Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bitdefender Free Version Missed Virus Caught By Bitdefender Paid Version!

Options

Can any one explain this to me:

i have a test virus at my pc , when i used the free bitdefender version to scan the virus , it tells me no threats detected, when i used bitdefender antivirus plus 2015 , it found the virus !!!!!

N.B : both free and paid versions are up to date

does this mean that the free version uses another engine than the paid versions?

Comments

• lapka
    Options

Run a test virus and ensure that the BAFE uses not only the signature-based virus detection.

• Run a test virus and ensure that the BAFE uses not only the signature-based virus detection.

can you please tell me how ?

• lapka
    Options

can you please tell me how ?

What is a test virus you mean? EICAR-test? If so, problems in detection can't see.

If not him, then give a link to this sample.

• goldenman
    edited May 2016
    Options

What is a test virus you mean? EICAR-test? If so, problems in detection can't see.

If not him, then give a link to this sample.

It is not eicar test, it is another real spyware program i keep it uninstalled in my pc .

it is old pc monitoring spyware called goldeneye , you know this program?

it is detected by the paid version but missed by the free version.

• lapka
    Options

it is detected by the paid version but missed by the free version.

Well, it happens. No wonder there are paid versions, should they be different from the free versions and not just having more functionality. My opinion is that the free version can only be used by experienced users who follow the rules of computer security.

• Well, it happens. No wonder there are paid versions, should they be different from the free versions and not just having more functionality. My opinion is that the free version can only be used by experienced users who follow the rules of computer security.

can any of bitdefender support team explain how this happen ???

if so , I can not trust the free version any more because it has a false negative results.

• Sorin G.
    Sorin G.
    edited May 2016
    Options

Both of the products use the same virus signature database, the paid version however has more detection engines than the Free Version.

The Free Version is lacking the Active Threat Control and the Intrusion Detection modules that play a important role in picking up infections the usual Scan method misses.

• goldenman
    edited May 2016
    Options

Both of the products use the same virus signature database, the paid version however has more detection engines than the Free Version.

The Free Version is lacking the Active Threat Control and the Intrusion Detection modules that play a important role in picking up infections the usual Scan method misses.

Thank you for your explanation

• Rampant
    Rampant ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Options

I know that the free version has a module of proactive protection (AVC).

Proactive technology, it is not signature-based protection method that takes place, and the free version bitdefender products.

This discussion has been closed.