Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Gzquar Quarantine: Please, Help Me!

Options

Over a month ago, I had a number of files (1,780) on my flash drive labeled as "gzquar". I immediately opened Bit Defender, clicked on the restore button, only to find out that the files would not restore. I then combed the internet and Bit Defender forums looking for answers. Instead of answers, I found out that people have been having problems with the restore function not working going back to 2010 and earlier; thus, leaving me with more questions. My next step was to contact their customer support via chat. It does not work. I then called and spoke with customer service, explained the issue, and they told me they would fix the issue within 24 hours. After 24 hours, they sent me a link to a third party website talking about how to use the restore button. Seriously?

I contacted customer support again, explained the issue again and was told that I needed to rename the files. That did not work. I contacted customer support once again, explained the issue again and was told that their first line of engineers could not fix the problem and the issue would be elevated to their "senior" engineers. Next, I received an email asking for me to send all of the log files so that they could be examined. I then received another email saying that I only sent the log files (that's what they wanted) and that I needed to send the actual files renamed gzquar. I sent the files and for over a week received emails that they were working hard to fix my issue and I was a priority case. Mind you, this company is based in Romania and any critical documents, such as my work files, can make one pretty nervous with a foreign tech combing through protected client information. Bit Defender notified me that in order to release the files from quarantine, they needed the actual files so that they could put them into analysis and release the non virus files back to me. Okay, troublesome that I can't do it myself but I sent the files over and crossed my fingers.

A period of time passed and I heard nothing. Then they went to ignoring my email inquiries. Then they went to giving me the run around when I called, such as, we'll get back to you within 4 hours. They never did. Then, we'll get back to you within 8 hours. They never did. Then, we'll take down your number and a senior engineer MAY call you about resolving the problem. They never did. FINALLY, I received an email this morning telling me to, wait for it......rename the files. Are you ###### kidding me? In the whole time they claimed my files were in analysis to be released from quarantine, they were actually analyzing ######. Instead, I receive an email telling me to rename the file, which again, does NOT do anything except give a message stating the file is either damaged or corrupt. To top it off, how in the ###### can one rename the file to its original name when the file could have been a doc.x and not a pdf. or vice versa or a jpg instead of a png or vice versa. Not to mention over 1,000 of my files were renamed to something I don't know what the ###### is it. No document name, nothing.

Again, after Googling and reading the forums here, I have found that this issue has been persistent since 2010, maybe even earlier. There has been zero resolve to this issue in the five years it's been screwing users. If anyone has a solution I'd love to hear from then because I am at my wits end here.

Comments

• ayrehead
    Options

I had the same problem with one file getting quarantined. I tried many ways to restore the file so i could use it, but nothing worked. Apparently the permissions on the file are set in a special way to prevent access. The good way to solve the problem would be to change the permissions, but in this case it would take a guru but i am anot a guru. So i came up with this work-around to solve the problem. This assumes that the quarantined files do not really have a virus.

Turn off BitDefender.
    Use backup software to backup the partition where the file(s) are. I use Disc Wizard software from Seagate, or you could use Acronis.
    Use Windows Explorer to access the backup and find the file(s).
    Right click on the quarantined file(s), and copy.
    Paste file(s) into another directory.
    Rename file(s) to what you want.
    You should be able to use the files normally.

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi,

I declare this topic closed since the issue reported by LawGuy007 was solved 1 year ago in ticket number 2015041620060002.

The stick was no longer infected and all the files quarantined by Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition were successfully restored. All the files from the USB stick were still there, but they were hidden. Enabling "Show hidden files and folders" in Windows addressed the situation.

We recommend our users to immunize their USB sticks with Bitdefender immunizer. This will prevent other similar malware from creating this trouble:

http://labs.bitdefender.com/projects/usb-immunizer/overview/

Thank you!

This discussion has been closed.