Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

What Is Supposed To Be The Issue With The Free Version?

Options

Hi all

I've only been using Bit Defender free version for a couple of months now. I installed it as soon as the 3 month trial of McAfee expired.

I'm running windows 10 and hadn't noticed any problems with it. It picked up something and did it's job without issue.

For now I've uninstalled it as I got worried about the compatibility problems and have Avira free but it seems to hog the system on start up, never had that problem with Bit Defender.

I'd love to go back to it so does anybody know what the compatibility issues with Windows 10 are, how serious they are and also when the new version will be available?

Thanks Tom

Comments

• dch48
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Hi all

I've only been using Bit Defender free version for a couple of months now. I installed it as soon as the 3 month trial of McAfee expired.

I'm running windows 10 and hadn't noticed any problems with it. It picked up something and did it's job without issue.

For now I've uninstalled it as I got worried about the compatibility problems and have Avira free but it seems to hog the system on start up, never had that problem with Bit Defender.

I'd love to go back to it so does anybody know what the compatibility issues with Windows 10 are, how serious they are and also when the new version will be available?

Thanks Tom

The web scanning does not work at all and there may be many wrong, false, or even missed detections by the main scanners. There is no word yet on when the new free version will be available.

• The web scanning does not work at all and there may be many wrong, false, or even missed detections by the main scanners. There is no word yet on when the new free version will be available.

Thanks for the reply.

So it can't really be trusted then? :(

I'll keep my fingers crossed that we don't have to wait too long for the new version.......I wonder if my account will still be valid when I install the new one?

Cheers Tom

• The new version has both 3-year wait.

And all the time promised to release her.

Not yet tired of hope?

• Do NOT use BT free with W10, not secure at all...

I ended up with Windows defender and chrome antimalware shield on. For better security you can use the Avira chrome shield and you are safe without any advertisement.

• Rohugh
    Options

If you try to download Bitdefender Antivirus Free on a Windows 10 machine then you are told that it is not yet compatible, warning enough I think.

Ro.

post-175392-1444735734_thumb.jpg

• The new version has both 3-year wait.

And all the time promised to release her.

Not yet tired of hope?

There really was no need for a new version before when everything was working fine. Now there is a need. It's a totally different situation.

• Sadly there are Youtube videos online showing how to install BD AV FREE on Windows 10.

There are no doubt countless computers on the planet running it in Windows 10 and don`t even have a clue that they are "not" safely protected at all.

Hard to believe Bitdefender has`nt released a free version for Windows 10.

• lapka
    edited October 2015
    Options
    There really was no need for a new version before when everything was working fine.

This abnormal situation, when the product 3 years is not updated, but only adds new numbers in the version name, despite the fact that it works.

Bugs are not eliminated for years.

Despite my commitment to this antivirus, I recognize it as his virtues and his flaws.

And I regret that he will die soon. That will release a new version I no believe that life has shown that all the promises of the command BD are not worth a dаmn.

• lapka
    edited October 2015
    Options

del.

• Sadly there are Youtube videos online showing how to install BD AV FREE on Windows 10.

There are no doubt countless computers on the planet running it in Windows 10 and don`t even have a clue that they are "not" safely protected at all.

I had seen all sorts of people reporting issues with Windows 10 on Lenovo laptops ( i think ) but the installation went flawlessly on my Toshiba so didn't give it a second thought till I started reading about the fact that I may not have been protected.

I really do hope the new version is released sooner rather than later as I love the simplicity of it.

Cheers Tom

• dch48
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Sadly there are Youtube videos online showing how to install BD AV FREE on Windows 10.

Yes, it seems to run perfectly fine in Windows 10. It's only when you go to certain websites in Win 10 and in another Windows version like 7 or 8.1 that you notice that the web filtering is not working because the Win 10 machine does not block access and the others do. The other problems are even more insidious and more dangerous. Anyone who installs it in Windows 10 is taking a risk. The built in Defender would even be better.
  • Unknown
    edited October 2015
    Options
    when the product 3 years is not updated, but only adds new numbers in the version name

The current version number 1.0.21.1099 calls out the Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition Service (gzserv.exe), aka Gonzales/Nimbus, and its associate libraries and user interface. It is two years old, not three. These don't need an update because 1) they work and 2) they work in the cloud.

•Contributing further to this "supposed issues" discussion:

The BDCore realtime shield, B-Have heuristics, anti-rootkit, HTTP filtering, Web services, network IDS and Bitdefender's flagship invention, Active Virus Control, are all current major version processes and with a few exceptions lagging in the minor metric (per the industry's major.minor.patch.build convention). In fact, these can, and have been, updated in the background; I forget the exact wording, but there will be an entry for such in the Events LOGS.

A subset of anti-virus/malware definitions (the balance being on the Nimbus servers) and complete sets of Active Virus Control components are updated as BD releases them, on that average every 2 hours.

ANY of the so-called "free Bitdefender engine" offerings present only BDCore and B-Have. Those will scan a file in your download directory upon download completion. BD Free scans a downloading file in your system temp folder before moving it to your download directory and will in many cases detect before a download completes.

Nor will you find BD's acclaimed HTTP filtering anywhere else. BD Free's version is not merely a browser extension. It monitors the protocol for all Internet facing applications. Well, all of mine - and that's a bunch. It even works on an ancient POP3 monitor I use which utilizes Windows' run time HTML Viewer (mshtml.dll, iertutil.dll, etc.).

The point here is Bitdefender Free is not a "free Bitdfender engine" application and Bitdefender should be lauded for making so much available for free.

The only issue I have with Free is the use of 2005 and 2010 versions of MS Visual Studio which might be the cause of the bugs seen by some (and probably the incompatibility with Windows 10). If I remember correctly, the 2010 version components were rolled out to address most of those bugs.

As for Windows 10, it is experiencing the same public roll-out problems as every previous Windows. As Linux. As Apple. As Android. As Novel. As DOS. As CP/M.

Currently, Windows 10 PCs number in low teens in millions (out of billions running 8 and previous). Anyone choosing to or unfortunately coerced into Windows 10 needs to find a compatible (not as good, IMHO) free alternative or pay up for BD 2016.

If and when BD makes good on its obscure disclosures for and updated Free version, it'll be worth the wait. For me, I'll be with Windows 7 until support ends in 2020.

Cheers.

• I may not have been protected.

You are NOT being protected.

Experts universally confirm this as does... um, who's that outfit? Hmmmm. Oh yeah, BITDEFENDER. ^_^

• Unknown
    edited October 2015
    Options

Not hard at all.See my post above, lucky #13...

As for Windows 10, it is experiencing the same public roll-out problems as every previous Windows. As Linux. As Apple. As Android. As Novel. As DOS. As CP/M. Currently, Windows 10 PCs number in low teens in millions (out of billions running 8 and previous). Anyone choosing to or unfortunately coerced into Windows 10 needs to find a compatible (not as good, IMHO) free alternative or pay up for BD 2016.

IMHO, anything "compatible" in Windows 10 is "experimental."

For those in an economic situation where free applications are a necessity, that is Microsofts's fault - not Bitdefender.

Cheers.

• dch48
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Currently, Windows 10 PCs number in low teens in millions (out of billions running 8 and previous). Anyone choosing to or unfortunately coerced into Windows 10 needs to find a compatible (not as good, IMHO) free alternative or pay up for BD 2016.

If and when BD makes good on its obscure disclosures for and updated Free version, it'll be worth the wait. For me, I'll be with Windows 7 until support ends in 2020.

Cheers.

The latest figures show Windows 10 surpassing 8.1 and catching up to 7 (although still substantially behind).

Although I love Windows 7, 8.1 is better and 10 is better yet.

• The latest figures show Windows 10 surpassing 8.1 and catching up to 7 (although still substantially behind).

Oh. OK.

• You are NOT being protected.

Experts universally confirm this as does... um, who's that outfit? Hmmmm. Oh yeah, BITDEFENDER. ^_^

I will wait impatiently for a working win 10 version while the avira thing looks after my needs. One question though. As I registered for an account with BitDefender, will I receive an automatic notification when the new free version is released?

Cheers Tom

• Rohugh
    Options
    One question though. As I registered for an account with BitDefender, will I receive an automatic notification when the new free version is released?

Hiya,

Doubtful, I guess you will have to check on these forums from time to time.

Ro.

• The latest figures show Windows 10 surpassing 8.1 and catching up to 7 (although still substantially behind).

Our last laptop had vista on and I found it painfully slow but apart from that it was "usable". Very similar spec machine that our youngest daughter had was equipped with 7. Way quicker and it crashed less. Our new laptop came with 8.1 installed and I hated it's interface. Eventually I got it set up to boot to the old desktop but I still couldn't use it as I wished so when 10 became available as an update I was more than happy.

My only issue with it is the edge browser removing the cursor from the google search bar a second after the page loads.....

If I'd have been stuck with 8 or 8.1, I would have been looking at putting 7 on it but as it stands now, I'm happy overall.

Cheers Tom

• dch48
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Our last laptop had vista on and I found it painfully slow but apart from that it was "usable". Very similar spec machine that our youngest daughter had was equipped with 7. Way quicker and it crashed less. Our new laptop came with 8.1 installed and I hated it's interface. Eventually I got it set up to boot to the old desktop but I still couldn't use it as I wished so when 10 became available as an update I was more than happy.

My only issue with it is the edge browser removing the cursor from the google search bar a second after the page loads.....

If I'd have been stuck with 8 or 8.1, I would have been looking at putting 7 on it but as it stands now, I'm happy overall.

Cheers Tom

I'm using Windows 10 (and 8.1 before it) with Classic Shell installed and the Start Menu set to look exactly like the Win 7 one. It looks and works just like 7 but the OS is a better and more secure one "under the hood". I don't use Cortana, task view, or even Edge. I still use IE 11 as the default browser. I'd like to use Edge but it feels like it's incomplete and the favorites management leaves much to be desired. I never see any tiles at all and use desktop icons like I always have.

On a side note, page wrapping still does not work for new posts in this forum using IE 11. Everything I type goes on one long line that never wraps. It's very inconvenient for posting and editing posts. It does not happen on any other site but this one. It was the same in 8.1.

How true.

I'd say that everyone will be running Windows 10 by, oh, the end of this week.

http://www.itproportal.com/2015/11/02/wind...n-rate-slowing/

I'm shocked at all these developers going out of their way to make 10 worse. Yet.

http://www.ghacks.net/2015/08/14/compariso...-privacy-tools/

• dch48
    edited November 2015
    Options
    How true.

I'd say that everyone will be running Windows 10 by, oh, the end of this week.

http://www.itproportal.com/2015/11/02/wind...n-rate-slowing/

I'm shocked at all these developers going out of their way to make 10 worse. Yet.

http://www.ghacks.net/2015/08/14/compariso...-privacy-tools/

None of those tools are necessary. They are mere fuel by and from paranoia. They probably all will make Win 10 worse and less stable.

So, to prove me wrong on the user numbers, you post a 10 month old chart? I clearly said the LATEST figures show 10 surpassing 8.1 and slowly catching up to 7 and that's exactly what the case is. This is especially true among gamers as can be seen by the figures in the latest Steam survey.

The complete list of market shares for different OS in the month of September is as follows:

Windows 10: 24.87%

Windows 8.1: 19.08%

Windows 8: 2.63%

Windows 7: 45.99%

Windows Vista: 0.54%

Windows XP: 2.56%

Mac OS X: 3.23%

Linux: 0.94%

Since every computer I have ever bought was intended primarily for gaming, those are the only figures I care about. Gamers are really the people who know and care about OS efficiency and performance the most. A huge percentage of the Win 7 users and most of those still on XP are in the business segment.

• you post a 10 month old chart

Actually the chart is dated November 2, Einstein. The DD/MM/YY format is how they do it in Great Britain.

But no matter. Windows 10 will be on everyone's computer any day now. By next week for sure. Can you feel it?!!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/12/02/wi..._rate_flattens/

Here are the LATEST figures:

Windows 10: 100000000%

Everything else: 0.0000000000

Source: gamers don't need no sources as we are really the people.

• dch48
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Actually the chart is dated November 2, Einstein. The DD/MM/YY format is how they do it in Great Britain.

But no matter. Windows 10 will be on everyone's computer any day now. By next week for sure. Can you feel it?!!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/12/02/wi..._rate_flattens/

Here are the LATEST figures:

Windows 10: 100000000%

Everything else: 0.0000000000

Source: gamers don't need no sources as we are really the people.

It won't be on everyone's PC in a week but it should be. Every source shows 10 gaining ground and 7 losing it. Wait until after the holidays with the influx of new machines given as gifts and it will be larger. Simply put, Windows 10 is better than 7 in every aspect except the UI which can be readily changed. 8.1 was also better than 7. This is not opinion but recognized fact. Windows Phone 8.1 is a fantastic OS for a mobile device and again, 10 can only be better.