Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Ransomware Protection during system setup

Options

If I install BD TS 2018 a the beginning of a system setup, what can I do so that the setup files which I kow to be safe are all allowed to run as needed, modifying whatever they need to modify?

Is there a way to turn off the ransomware protection during setup and then turn it back on?  Or add a whole group (tens) of files to the exclusions list?  Of should I just wait till the initiall setup is complete before installing BD TS?

Chuck Billow

Comments

• Sorin G.
    Options

Hello,

You just need to add the installer itself or any other executable called by it to the exclusion as they are the ones doing the move/copy/delete.

• You could be / are talking about hundreds of files.  Can I just turn off Ransomware while I am installing and then turn it back on when I am finished?

• garioch7
    garioch7 Defender of the month ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Chuck:

I just turn off the "Advanced Threat Defence" and the "Safe Files" modules, accessible via "View Feathers" on the Anti-Virus page before installing a new program that might trip the BD protection.  When the program is installed, then I just turn those modules back on and switch "Auto-Pilot" back to on.

Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Former Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor

• I'll give that a shot, Phil.  Does BD then see installed apps etc. as safe once the Ransomware protection and Safe Files are tuned back on?\

Chuck

• garioch7
    garioch7 Defender of the month ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Chuck:

Bitdefender Ransomware Protection, in my experience, usually balks at unknown installer files, and some installers spawn a bucket full of files that Bitdefender doesn't trust.  I haven't experienced any issues with programs that I have successfully installed, unless they make changes to the protected folders.  Then it is a simple matter of adding the program's executable file to the list of "Safe Files", when you get the first warning.  You just tell Bitdefender not to block it any longer.  End of issue.

Hope this helps.  Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Former Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor

• Phil yes that should be it.  Thanks.

Chuck