Constant demands to restart system

Has anyone else noticed that BD Internet Security 2017 is demanding a reboot to install an update just about every day -- instead of once every few months?  That's been happening on both of my computers, one running Windows 7 and the other running Windows 8.

Comments

• Hello,

Please go to Events, click on the update at hand and restart the machine using the button there.

Let me know if the issue persists afterwards.

• Thanks for your reply.  But how does restarting the computer solve the problem of continuous (and presumably erroneous) demands to restart the computer?

• Hello,

This one restart should properly flag your updates status and stop the "nagging".

• Worth a try.  Thanks.  But -- sorry -- where is "events"?

• Hello,

Lower left side of the interface, it has a BELL for a icon.

• Ah - "Notifications."  Got it.  Thanks.

• Since upgrading to BD Total Security 2017 I have had this problem of regular prompts to restart. These are really annoying and they are not satisfied by shutting down my Windows 10 PC at the end of the day, then starting it up the following day. As soon as it starts up, I get another prompt.

The earlier suggested solution of  'Please go to Events, click on the update at hand and restart the machine using the button there' is really not satisfactory. This constant prompting is disruptive and I am not in a position to restart my system whenever it happens. The switch off and switch on process should be the equivalent of a restart - it is with every other piece of software that I use - and BD should be happy to wait until that has happened.

BD is advertised as working quietly in the background, but it is not.

Please treat this as a bug and resolve it - I have just renewed my subscription, but this is driving me mad and I am beginning to regret that decision.

• Hello,

Im having the exact same problem since installing AV Plus 2017 instead of 2016.

Please fix this, these notifications are getting on my nerves.

• I am also having this problem and almost on a daily basis. I did the Events and clicked on the update and restarted. This made the problem go away for a few days but it is back again. I agree with others that have posted. It is not acceptable to have to got to Events and restart using that method on even a weekly basis.

• Hello,

A small patch has been released to address such issues, that is the reason you are seeing the restart prompt.

Please run a update using the button on the main interface afterwards go to Notifications and click on the Restart Now button present on the Update Event.

• MusicFreak
    edited November 2016

2016 version never had this problem and 2017 does STILL keeps asking for a system restart to replace system files.

Just did the update and all like above but still keeps poping up that it needs a restart. Its almost better to turn of the update because its getting very Irritating. And im still mildly talking.

• having the same issues,  how annoying is this.  you start your laptp up for a days work and a few mins in it's asking you to restart and even if you say later it pops up again,  fix it!!

• Still happening here every week! Annoying to say the least. Thankfully I only upgraded one PC. Anybody know if I can uninstall and reinstall 2106 version?

On a single positive note, the new main screen is easier to navigate.

• I am also getting the "Restart your computer" popups, even when I have just booted up my PC.   This has been going on for about 2 weeks and now I'm here on this forum posting, hoping to find out that a fix is in the works.  I install Bitdefender on PC that I service and don't want my customers calling me about this all day.   Please report this issue to the appropriate coders to fix this problem.  I have tried all the above fixes and they did not work.

• ptous
    edited November 2016

I am using BDIS on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1.

I'm with many other posters. This prompt is not well-behaved. and it doesn't seem that the folks who respond here actually understand what the options in question do in practice (as opposed, perhaps, to what is documented.)

There are multiple issues, some of which are clearly by design.

• "Postpone Reboot" option does not prevent this prompt. All it does is prevent BD from immediately asking to reboot after an update that requires it is installed. When "Postpone Reboot" is enabled, DB does indeed postpone the needed reboot, but then sets about periodically reminding us about the need to reboot from that point onward. The product has acted like this since at least BDIS 2015, still does it in BDIS 2016. and judging from posts here, it is still the same in 2017 as well.

• The popup window for the reboot prompt grabs focus, and the "Reboot Now" button on it has default focus, This means that if you are typing and hit space or enter as the window pops up, you immediately cause a reboot. This is positively awful behavior for a reboot prompt.

The nagging itself does not irritate me excessively. I'd prefer it didn't nag so often when I've explicitly chosen to defer a reboot, but by itself I wouldn't give it much thought. It's the combination of the regular, unavoidable nagging with the default focus. I have suffered loss of work and/or the interruption of on-line gaming three times in the last month because of this behavior. If you want it to pester us to reboot, that's fine, but there are other ways to nag for the reboot than with a focus-stealing window that defaults to "reboot" when you hit frequently-used keys.

Ideally, the prompt window should not steal focus. If it must, then the reboot button on it should not have focus. (If one must have default focus, it should be the "Later" button.) I would much prefer a Windows tray notification bubble, which has none of these issues.

As an antivirus product, I like yours better than many of the current alternatives on the market. However, I'm getting extremely tired of the disruption I experience due to this reboot nag behavior. I am also quite disappointed at what I see in regards to how user feedback for it has been handled on these forums for multiple years. If there's no indication from your developers / engineers (not Level 1 support staff) that it's going to improve, I'm not going to renew the product once my license lapses.

• I have BD Total Security 2017 and love it, and yes, I have the same problem with that "Reboot Required".

When I click on "View details" I cannot see any specific updates.

I've cleared all the event/notification messages, but the "issue" still remains the same.

Anyway, I just stopped paying attention to that "Reboot" if there is nothing in the "View details" window.

BD-1.PNG

BD-2.PNG

• On 11/11/2016 at 7:11 PM, Sorin G. said:

Hello,

A small patch has been released to address such issues, that is the reason you are seeing the restart prompt.

Please run a update using the button on the main interface afterwards go to Notifications and click on the Restart Now button present on the Update Event.

Restart prompt still continues to show even after running the update and restarting.  Is there a fix coming for this? 

• 15 hours ago, Thoia said:

Restart prompt still continues to show even after running the update and restarting.  Is there a fix coming for this? 

Hi,

Make sure you have the latest version of Bitdefender product, second if the problem persist you can try to repair product in Control Panel --> Programs and Features.

I`m using Windows 8.1 Pro x64 and I never had this problem before.

ver.png

• As the O.P. on this thread, I was beginning to think the problem was solved with the last revision of BIS.  Since updating, I haven't been nagged to restart . . .until today.  Not sure, though, whether this time there really is a new update that requires restarting.  Is there a page somewhere on the BD website that lists the latest updates and tags those that require a restart?

• Hello,

It's actually a new update. Build 21.0.22.1050

The issue reported in this thread has been fixed in the previous update.

• Thanks.  And this new build really does require a restart?

Going forward, it would be helpful to be able to check on updates somewhere on the site without having to ask in the forum.  Is that information available?

• Hello,

Yes, all build updates require a restart. Small updates go unnoticed.

On this section there are 2 pinned threads, one for the latest changelog and the other for past changelogs.

/index.php?/topic/74181-latest-changelog/&do=embed">

• Thanks.  The latest changelog wasn't posted at the time users were prompted to restart.

• Thank you, Bitdefender, the issue has been fixed.

• On 12/9/2016 at 5:28 PM, Bleb Nevus said:

Thanks.  The latest changelog wasn't posted at the time users were prompted to restart.

I usually post the changelog on the day of the release, however due to other more important tasks the changelog got delayed.

• Once again, I'm being told there's a new update that requires restarting my system.  Is this one for real?

• Hello,

Yes, it was a quick fix it does not change the build number.

• After the last update to 21.0.23.1101 I'm having the same problem. BIS keeps asking me to reboot. I already did four or five times.

2017-01-19_20-37-41.png

Bitdefender Internet Security 2016 21.0.23.1101

2017-01-19_20-39-44.png

Windows 10 PRO 1607 x64 14393.693

• Hello,

Please go to Central and download the Agent like you would for a fresh install and run it. It will refresh just the Agent install and not the whole product.

Afterwards you should no longer encounter this issue.

• AZMoosie
    edited April 2017

If Bitdefender has a solution to one of the most annoying things most of us face each day/week, why the heck [my word was removed!] don't you just fix it instead of suggesting workarounds?  This has been going on for a very long time.  Just fix it and stop nagging your customers to reboot all the time.  It is darn [my word was removed] annoying.

• I was the original poster here last year, and there are now a couple of other threads on this same topic -- even though someone authoritatively assured us awhile back that one of the umpteen updates had taken care of the problem.  In the last few weeks alone, I've been prompted to restart my system at least four times.  Can there really be this many major updates that require restarting? 

It's particularly annoying since (a) changelogs are posted only irregularly (so there's usually nowhere to check whether a given prompt to restart is for real), and (b) for some reason Bitdefender doesn't recognize a system-wide reboot (or a cold start) as a restart for its purposes; unless one restarts through Bitdefender's own notification, it continues to bug the user to restart.

Is there anyone at the company reading these forums who can address this long-standing annoyance once and for all?

• Hello,

As mentioned previously and in other threads. Ensuring you have the latest Agent fixes the reported issue.

EFX and build updates will always ask for a reboot to be able to apply the update.

If by any chance you are still encountering this issue, even after following the steps to install the latest Agent over the old one, I would suggest doing a fresh reinstall. Strongly advised to use the uninstall tool to clean the machine. http://www.bitdefender.com/uninstall

This discussion has been closed.