Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

How To Make Bitdefender Ignore a Program

Options

This is probably rather unusual, but I keep a keylogger on my computer for text recovery and other purposes. Believe it or not, it has saved me quite a bit in the past, whether it's remembering the odd password, recovering a lost file, or rescuing typed text after a program crashes. 

I used AVG Free up until the other day when I thought I would try Bitdefender in order to run a simpler antivirus (and one that doesn't advertise to me on a daily basis, trying to trick me to upgrade). With AVG, I was able to ignore HomeKeylogger entirely and it ran without issue. But with Bitdefender, even after I've added the program to my Exceptions list, Bitdefender still refuses to stop deleting it after I reinstall the program and reboot. 

There is nothing in my Quarantine to ignore, nor are there any events to interact with. 

Is there any way to get Bitdefender to ignore this program or am I stuck with returning to AVG Free?

Comments

• Hi,

On BitDefender free, I downloaded the .rar and I un-rar it and scan it with BitDefender.

BitDefender will offer "ignore" or "quarantine"

I quarantine it, and after that I clicked on it on Quarantine and I restored it; At this point the file is also added to the exception list.

• 2 hours ago, claudiub said:

Hi,

On BitDefender free, I downloaded the .rar and I un-rar it and scan it with BitDefender.

BitDefender will offer "ignore" or "quarantine"

I quarantine it, and after that I clicked on it on Quarantine and I restored it; At this point the file is also added to the exception list.

By "it" you are referring to the install exe? That doesn't get flagged by Bitdefender for me, it's the components of the program in the "C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeKeylogger" folder as well as whatever registry entries (I assume) cause it to start with Windows. I can start the program manually, but if I reboot, Bitdefender prevents it from starting with Windows.

• Never mind, I got it. Took one more reboot and when it deleted keylogger.exe, I had to restore that one (maybe from the reinstall I just did) and after the next reboot, it started with Windows.

• They should add a manual exception by choosing a file or folder !!! Other free AV have this !!!

• 10 hours ago, chmichael said:

They should add a manual exception by choosing a file or folder !!! Other free AV have this !!!

Coming from other AV, I expected this feature to be more widespread. I get that they want to be idiot-proof, but at least leave some of us who know what we're doing a little latitude. 

• On 21/7/2017 at 10:39 PM, Jeffreyabr said:

Coming from other AV, I expected this feature to be more widespread. I get that they want to be idiot-proof, but at least leave some of us who know what we're doing a little latitude. 

It's off due the fact that it's EATING delphi made applications and i need to make a whole reboot and re-install in order to be excluded. Is that idiot proof ? They do this to shift up into the paid version ... Shame !!!

• Marius G.
    Marius G. QA Engineer BD Staff
    Options

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback regarding manual exclusions in Bitdefender Free. It was forwarded to the dev team.

• 3 hours ago, Marius G. said:

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback regarding manual exclusions in Bitdefender Free. It was forwarded to the dev team.

Thank you for noticing and escalating this!

• Jeffreyabr
    edited September 2017
    Options

Yeahhh, it would be awesome if this got fixed. Today I booted up my computer and I had this happen: P0AtWYP.png

https://i.imgur.com/P0AtWYP.png

That's the keylogger which already exists in my exclusions. BitDefender still decided to Block and Delete the .exe file without any additional options except deleting the event. A little more in the way of control over what this thing is doing and maybe a tweak in the persistence of Exclusions over Threats would be a good move.

• On 9/13/2017 at 8:31 AM, Marius G. said:

Hi,

Perhaps have an advanced mode whereby advanced settings, exclusions, etc. could be accessed?

• On 7/21/2017 at 3:39 PM, Jeffreyabr said:

+1 on this. I wanted to exclude a program too, but when I tried, all it would take was a URL. What's interesting is that under my list of exclusions I see a bunch of actual executables all grayed out. Some are on my C drive, but others on my backup drive. I'm not even sure where those came from. They are legit, but I don't remember adding them in the past. Did way earlier versions of Free let you do that? If so, it's been a LONG time since I used BD before, not sure how those could still be there. In any event, I still can't add a new one, darn it, although I see they are apparently going to at least "consider" this as a new feature? I am a LONG time IT professional, so yeah, I agree we should have more latitude! :)

• On 10/19/2017 at 3:25 AM, mjc775 said:

Perhaps have an advanced mode whereby advanced settings, exclusions, etc. could be accessed?

And add the ability to exclude FILES, not just URLs!

• BeFree
    Options

File and folder exclusion is now a thing on BD free