Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Old Problem From 2014 With Bandwidth And Firewall

Options

Back in 2014 BD Internet Security there was an issue with watching multiple flash videos. Your network connection

would go nuts, using 80% of your bandwidth, even after you had closed all of the videos. The topic had over 130 posts

and it included a workaround but BD finally put an update in that resolved it.

It's back. At the time, BD said to get around the issue, you had to change the Firewall settings to "Home/Office",

Stealth Mode "Off" and generic "Yes" and then go and turn off Intrusion Detection, then reboot. I just installed 2016

Total Security the other day and I'm having the problem again. The generic options are now On and Off so I'm not

sure if the "yes" required previously is now "on". I'll have to try it and see if it does the trick.

I guess I would much prefer BD to fix it again.

Here's the old topic for reference...

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=46323

Comments

• ntvolli
    edited January 2016
    Options

It' s not a issue with the firewall, but with the vsserv.exe. See Here:

forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=68152

• It' s not a issue with the firewall, but with the vsserv.exe. See Here:

forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=68152

While I do see another post about the same issue, I don't see anything in it that says (from BD support) that it's a fault of

VSSERV.EXE. Read the topic I referred to and see that it is the same issue and that it was resolved. I remember going

through the same TCPVIEW and FIN_WAIT2 stuff and the workaround (given to me by BD support) solved the problem.

They then fixed it. Maybe it was in VSSERV but the workaround fixed the problem but BD features had to be disabled for that

to happen. I'm trying to point out to BD support that it was a previous issue that they resolved and when it was resolved.

It may have been in VSSERV because I remember that I turned off the Firewall and used the Windows firewall but it

it still happened until I made those setting changes. I actually reverted to a version of BD without the firewall until the

problem was resolved. Is there an intrusion detection in the AV package? I'm using Total Security.

• All that i can say is, that the issue even appears in the av- plus. So i think that this issue is caused by the vsserv.exe, which is the heart oft the on- access and http-scanner. It seems that the vsserv.exe Grays to scan the stream and traffic, even when the connection has Bern refused.

• Liquid89
    edited April 2016
    Options

Have someone still this Problem?

• TheNit
    Options

I just found the reason for the problem, at least in my case, after dealing with BD support.

It is because I have a router with a hardware firewall. After many attempts at finding a reason, for some reason I was checking my router and found out I have a hardware firewall (Gateway 2Wire). I thought I would try turning it off but what I did (thinking that I had turned it off) was to uncheck the settings "Stealth Mode" and "Block Ping" which I now know is a more robust setting for the hardware firewall. Once I had changed those settings the problem went away completely.

As far it happening in AV Plus as well there is something that someone with that package could check. Go into the Bitdefender 2016 folder and look for a file called BDTL.DLL. BD support tells me that this is kind of like a "traffic cop" and I believe it does the FIN_WAIT_2 stuff. Before I found the hardware firewall issue they had me rename it to BDTL.DL_ (in safe mode), reboot and the problem went away. I didn't see any FIN_WAIT_2's while this file was renamed. Seeing that this is a module that monitors HTTP traffic, I don't think that it is part of the software firewall so it could exist in non-firewall BD versions. I was originally just going to leave the file renamed until I my license expired but then I found the hardware firewall problem.

I need to check out a bit more about what these router firewall settings mean. I think that it may be only the Stealth Mode that has to be unchecked so I need to try with the Block Ping checked. I'll let you know later about this.

Would anyone who has this problem while using AV Plus (any non-firewall product) test this out and update this thread?

• Have someone still this Problem?

Have still the Problem with Bitdefender AV2016.

When you go to Streamsites like Youtube/Radio-Streams and close the Tabs/Browser a get a lot of FIN_WAIT_2 on the TCP-Viewer!

Greetings from Vienna,

Liquid

• TheNit
    Options

An update that I should have made a while ago...

My Hardware Firewall "solution" was not the case after all. The next time I tried it with the routers firewall settings I mentioned, I started getting FIN_WAIT_2's again. I pointed this out to Bitdefender's support team and they still argue that it is the hardware firewall and will not do nothing unless I remove the hardware firewall. What a bunch of BS. They won't admit there is a problem and are looking for any excuse to point fingers in another direction. I also found out it wasn't just happening with flash videos. I have a Garmin GPS and wanted to download a map update from Garmin. I counted 13 FIN_WAIT_2's in TCPVIEW while this was happening.

I have done what BD support suggested in trying to find out the culprit and that was to rename BDDT.DLL to BDTL.DL_ (in Bitdefender 2016 folder) while in Safe Mode. I do not get FIN_WAIT_2's any longer. Funny that they previously had determined that BDTL.DLL (traffic cop) was the problem (as a result of my renaming it) but when I pointed out that I had a hardware firewall they quickly stopped looking at the problem, blaming it on the hardware firewall. They said to look at the EULA about other firewalls on the system but it only mentions software firewalls (such as Norton, etc.)

I have purchased Kaspersky Internet and will be off BD when my license expires. BD doesn't care about their users.

• An update that I should have made a while ago...

My Hardware Firewall "solution" was not the case after all. The next time I tried it with the routers firewall settings I mentioned, I started getting FIN_WAIT_2's again. I pointed this out to Bitdefender's support team and they still argue that it is the hardware firewall and will not do nothing unless I remove the hardware firewall. What a bunch of BS. They won't admit there is a problem and are looking for any excuse to point fingers in another direction. I also found out it wasn't just happening with flash videos. I have a Garmin GPS and wanted to download a map update from Garmin. I counted 13 FIN_WAIT_2's in TCPVIEW while this was happening.

I have done what BD support suggested in trying to find out the culprit and that was to rename BDDT.DLL to BDTL.DL_ (in Bitdefender 2016 folder) while in Safe Mode. I do not get FIN_WAIT_2's any longer. Funny that they previously had determined that BDTL.DLL (traffic cop) was the problem (as a result of my renaming it) but when I pointed out that I had a hardware firewall they quickly stopped looking at the problem, blaming it on the hardware firewall. They said to look at the EULA about other firewalls on the system but it only mentions software firewalls (such as Norton, etc.)

I have purchased Kaspersky Internet and will be off BD when my license expires. BD doesn't care about their users.

Thanks for the Inforamation. But thats not a Solutions for me. I want from Bitdefender a Update to this Issue.

In the French Forum there is a Post with this Problem and there is a answer from bitdefender. Hope they find the Problem.

• TheNit
    Options

Liquid89 - I agree this not a solution, that is why I'm going to Kaspersky. My license runs out in 2 weeks and BD basically said, sorry to see you go. The problem with the renaming of BDDT.DLL is that you also have to change the update mechanism for BD so that it asks if you want to do an update and you have to keep declining the software update, otherwise the file is restored. I tried this again today with flash videos and found that it is probably better to not rename the .DLL file. After I restored the original file, I just had TCPVIEW (Sysinternals software) and when I saw multiple occurrences of FIN_WAIT_2, I would just right click them and "disconnect" them. D/L speed noticeably improved when I did this. When I did the renaming thing, I believe the connections were sitting in some other state which slowed the system but I didn't know which one's to disconnect to improve the bandwidth.

Anyways, BD have put out a bunch of suggestions of turning off certain features to help with the problem (Intrusion Detection?) but they don't seem to think that turning off the protection features that we are paying for is a problem. As I said, I'm not happy with the various "workarounds" and cannot understand why they can't resolve the problem (they did in previous versions) so after years of being a loyal customer, I'm packing it in. I worked with them for a couple of months (created a ticket) and it resolved nothing other than them saying it's not their problem.