Antivirus Plus 2018 is now like a virus itself

I don't know what has happened in the last update or couple of updates, but Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2018 is now making my PC unusable. It's so intrusive and frustrating. I try to install some new software. Oh no, sorry, it's trying to access protected files so that's not allowed. The installation fails part way through. I tell it to make an exception and try the installation again. Same error message. Installation fails again. Now I have partially installed software that I need to remove, so I try running the uninstaller. Oh no, sorry, that's accessing protected files. The uninstaller fails. I tell it to make an exception and run it again. Nope, sorry, still not allowed.

I've been using Cryptainer software for years which creates a kind of virtual encrypted drive-within-a-drive. Now whenever I load it up, Bitdefender tells me it's 'detected a new device' and starts scanning it, so I have to wait while it completes as it somehow holds up the opening of the software. It does this EVERY TIME. The same thing happens when I try to shut Cryptainer down, so now I either have to switch my PC off at the mains or do a potentially risky forced unload of Cryptainer, because I can't shut the PC down while Cryptainer is open and I can't close Cryptainer normally because Bitdefender tries to scan it every time I do. I really don't know what to do here as both methods run the risk of data loss on the encrypted virtual drive.

Earlier I wanted to burn some photos to a CD-R so I put the blank CD-R into my drive as usual, only this time Bitdefender decides that it's a 'new device' and starts scanning it. This not only leads to yet more delay but also then the CD-R gets stuck in the drive as it refuses to eject whilst it's being scanned.

I've tried disabling whatever I can in Bitdefender yet it hasn't made any difference (plus what's the point in me paying for it if I have to disable it in order to use my PC?) so I'm now at the point where I'm considering uninstalling and trying to get a refund on the remaining 330ish days left. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can try to reclaim the ability to use my PC? This software really isn't fit for purpose as it stands at the minute.

Comments

• Have the same issues... Have to add exceptions, white lists, take out folders from Safe File...OMG...what more? And how to add something to the white list when the App has to be installed first??

• FrostyBC455
    edited October 2017

Also when you are installing something and BD notifies that it blocked the software from changing files, it basically breaks the whole installation process even after you "allow" it inside the BD. SO i had to re-initiate the whole installation process, and then it blocked the installer on a different  progress %. So i ended up turning off ATD and Safe Files to be able to install the thing... I feel like if BD is not familiar with the installer, it acts super aggressive and restrictive. 

• 10 hours ago, FrostyBC455 said:

Also when you are installing something and BD notifies that it blocked the software from changing files, it basically breaks the whole installation process even after you "allow" it inside the BD. SO i had to re-initiate the whole installation process, and then it blocked the installer on a different  progress %. So i ended up turning off ATD and Safe Files to be able to install the thing... I feel like if BD is not familiar with the installer, it acts super aggressive and restrictive. 

Totaly agree with you. More of that, you have to know if the installer wants to access something in your Safe Folders so you can switch it off...

LOL ...to be able to install something you will have to disable your paid protection SW or it will destroy you :D