions that affects disabling of Windows Defender and Firewall. Just manually turn Windows Defender off.

If Windows Antimalware Service is randomly starting, then that is a separate issue.

The problem might not be with Bitdefender, but instead it is Microsoft's problem. There are many issues that Microsoft does not fix that causes problems for security soft vendors and, therefore, users of their product.

The work around is to disable it via a registry tweak. If you search online you will find it for W10.

This discussion has been closed.