[escalated] Same Spammer, Different Address

I have this problem with spammers right? Every day I get 20 emails with a link to a video of a girl undressing herself or someone claiming to know me accompanied with a link. Because this is all a similiar theme its got to be the same spammer. But he's trying to get clever by using a different domain and email address everytime so the spam filter wont pick it up the next time. Ive probably got a 100 addresses and some domains in my spammers list. I use thunderbird and the bitdefender tool. Is there a way to pick up the original domain so the spammer can get blocked more efficiently? I do have the setting turned on that submits samples automatically I dont know if that helps any for future updates? Thanks in advance

Comments

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    edited April 2012

Hi Greg :)

Interesting discovery. You are talking about the local part of the email address(the user before @), no?

Have a great weekend!

• I have the same problem here. Every day i get messages with (variations on) the header: "Gefeliciteerd, 150 euro toegevoegd aan uw account". The sender is Klantenservice@.........com. The domain name differs. Because of this it has no effect to mark these messages as spam. Do you have any suggestions what to do?

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭

Hello :)

I did post a feature request on your behalf. Our developers are currently evaluating all the possibilities!

Thank you very much.

• Hi Greg :)

Interesting discovery. You are talking about the local part of the email address(the user before @), no?

Have a great weekend!

hi christian

No its different email addresses and different domains and different user names. they use yahoo, hotmail you name it, but it definately is the same organisation/individual because of the theme of these emails. Ive even tried an IP trace on the emails but no luck.. Ive even gone as far as to block the yahoo domain(they use others as well but that one seems the most popular, but even those are still coming through. And ive literally added pages of spammers on my spam list. Maybe there could be another option you guys can think of to further filter out spam like keywords or something in future updates? ive even than an analyses of the sender details in my email client, they seem to be using fake domains or email addresses to make it more difficult to trace, I doont know if one can edit that?

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    edited April 2012

Hi :)

Thank you for the feedback.

I will post all these as and additional document to the initial request.

Take care.

• Hi :)

Thank you for the feedback.

I will post all these as and additional document to the initial request.

Take care.

I have another problem which has developed. When I click the "is spam' button on the toolbar, it does nothing. However all the other buttons do work. Also when the spam comes through bit defender, it goes to my inbox, instead of the spam folder. I think the problem here is that it does not recognise that I have a spam folder for Thunderbird 12.0.1

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭

Hi Greg :)

We have an known issue with the toolbar, you have all the details in this topic.

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=31250

We are working hard to solve it ASAP.

Thank you in advance for understanding!

• I have this problem with spammers right? Every day I get 20 emails with a link to a video of a girl undressing herself or someone claiming to know me accompanied with a link. Because this is all a similiar theme its got to be the same spammer. But he's trying to get clever by using a different domain and email address everytime so the spam filter wont pick it up the next time. Ive probably got a 100 addresses and some domains in my spammers list. I use thunderbird and the bitdefender tool. Is there a way to pick up the original domain so the spammer can get blocked more efficiently? I do have the setting turned on that submits samples automatically I dont know if that helps any for future updates? Thanks in advance

I also encountered this problem.