[Sent To Devel] Rescue Cd Upgrade And Wifi Support

Harmonica Bert
edited February 2022 in The Archive

Hello!

First; I'm sorry for my poor English (I'm from Italy)

Second: sorry for posting a question here, but I couldn't fine Rescue CD in the support section options.

Ok, go on! :)

I'm a fan of Bitdefender rescue CD: it helped me to restore customers PCs several times. It's very effective, so it's always my first choice if I have to unlock a virus locked PC that won't boot.

Well, I have a couple of questions, if somebody can help me:

1) Do you think a new version will be released in 2016 or 2017? The 2015 is good and the kernel is recent, but I wonder if you are planning to keep on releasing new versions once a year or every two years or something like this. I'm not talking about virus definition updates: it's very fast...

2) I noticed that on some (few) PCs there's no way to use wifi connection, so I have to use the cable. My HP Pavilion, for example, can't use the wifi at all; my ASUS eepc can :wacko:

If it can help you, when I installed Debian on my PC, at the beginning of installation, the system ask me for additional drivers to use wifi. So I have to use another PC, download them, out them on a USB stick and plug the stick on the first computer in order to make the wifi work and finish the installation. If I install Ubuntu or Mint (also other distros like Manjaro) it seems they already have these drivers because wifi works out of the box...

Is there a way to add drivers to Bitdefender Rescue ISO using an ISO editor?

My terminal gives me the following output:

bert@bert:~$ sudo lshw -C network
[sudo] password for bert:
*-network
description: Network controller
product: BCM43225 802.11b/g/n
vendor: Broadcom Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
version: 01
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=bcma-pci-bridge latency=0
resources: irq:16 memory:da100000-da103fff
*-network
description: Ethernet interface
product: RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
logical name: eth0
version: 03
serial: c8:0a:a9:18:42:ba
size: 10Mbit/s
capacity: 1Gbit/s
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix vpd bus_master cap_list rom ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=r8169 driverversion=2.3LK-NAPI duplex=half firmware=rtl_nic/rtl8168d-2.fw latency=0 link=no multicast=yes port=MII speed=10Mbit/s
resources: irq:41 ioport:4000(size=256) memory:d4104000-d4104fff memory:d4100000-d4103fff memory:d9100000-d910ffff
*-network
description: Wireless interface
physical id: 1
logical name: wlan0
serial: c4:17:fe:48:6f:ed
capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=brcmsmac driverversion=3.16.0-4-amd64 firmware=610.812 ip=192.168.1.66 link=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bgn

In fact Bitdefender is not the only rescue live CD (I mean Linux based, not WinPE because they have issues most of the times, no matter the hardware your PC) that has wifi issues with my hardware, but if I could solve this problem it would be great.

Oh, I forget to ask you something about virus definitions: when I make a USB and update it it looks like it's persistent, because when I update it after one or two days there are very few updates and it's very very fast... And I can see the more I update, the larger rescue folder inside the USB stick is. Am I wrong?

Ok, forgive me for this long and verbose post... :D

Thank you in advance!

Regards,

Bert

Comments

• Hello Bert,

1. We're working on creating a new version but we do not have an ETA at this time
    2. Thank you for your feedback. I will forward it to our development team in order to include the most recent internet drivers.
    3. If you write the rescue CD to an USB stick then it is persistent.

• Hello!

Thank you for your quick and clear answer!

Regards,

Bert