Difference between BD Free (old) and new BD Free BETA ? Where to get old one

I've always downloaded Bit Defender Free (I've that one installed on my computer. version 1.0.21.1109) and it's the best &lightest antivirus I've used. Almost unnoticeable. Lacks of customization and options, but it's perfect for me.

Now I cannot download it anymore because the "new beta (???)" is available.

1) Where to get the old good Bit Defender Free (not beta!)

2)  What are the differences between the old Bit Defender Free and this new beta? Not talking about the GUI, but the motor, the detection, the work method

Thanks in advance.

Sin título.png

Comments

• 6 hours ago, Leeam said:

I've always downloaded Bit Defender Free (I've that one installed on my computer. version 1.0.21.1109) and it's the best &lightest antivirus I've used. Almost unnoticeable. Lacks of customization and options, but it's perfect for me.

Now I cannot download it anymore because the "new beta (???)" is available.

1) Where to get the old good Bit Defender Free (not beta!)

2)  What are the differences between the old Bit Defender Free and this new beta? Not talking about the GUI, but the motor, the detection, the work method

Thanks in advance.

Sin título.png

Totally agree. The new version is terrible.

• The new version is fine. It just needs the ability to do quick scans on demand. I always turn off auto scans in any AV product because I don't think they're necessary. The biggest difference between the versions is also the biggest reason why there is a new version. The old one was not fully compatible with Windows 10 and was unreliable even though it seemed to be working fine. (The web protection didn't work at all in Win10). They decided to make a new version instead of trying to fix the old one and the new one is fully compatible with Win10.

• On 11/4/2016 at 5:57 PM, dch48 said:

The new version is fine. It just needs the ability to do quick scans on demand. I always turn off auto scans in any AV product because I don't think they're necessary. The biggest difference between the versions is also the biggest reason why there is a new version. The old one was not fully compatible with Windows 10 and was unreliable even though it seemed to be working fine. (The web protection didn't work at all in Win10). They decided to make a new version instead of trying to fix the old one and the new one is fully compatible with Win10.

But what about the performance? I've installed the new beta and the performance seemed to be drastically impacted. The old one was almost unnoticeable

• gisot
    edited November 2016

You just have to select either 32bit or 64 bit version for your pc.

• Hello,

The old version is no longer available.

• On 11/7/2016 at 2:23 PM, Sorin G. said:

Hello,

The old version is no longer available.

I think it actually is. Two days ago I could install it using an old online installer I have. It downloaded the right (x64 /x86) installer and installed correctly. Please, don't quit the possibility to download the "deprecated" version until this new version works fine like the old one. It worked well even in Windows 10 (I can see online shield doesn't work on W10, but the antivir does). The only wrong thing about the old version is that it seems to have a memory leak: sometimes it uses more than 160MB of RAM on idle which is a lot. But apart from that, everything well. Hope you can make this new one even better than the better antivir I've found (Bit Def Free). And believe me, as an IT, I've tried a lot. This new one seems too much like Avira for me.

• dch48
    edited November 2016

No, the web shield was not the only problem with the older version. It's malware protection was unreliable with many false positives and missed detections in Windows 10. Bitdefender reps even posted that information. As I said, it seems to be working fine but actually is not. Windows Defender would be a better choice for Windows 10. 

Performance wise, I haven't noticed any performance degradation with the new version at all. I have it installed on an RCA tablet and it works fine. The only issue for me is an increase in startup time that doesn't always happen. It seems to come and go.

• On 11/9/2016 at 4:24 AM, dch48 said:

No, the web shield was not the only problem with the older version. It's malware protection was unreliable with many false positives and missed detections in Windows 10. Bitdefender reps even posted that information. As I said, it seems to be working fine but actually is not. Windows Defender would be a better choice for Windows 10. 

Performance wise, I haven't noticed any performance degradation with the new version at all. I have it installed on an RCA tablet and it works fine. The only issue for me is an increase in startup time that doesn't always happen. It seems to come and go.

Ok I'm testing this new beta to see how it goes. It still has a lot of problems, tho. But Win Defender is not an option, in my case, I can see the performance degradation on the system. This beta updated today, and after update it's unusable. I'm reinstalling. Seemed to be auto-updating again and again each hour, asking to reboot. But after rebooting, the antivir is not there anymore, and cannot run. Lot of things need to be addressed. I'll try to use it in my computer as a daily antivirus. Is there a site to report troubles with this beta?

• Hello,

Please use the Feedback button on the product itself or send a email to bitsy@bitdefender.com with the logs from the Bitdefender Support Tool.

http://www.bitdefender.com/support/How-to-generate-a-support-log--1168.html