Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Ransomware Protection

Hi,

I asked the Bitdefender Support whether Free Antivirus features Ransomware protection too, but support denied it.

It's weird because I thought both products share the same engine.

I'd like to ask to add ransomware protection to free Antivirus.

Cheers

Comments

• "Share the same engine" is an oversimplification. The "Bitdefender engine" as cited in popular discussions is the BD Core file scanner and B-Have heuristic modules. Free includes those and Active Virus Control, a subset of an IDS (intrusion detection system) and full access to BD's cloud scanning and filtering. Their premium products provide additional layers and greater access to settings.

Sidenote: the multitude of the third party "free Bitdefender engine" products have only the scanner and heuristics.

If you want BD's Ransomware Protection, you'll just have to pay for it. Too bad.

Otherwise, I suggest Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit. It's free and runs just great with BD Free.

You don't mention what Windows OS you use. BD Free is not compatible with 10.

• Thanks for the explanation.

I use BitDefender on two devices.

One device (my desktop computer) is running a paid version of BitDefender with Windows 10.

My other device (Laptop) is running the free version of BitDefender, but also with Windows 10.

After installation of the free version on my laptop, I downloaded the EICAR test virus and Free Bitdefender detected it without problems.

Therefore I did not notice any incorrect behavior with Windows 10 and the free Version. Only Windows Defender sometimes keeps poping up, but since service is deactivated, that is no problem for me.

When I was just checking some other posts about the lack of Windows 10 support, most people complained about the website not stating that Windows 10 is support but I could not find anyone who had a problem.

I prefer to run the Free Version on my laptop because it feels to be just so more light weight (it's not the fastest laptop),

since the paid software comes with so many modules like tuning stuff or mail scanner (and complains about turning anything off) which I do not need and I do not use (e.g. I use online services for mails, chrome is already checking if websites are hazardous, ...)

• When I was just checking some other posts about the lack of Windows 10 support, most people complained about the website not stating that Windows 10 is support but I could not find anyone who had a problem.

When you try to download the free version there is a pop-up that states it is not compatible with Windows 10.

post-175392-0-74200300-1458812362_thumb.jpg

• Oh, I never read the text since I thought it was just advertisement.

Thanks for the heaps up!