Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Uninstalled Bitdefender Internet Security 2008

Options

Hi

I uninstalled Bitdefender Internet Security 2008.

This Bitdefender uninstall icon in Programs did not complete normally.

I therefore ran the uninstall tool, which appeared to complete the uninstall process.

A search of the registry for "Bitdefender" revealed around 1100 entries that had not been removed by the uninstall process.

I ran a registry search and delete program which removed all except the entries in the attachment.

My queries are:

If I am the administrator, why do I have no rights to remove the entries ?

If I were able to remove these entries, would there be any undesired consequences ?

(E.g. unstable affect on operating system, or on the computer, or any other reported or known issues ?)

If it OK to delete these entries, then how is this done if insufficient permissions exist to the administrator ?

I use a Pentium 4 with 1Gb Ram, Windows XP S/P2.

Thanks in advance for your replies ...

:blink:

post-8985-1208679947_thumb.jpg

Comments

• derekp
    Options

Bump ????

:wacko:

• Niels
    Options

Hello shot-bowl,

Did you first right clicked on the red BitDefender icon near the system clock and pressed on exit? You really need to do otherwise the BitDefender selfprotection service can cause conflicts so certain registry keys can't be uninstalled. What registry cleaner did you used? Some tools are too aggressive.

Press the windows button together r now type devmgmt.msc press enter. Go to view/display menu select show/display hidden devices,now expand the section non plug and play compatible drivers see if you still can find entries called:

bdftdif

BDSelfPr

Profos

Trufos

If present right click on each of them and press on uninstall choose no when asked to reboot. Choose yes when you are by the latest entry now reboot your pc.

Best regards

Niels

• derekp
    edited April 2008
    Options
    Hello shot-bowl,

Did you first right clicked on the red BitDefender icon near the system clock and pressed on exit? You really need to do otherwise the BitDefender selfprotection service can cause conflicts so certain registry keys can't be uninstalled. What registry cleaner did you used? Some tools are too aggressive.

Press the windows button together r now type devmgmt.msc press enter. Go to view/display menu select show/display hidden devices,now expand the section non plug and play compatible drivers see if you still can find entries called:

bdftdif

BDSelfPr

Profos

Trufos

If present right click on each of them and press on uninstall choose no when asked to reboot. Choose yes when you are by the latest entry now reboot your pc.

Best regards

Niels

Hi Niels

Thank you very much for your detailed reply.

I did exactly as you suggested, but NONE of the entries, you mentioned, existed.

So I just exited.

The registry cleaner is Registry First Aid.

Do you have anyother suggestions ?

Many thanks.

:rolleyes:

• Niels
    Options

Hello shot-bowl,

I've tried the registry cleaner you are using and I must say that this isn't a registry cleaner for beginners. You can can damage your registry when you let this tool fix everything. I would advise that you let this registry scanners run these are safe to use in other words they aren't that aggressive. Both are freeware.

ccleaner Do not forget to uncheck yahoo toolbar during installation. Or Glary Utilities Registry Repair.

Best regards

Niels

• derekp
    Options
    Hello shot-bowl,

I've tried the registry cleaner you are using and I must say that this isn't a registry cleaner for beginners. You can can damage your registry when you let this tool fix everything. I would advise that you let this registry scanners run these are safe to use in other words they aren't that aggressive. Both are freeware.

ccleaner Do not forget to uncheck yahoo toolbar during installation. Or Glary Utilities Registry Repair.

Best regards

Niels

Hi Niels

Thank you for your reply.

Your words of caution are very well placed.

Registry First Aid needs to be used with care.

I never just let it clean the registry automatically.

I very carefully read the cleanup suggestions, and cleanup what I believe is safe.

I have now dealt with my original problem - so all is good.

Thank you for your replies - I appreciate them.

:D

• Niels
    Options

Hello shot-bowl,

That is very good that you never let registry cleaners clean everything they found. That is more case for the aggressive registry cleaners which can cause malfunction of software or windows.

Glad that I could help you. You are welcome. Also good to hear that everything is working now.

Best regards

Niels