Unable To Open Vault Since W10/bitdefender Upgrade

Hi,

It seems that since my PC updated to a newer version of Bitdefender (following the update from Windows 8 (Pro 64bit, English) to Windows 10), I've been unable to open the BVD file I created in the earlier version of Bitdefender. The BVD file was created under an earlier version of Bitdefender Total Security 2015 (originally purchased ~ August 2014), but at some point since, the version of Bitdefender I'm now running no longer accepts the password (I didn't test the vault regularly, but I know it worked for some time after creating the vault).

As Bitdefender was acting up on my PC (on which I created the vault), I tried opening the file from another Windows 10 PC which also had Bitdefender installed, but on that PC, Bitdefender reports that the file is not a valid BVD file. Later, after some troubleshooting on the original PC and reinstalling the current version of Bitdefender, it now reports that the password is invalid (which I know is incorrect, as it has been stored in a password vault and has not been modified there since).

I've seen previous threads where people were only able to get their data back by restoring their PC back to the original Bitdefender version (http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=38948). Would it be possible to get an offline installer for the version of Bitdefender that would have been current in 2014? I'll happily reinstall W7 over my current OS partition if it will help get my data back, but I suspect I'll need the same version of BD I had at the time. (The BVD file is on a secondary partition which helps).

Does anyone have any other suggestions? The BVD file is ~ 30Gb and I really don't want to loose it.

Comments

• camarie
    camarie Principal Software Developer BD Staff
    Hi,

It seems that since my PC updated to a newer version of Bitdefender (following the update from Windows 8 (Pro 64bit, English) to Windows 10), I've been unable to open the BVD file I created in the earlier version of Bitdefender. The BVD file was created under an earlier version of Bitdefender Total Security 2015 (originally purchased ~ August 2014), but at some point since, the version of Bitdefender I'm now running no longer accepts the password (I didn't test the vault regularly, but I know it worked for some time after creating the vault).

As Bitdefender was acting up on my PC (on which I created the vault), I tried opening the file from another Windows 10 PC which also had Bitdefender installed, but on that PC, Bitdefender reports that the file is not a valid BVD file. Later, after some troubleshooting on the original PC and reinstalling the current version of Bitdefender, it now reports that the password is invalid (which I know is incorrect, as it has been stored in a password vault and has not been modified there since).

I've seen previous threads where people were only able to get their data back by restoring their PC back to the original Bitdefender version (http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=38948). Would it be possible to get an offline installer for the version of Bitdefender that would have been current in 2014? I'll happily reinstall W7 over my current OS partition if it will help get my data back, but I suspect I'll need the same version of BD I had at the time. (The BVD file is on a secondary partition which helps).

Does anyone have any other suggestions? The BVD file is ~ 30Gb and I really don't want to loose it.

I forwarded the issue to the testing team.

What I would like is to monitor this thread, because we might need some more details.

For now I have asked the test guys to (1) create a vault .bvd file with Total Security 2015, (2) move the vault to a machine with 2016, and try to reproduce if the vault exhibit the behavior you described. The decryption code has not changed since the beginning, but I would not rule out anything at this time.

We'll get back to you after we try to reproduce the issue.

Cristian

• morganmc
    edited January 2016

Hi Cristian,

Thanks for the quick reply. Just to clarify - I'm actually still running Bitdefender 2015, not 2016, although the OS has been upgraded, and the licence key has changed (the initial key was for 1 year - the subsequent key (i.e. the one currently activated in the product) is a 2 year subscription for Bitdefender Total Security 2015. (I had to reinstall Bitdefender after the upgrade to W10 - it wouldn't work correctly after the OS upgrade process.

Thanks. Let me know if there's any additional information I can share that might help.

• camarie
    Hi Cristian,

Thanks for the quick reply. Just to clarify - I'm actually still running Bitdefender 2015, not 2016, although the OS has been upgraded, and the licence key has changed (the initial key was for 1 year - the subsequent key (i.e. the one currently activated in the product) is a 2 year subscription for Bitdefender Total Security 2015. (I had to reinstall Bitdefender after the upgrade to W10 - it wouldn't work correctly after the OS upgrade process.

Thanks. Let me know if there's any additional information I can share that might help.

Thank you for the update, I will push this info to the testing team as well.

In the meantime - I know how it sounds, but I have to rule this out: any chance to type incorrectly the password, forgot it, use another password for it, or things like these?

(It is the most common mistake, after all - happens also to me all the time).

Cristian

• Thank you for the update, I will push this info to the testing team as well.

In the meantime - I know how it sounds, but I have to rule this out: any chance to type incorrectly the password, forgot it, use another password for it, or things like these?

(It is the most common mistake, after all - happens also to me all the time).

Cristian

Hi Cristian,

Unfortunately it's not a password issue. I saved the password to a password vault - I'm copying and pasting it from there, and can see that the password in the vault hasn't been updated since the day the vault was created. (I know I copied the password from the vault and successfully opened the vault on the day I created it, and a few times after that).

• camarie
    Hi Cristian,

Unfortunately it's not a password issue. I saved the password to a password vault - I'm copying and pasting it from there, and can see that the password in the vault hasn't been updated since the day the vault was created. (I know I copied the password from the vault and successfully opened the vault on the day I created it, and a few times after that).

Thanks for update, it was something that I had to clarify.

The testing team is constantly trying to reproduce the issue but no luck yet (32/64 vault transporting, move vaults from other installation, update versions).

I will ask tomorrow the QA guys on how do they think is better to handle this (if they are still having cases they want to test, if a remote connection to your computer is needed - it's their decision that I wait for).

Cristian

• Thanks for update, it was something that I had to clarify.

The testing team is constantly trying to reproduce the issue but no luck yet (32/64 vault transporting, move vaults from other installation, update versions).

I will ask tomorrow the QA guys on how do they think is better to handle this (if they are still having cases they want to test, if a remote connection to your computer is needed - it's their decision that I wait for).

Cristian

Thanks Christian - that can be arranged. The main OS change was from 8 to 10 (both were 64-bit). Bitdefender has always been the 2015 version. I can't imagine it's a likely culprit, but it would have started out as being covered by a single PC 1 year licence, to being a 3PC 2 year licence.

• Hi Morgan,

Thanks for your reply.

I need some aditional information:

- Bitdefender version (right click on Bitdefender icon from system tray and click About)

- Windows 10 version (OS Build; Ctrl+R, write winver and click OK)

- Open a Command Prompt window (Ctrl+R, write cmd and click OK), type: sc query bdvedisk and tell me the STATE

- Can you open another file vault?

Adrian.

• Hi Morgan,

Thanks for your reply.

I need some aditional information:

- Bitdefender version (right click on Bitdefender icon from system tray and click About)

- Windows 10 version (OS Build; Ctrl+R, write winver and click OK)

- Open a Command Prompt window (Ctrl+R, write cmd and click OK), type: sc query bdvedisk and tell me the STATE

- Can you open another file vault?

Adrian.

- Bitdefender Total Security 2015, Build 18.23.0.1604

- Windows 10.0 Build 10240

[i][SC] EnumQueryServicesStatus:OpenService FAILED 1060:
    The specified service does not exist as an installed service.[/i]

- I just tried creating one - it looks like it created, but I couldn't open it either to add anything to it.

I guess that narrows it down a little...

• Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Please reinstall Bitdefender Total Security 2015 using the latest installation kit available:

http://www.bitdefender.com/support/upgradi...ws-10-1460.html

After that, try to open your filevault.

Adrian.

• Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Please reinstall Bitdefender Total Security 2015 using the latest installation kit available:

http://www.bitdefender.com/support/upgradi...ws-10-1460.html

After that, try to open your filevault.

Adrian.

That looks to have done the trick - thank you very much!

• Glad to see that the situation has been resolved.

Topic Closed

This discussion has been closed.