Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bdts 2016 20.0.21.1191 Seems To Have Clobbered My Home Network

Hi Forumers,

I recently upgraded from BDTS 2015 to BDTS 2016. There were some issues in getting my subscription properly set up but that was worked out quite quickly by BD Support.

I can't say what the initial release level was but a couple of days after installing 2016, there was an update released, I believe, primarily to address some Firewall issues. The update is 20.0.21.1191.

As soon as it was downloaded and installed, I noticed that I had to reboot but I also noticed that I totally lost my network connectivity. My active network was locked to PUBLIC and the name was something like "Unidentified Network".

Strangely, my partner's machine on the same home LAN also lost connectivity and their network settings also changed and locked to PUBLIC and showed "Unidentified Network". (This second machine is still running BDTS 2015, not 2016. I did not want to upgrade it until I felt that 2016 was not going to cause problems.)

I tried rebooting my computer, the router, my partner's machine but, at this point, I AM ASSUMING the 1191 update did something to the firewall on my machine and "clobbered" something in my home network.

I uninstalled and reinstalled my Ethernet adapter/controller and, for a short while, started to work but within 5-10 minutes, my machine was back to PUBLIC and Unidentified.

I sent into BDTS firewall's settings and tried to change the adapter's type to home but this would not take. I checked Windows Network and Sharing Center and it still showed PUBLIC and "Unidentified" and when I went back into the Firewall settings, it was back to public.

One thing I did find was that there seemed to be a problem with DHCP not liking that I had my two machines set to static addresses. I changed them to dynamic addressing (IPV4) and, for a short time, the machines partially came back up but seemed to have restrictions on their communicating with things.

After much fighting and other work, I uninstalled 2016 and re-installed 2015 (with a bit of a struggle). I had to reinstall my previous router and then was able to get the home network properly configured back to the way it was before this all started.

Again, I've gone back to 2015 on my machine and have since reinstalled the new router (I reset it back to factory as I didn't know if, somehow, BD's firewall or other code "clobbered it".)

All is happily working with everything back on 2016.

I DO NOT RUN IPV6 external to my local lan (even though my ISP supports it).

I don't know what fixes you implemented with 1191 but I'd like to get some release notes with details as I'd really like to know if any of your changes to fix the previous IPV6 problems others have reported may have triggered something in my setup.

For your info.

My two PCs are running Windows 7 Professional. My new router is a Billion 7800VDOX with firmware one less than its current level (their release note do not discuss any problems with DHCP or firewall or anything that seemed obvious related), my old one a Billion 7404VNOX with the latest firmware.

All Windows fixes applied, etc.

I did scan my machines and BDTS 2015 has not found anything on the machines and, again, now that my machine is back on 2015 and I've rebuilt my router exactly as it was previously, there are no problems with my home network and I'm really concerned that I won't be able to upgrade safely to 2016 any time soon.

SO to any BD developers, did you do anything that would have "disabled" being able to adjust network adapters (Network and Sharing would not allow the network type to be changed, it was locked to PUBLIC) and I could not change the network name either.

I would submit a ticket but I'm not sure if the support website will open one or, if it does, if I can then look at it and reply to anything you might say. (When I try to look at a ticket or my list of tickets, all I get back is that there is an error and I can't do that. I've tried to report that as well but nothing returned to me and it isn't fixed. Still see "

Error

Sorry, the action you are trying to perform is not allowed."

)

Comments

• First off you are using Windows 7 which has its own networking issues. Windows 7 is a lot more difficult to configure and maintain network settings than Windows 10 is.

Having said that you might want to check to see if your Windows 7 Firewall is enabled and what network it is connected to. If it is connected to Public you might want to change it to Private and see what happens. You could also try turning off Windows 7 Firewall it is turned on.

• First off you are using Windows 7 which has its own networking issues. Windows 7 is a lot more difficult to configure and maintain network settings than Windows 10 is.

Having said that you might want to check to see if your Windows 7 Firewall is enabled and what network it is connected to. If it is connected to Public you might want to change it to Private and see what happens. You could also try turning off Windows 7 Firewall it is turned on.

Thanks for your reply.

Ever since adopting Bitdefender, I've had the Windows Firewall turned off. It seems to have been a glitch that was caused by the update that "installed" after I went to 2016.

I backed off the install and went back to 2015. Last week, I thought I'd brave things and reinstalled 2016 and all seems to be OK now. I don't know if it was a code update subsequent to my install (I'm now up to build 20.0.24.1290) but it seems to be OK now.

Regardless, all seems to be working now. I might get brave and upgrade my partner's machine next.