Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Safari Extension Keeps Trying To Install

Options

Each time I start my Mac, Safari opens and asks if I want to install the Bitdefender Safari extension.

I have now uninstalled Bitdefender.

The extension request keeps coming up.

Even if I delete private/var/tmp/bitdefender.safariextz and the com.bitdefender.avp folder, they reappear when I reboot.

It is driving me mad.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

Hello :)

I will send you some instructions via PM in about 5 minutes.

Take care.

• Hello :)

Take care.

I'm having the same problem on OSX 10.5.8

• I'm having the same problem on OSX 10.5.8

I also have the same issue on Mountain Lion, can you please PM instructions?

Thanks,

Andy

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Andy :)

I have replied to your PM 2 minutes ago, please check your Inbox.

Take care.

• I am also having this problem. Could you tell me how to fix it?

I found this thread on Google, so maybe you should post the solution publicly on here so people can fix without having to sign up for an account.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

Hello Paul :)

We are currently investigating this so for now I will send a possible solution only via PM.

Do you have Firefox installed?

Take care.

• Nope, I'm just using Safari at the moment.

Thanks,

Paul

• Hi again,

Could you send me a PM with the instructions to fix please?

Thanks,

Paul

• Hi Christian,

I have the same difficulties.

Could you please send me some instructions to get rid of it ?

Thank you

Frederic (OSX 10.8.2, Safari 6.0.1)

• Hi Christian,

Just a reminder - could you send me a PM with instructions on how to fix?

Thanks,

Paul

• Hi Christian,

I'm still getting the issue every time I boot my Mac - any news on a fix?

Paul

• Hi Christian,

I'm still getting the issue every time I boot my Mac - any news on a fix?

Paul

Can I please get a fix as well? This is really quite annoying!

Wisar

• I'm having the same problem. I'm a Mac consultant and as soon as you have a solution I have a number of clients whom I'm recommending your product to.

Thanks,

CJFearn

• Same Problem here.

Would be nice to receive an instruction via PM

• 2de try.

Could you please post something to help us.

This is really annoying and we don't get any support on it.

Please help.

Many thanks in advance.

Frederic

• I would also like this fix, I have been searching for answers for some time now. I have also tried every std troubleshooting activity I can think of.

Cheers

• It's now almost one month since I originally asked for some help for this, but I've still not had a PM or anything.

Everytime I boot my Mac, it takes me to the same extension error page and it is incredibly frustrating. I purchased a bulk license for all our office Macs, but I can't install it on them until this is resolved.

Could you please post an update with the steps you are taking to fix this bug?

Paul

• Hello,

I have the same problem, a very annoying one obviously.

Could you send me some instructions to properly remove your product form my computer?!!!

Thank you

Mihai (OSX 10.8.2, Safari 6.0.1)

Take care.

I am also having same issues.. kindly PM the instructions as well.. Great thanks in advance..

• I am also having same issues.. kindly PM the instructions as well.. Great thanks in advance..

Same issues here. This is ridiculous. Please post resolution. Thanks

• I am having the same problem. Please send me the fix asap!

Thanks.

• Hey,

Is there a solution to this problem i have been dealing with it since early october and its driving me insane. Every time i boot my mac it ask me if i want to install bit defender no matter how many i times i say Don't Install it ask me again! Please can anyone help i've tried everything.

Thanks,

• Hello - I am having this problem too - can someone please send me instructions to fix this ?

thanks

Take care.

I am having the same problem:

Each time I start my Mac, Safari opens and asks if I want to install the Bitdefender Safari extension.

Can someone PM me the fix?

Thanks

John

• monjimbu
    edited February 2013
    Options

Hi, am experiencing the same issue. I would be very happy if anybody could PM the solution.

Am using Safari 6.0.2 with mountain lion 10.8.2

Thanks in advance.

Azwan

• rendon
    Options

I also have the same issue on Mountain Lion, can you please PM instructions?

Thanks,

• wheeljack
    Options

Hi all!

I got a bit miffed with this issue, and after trying to speak with Bitdefender Tech Support via online chat, I gave up and had a go at finding a proper fix myself.

This site (and others) along with BD tech support told me to delete the Bitdefender.safariextz file from /var/tmp or /private/var/tmp. Then the instructions state to click Fix in the Bitdefender Antiphishing section and that should fix it. IT DOES NOT. When speaking with BitDefender staff online, they told me NOT to click the fix button as the extension would just attempt to install again.

So I didn't. Rebooted Mac....and Safari came up again with the extension trying to install! I deleted the file again as instructed, then I decided to poke around and see what other files I could find for BitDefender.

In a folder located at /Library/Bitdefender/AVP, I found a bundle labelled antiphishing. I deleted that also. Then rebooted. FINALLY, no more Safari popping up.

Although this worked for me, your results may vary. I noticed since an update the bundle has returned, but Safari has not come up again asking to install the extension. Disappointingly however, the Safari extension included inside still does not work (at least on Mountain Lion). Does anyone with Bitdefender have it working fully? If so, what version of OS X/Safari are you using?

Note to Bitdefender: I was pleased initially with the PC and Android software, but a little disappointed with the Mac software. Not that the software doesn't work, obviously its only the Antiphishing plugin not working, but we are paying for this software and this issue still has not been resolved. The included Safari and Firefox extensions never get installed - this needs fixing. Other than that, your doing a great job.

Just to point out, the Bitdefender staff I spoke to were very helpful, professional and polite, so no issues there. :)

• rendon
    Options

Please send instructions how delete, OSX 10.8.2, Safari 6.0.1

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭
    Options

Hello all,

There are a few steps which might be helpful in this case, so I will post them below.

1)

-open Safari and go to "Preferences" then click on "Extensions";

- uninstall the Bitdefender extension if it is present

- close both Safari and Bitdefender

- open Bitdefender and click "Fix issue" under Antiphishing

- you will be prompted if you want to install the extension, click "install"

2)

If you had Firefox installed, there might be some traces of Firefox that are confusing the Bitdefender Antiphishing extension.

- open Finder > Library > Application Support and rename the Firefox folder, for example, instead of Firefox, write "Renamed_Firefox".

- try again the Antiphishing button to Fix this issue and if it is successful, you can remove the renamed folder.

I hope the above solutions work for you. :)

• I am also having same issues.. kindly PM the instructions as well.. Great thanks in advance..

Could you also send me the PM instructions for the same problem?

Thank you.

Andrew.

• Each time I start my Mac, Safari opens and asks if I want to install the Bitdefender Safari extension.

I have now uninstalled Bitdefender.

The extension request keeps coming up.

Even if I delete private/var/tmp/bitdefender.safariextz and the com.bitdefender.avp folder, they reappear when I reboot.

It is driving me mad.

Any suggestions?

Hi,

I have this exact same problem happening too. Everytime, I open Safari, Bitdefender tries to install an extension, but I have uninstalled the program.

Please help.

• I am having the same problem:

Can someone PM me the fix?

Thanks

John

Hi,

The exact same problem keeps happening to me too. Can you please PM me help?

Thanks!

• I am having the same issue.  I'd appreciate if you send me a PM.  I'm desperate.  I need to find a solution.

Thanks

• Okay so I am having the same problem, and I think its pretty messed up that I need to wait for secret messages on a public forum to fix the problem. 

Why not just give the answer right here?

This discussion has been closed.