Game Mode Always Active With Open Broadcaster Software

I installed Bitdefender Antivirus as a trial a few days ago. If Autopilot is active, Game Mode is active on my PC in error. I tracked it down to Open Broadcaster Software sitting idle in the background. If I close OBS, the mode is changed to Work or something else, and as soon as I restart OBS, it is changed back to Game Mode.

OBS is a screen recording/streaming application. It is often used to record/stream games, but it has itself nothing to do with gaming. As long as it is only sitting idle in the taskbar, it should not trigger Game Mode.

Website of OBS: https://obsproject.com/forum/

Usually installed in "C:\Program Files\OBS\OBS.exe"

Or the new multiplatform beta: "C:\Program Files\OBS Multiplatform\bin\64bit\obs64.exe"

Comments

• Rohugh
    Rohugh ✭✭

Hello,

To prevent this happening open the Bitdefender GUI, go to Tools>Profiles and uncheck the "Let Autopilot manage my profiles".

To get this sorted please send the details direct to Bitdefender either via email at bitsy.bitdefender.com or from the GUI>click the dropdown on the top bar>Help & Support>Contact support.

Thanks,

Ro.

• Bitdefender is likely detecting an application that it thinks is a game. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like there's a way to explicitly exclude applications, only to add to the profile. See if you can track down the application that's being detected and if you can live with it, exit and prevent it from running at startup (if applicable). The application at fault is probably some kind of overlay that fools bitdefender into thinking there's a full screen application running. For me, it was rainmeter. I disabled it and it works as expected now.

As an extra tip, I manually added C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\GameOverlayUI.exe to the games profile, to make sure it is activated whenever I start a game through Steam.

• crowda
    edited April 2017

This is happening to me again with some other application, I've tried closing almost everything and still the game profile remains active. They really need to allow us either a mode where the profile activates ONLY for the applications in our list (currently you can make a list but have to turn it on automatic anyway), or let us blacklist applications from being detected so that this kind of issue can be fixed. At the moment this functionality is almost unusable because of the constant incorrect profile selection.

Support staff, if you're reading this, PLEASE update the application to handle this better!

Edit: To clarify, what I'm saying is we shouldn't have to set profile selection to manual (i.e. I have to pick the profile every time) in order to solve this issue. There should be a mode where Bitdefender doesn't perform its own analysis of which profile to activate, but still automatically activates a profile when an application in the list is running.