traffic blocked LAN and NET

last few days I have to turn off Bitdefender to access most web sites and even PC's on my network.

I can't even login to my router without turning off protection. wth?

Comments

• I am having the same problems since the update a few days ago - can not access the other computer on my home LAN, or the router without turning the protection shield off.  Also, a previously available online radio station will not play until I turn the shield off.  Same with trying to access the audio link through VLC.  The log in Bitdefender shows no events and since there's no way to manually add exceptions in the new Bitdefender Free with it's 'simplified' interface I'm SOL.  I submitted a ticket online, but the canned response I got treated it as a suggestion, not a bug (don't call us, we'll call you) so I don't know if Bitdefender is doing anything about it.  Will give it a while and if no response/solution will switch to Avast Free.

• Andrei
    edited October 2017

Same problem !!!

Since 19 October the free version is, sadly, useless. Random lan / wan sites are blocked and a lot of SSL sites unable to load (in Google Chrome we have this error "ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE"). If you uncheck the "Protection Shield" all connections are made again correctly.

If you uninstall the antivirus and after that you install it again everything will work perfectly until first bitdefender update is automatically installed.

So, keep in mind, the issue came from a bad definition or something like that.

Until 19 October all connections were made correctly (lan, wan, ssl, tls, etc.).

Thank you in advance !

Andrei

• AZ Mountain Geek
    edited October 2017

Does anyone from Bitdefender follow these forums?  It would be reassuring to get a response that acknowledged the problem and confirmed they were working on it.  An ET for the fix would also be helpful.  

I would be happy to pay for an antivirus if it met certain criteria:  Performance, flexibility, effective, and most importantly reliability.  But every free AV I've tried (including BD, AVG, Avira, and Avast) have all had serious problems within the first year of using them, usually when there's a major program upgrade.  I've ended up switching back and forth, let one run until it has a problem, then switch again hoping the other has worked out their bugs by then.   I can't bring myself to pay for a product that will fail to meet my needs and require me to troubleshoot once or more a year.  Ironically, Bitdefender just popped up a warning while I was writing this saying 'Your system is at risk'.  When I looked at Protection, the shield was turned on and there are no new events listed, so I have no idea what that was about.  Very frustrating, as is the 'simplified' interface which gives no control and no information.

• I too have had similar issues with Bitdefender for the past few weeks: Blocking sites such as cnn.com, blocking TeamViewer 12 access, blocking LAN connections to folder shares from another computer, blocking access when clicking on account details once logged into online banking. After emailing bitsy@bitdefender.com they suggested uninstall/reinstall, but as mentioned in an earlier thread, the problem is fixed until the next update is applied.

When uninstalling with a browser window open, I got an error message in regards to not having the browser open when trying to uninstall the Bitdefender Certificate - so perhaps this is a bad certificate issue? 

• Hello,

Please proceed with a reinstall of the application.

Please also ensure that all browsers are closed during the uninstall and reinstall of the application

• I'm having the same issues. A reinstall only works until Bitdefender does an update, then the problems start again.

• @Sorin - thanks for the response.  Since you posted, I uninstalled Bitdefender Free and Bitdefender Agent again through Control panel (had to do them separately), rebooted, downloaded the latest installer from your website, and redownloaded/reinstalled.  As others have said, that fixed the problem - in the past the problem recurred after the first update.  This time it looks like Bitdefender has gone through one update cycle and the fix is holding.  Will keep an eye on it and post the results back - hopefully there were changes made to the program or the updates to fix the problem.   Thanks again.

• AZ Mountain Geek
    edited October 2017

@Sorin - looks like I spoke too soon.  The problem is now recurring, same as previously described.  I get the Chrome message 

ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE

when trying to access the router, and the audio stream at http://stream.kjzz.org/kjzz_mp3_128.pls won't play online or through VLC until I toggle the Bitdefender protection shield off.  I also am unable to logon to another computer on the home LAN without toggling it off. 

Please advise. Thanks!

• Hello,

Please drop us an email on bitsy@bitdefender.com with the logs from the Bitdefender Support Tool.

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/1733/

If possible also include a screenshot of the error.

• @Sorin: Unfortunately the supporttool.exe that comes with Bitdefender Free does not allow getting the information you requested, and does not follow the format of the link you provided.  It gives two options: 1. Upgrade to a premium version in order to get support or 2. Submit a feedback ticket through the web form (which I already did back on 10/20/2017 - ticket 2017102020020001).  The problems with the audio stream don't have any visible symptoms so can't give a screen shot.  The full text of the error message from Chrome when attempting to access the router is the same as others have described:  

This page isn’t working

192.168.254.254 didn’t send any data.

ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE

I'm attaching the supporttoolscreen below. 1st option leads to a purchase page, 2nd option leads to https://www.bitdefender.com/support/contact-us.html which I used on the 20th. Neither will allow gathering the info you requested.

59eec9231a3a7_bitdefendersupporttool.jpg.72b79ec83acb3688651560c94f6e328f.jpg

I could turn verbose logging on in VLC and post/email that, but it probably won't do you any good without a bitdefender BDSP_  file that supporttool is supposed to generate.  It simply says in essence, stream not found.  I can tell from firewall activity that the audio is being sent to the computer from the source, but Bitdefender is getting between it and the players (VLC or the online player at http://kjzz.org/kjzzstreamer.php.  

What do you recommend we do now?

Thanks!

• AZ Mountain Geek
    edited October 2017

/index.php?/profile/201429-sorin-g/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="201429" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/201429-sorin-g/" rel="">@Sorin G.One more piece of information for your developers.  When the NET USE statement fails (from a batch ******) I get the following error message:

System error 121 has occurred.

The semaphore timeout period has expired.

I can verify through the event logs and firewall log that the requests are going out;  it appears again that Bitdefender is getting between the response and the requesting program.  As with the other problems, If I toggle Protection Shield off, it works.  A quick look though the other forums for paid versions shows others are having the same problems.   I found one with the same error message accessing their router from Oct 5 with no response yet - maybe they can run supporttool from their paid version and provide the info you requested? 

Thanks!

• I have the same problem. It blocks LAN and HTTPS after some time.

• Same issue. Created this account just to tag myself for any replies to this. Will be moving on to another product if no fix in the next couple of days.

• Me too.

Same issues as discussed in this other thread;

/index.php?/topic/77494-bitdefender-free-issues-tlshttps/&do=embed" style="height:208px;max-width:502px;">

What I have found, after a successful then failed reinstall is that what doesn't work in my default IE11 (I have W8.1) works in Chrome.

• AZ Mountain Geek
    edited October 2017

Doesn't seem to be limited to a specific browser  - In my case the problems are happening in  Chrome w/ Win 8.1. Also happens with Windows explorer locking up when trying to read from another computer via LAN, from NET USE in a batch ******, and from VLC when trying to stream audio.  Consider yourself lucky if you found a workaround on your computer. :-)  

• Add me too....

Started to happen after BitDefender Free Edition installed Root Certificate for Firefox. (Windows 10 laptop)

Several valid websites started to be blocked like dpReview.com which I had been using for YEARS.

On Windows 7 Desktop (also running BitDefender Free) and same version of FireFox says "verified by Amazon" 

This site is blocked by FireFox/BitDefender on Windows 10.  Even when I add an exception the site still will not load properly. 

Only when BitDefender Protection is turned Off will the pages load fully.

Then I found access to my Desktop via my home LAN was blocked from this Win 10 laptop.  Only when BitDefender Protection is turned Off can I get access again.

Could access the Win 10 laptop from the Win 7 Desktop.

BitDefender Free Edition is now causing too much problem on Windows 10 laptop.

• Bitdefender, please can you acknowledge this issue and give us some idea of what you are doing to rectify the issue and how long you think it will be before the problems are resolved.

Or at the very least let us know IF you are even looking at it.

Its been nearly two weeks and so far the only response has been the obligatory "do a reinstall" but clearly this doesn't work.

• Yesterday there was an automatic update - it’s now at version 1.0.9.52, which so far seems to have fixed all the earlier issues. Can others confirm?

• AZ Mountain Geek
    edited October 2017

Just tested - I'm now able to access the router with protection on.  However, I still can';t  access the audio stream, and now turning Bitdefender shield off does not help.  I verified the audio stream is accessible from a computer that's not running Bitdefender.    When I try turning Bitdeefender back on, I get an error message from it: "Failed to activate protection.  Please retry.". If I close and reopen the settings window,, the toggle is set to 'On', but the BD icon in system tray shows it as off.

Will try uninstalling and reinstalling again today - if that doesn't work it's time to move on.

• AZ Mountain Geek
    edited October 2017

OK - a complete uninstall of Bitdefender Free and Bitdefender Agent, redownload and reinstall cleared up the problem with the shield switch, and also fixed the problem with the blocked audio stream.  So far no new problems.  If anyone else still has symptoms of the original problems or the new one with the shield toggle, I'd recommend the same. 

Hopefully the next update won't cause the problem to recur as it's done for so many in the past, and hopefully this will be the last post I need to make on the topic. ;)

Thanks for fixing it Bitdefender - I only wish you communicated better on this forum!

• UnknownVT
    edited October 2017

Thanks for heads up on update.

I had already uninstalled the offending version of BitDefender Free and replaced it with Avast!

Just to recap problems were on Windows 10 laptop (Dell XPS-13 9343), LAN access and Firefox 56.0.2 (64-bit), did not have problems with Chrome 61.0.3163.100 (64-bit) - I also have BitDefender Free on Windows 7 Desktop and that did not show any symptoms.

Went to - https://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/free.html

Refreshed page several times before download.

Uninstalled Avast!

Installed BitDefender Free and found the version was 1.0.8.33!

Could not figure how to force an update (of either the software or virus definition)

However things seem to be behaving well.  After about 30 minutes BitDefender automatically updated to 1.0.9.52 but apparently still without any virus definition update.

My Windows 10 laptop still appeared to be behaving well - still got access to sites that had failed previously and access to desktop via LAN.

Virus definition was just updated (about another 10 minutes later) - and things still look good.

So perhaps the problems are now over - hopefully....

Thanks

• I uninstalled then downloaded the new installer.  It appears to be working.  I still see the message regarding TLS  handshake, but only for an instant now.

One small hiccup:  It updated after it installed.  However, the events are listed as NOVEMBER 31st.  My computer's date is correct, but Bitdefender is living a month in the future.

• I checked on a number of sites I previously had issues with and it seems to working fine now.

That said, this morning I was on a site and for a moment I got the "ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE" page but after a second or two it auto refreshed and showed the page. Not sure if this is the same as the TLS handshake mentioned above by FreeGuy, but after that hiccup it worked fine.

• AZ Mountain Geek
    edited November 2017

@FreeGuy - just looked, my last update also shows November 31.   Bitdefender must be in a VERY different time zone.  While it was humorous at first glance, it may portend future problems with BDs internal logs.  Sigh.

If anyone from BD Support is following this thread, would you please pass that information on to your developers?  Thanks.

• I am still having a problem with bitdefender antivirus free edition. Although the "ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE" has disappeared after my last unistall/reinstall routine the issue of not playing sound streams persists and it happens only on radio streams not on youtube.

I have  the 1.09.52 version with the Nov 2, 07:04 update on a windows 7 system. Any suggestions from anyone? 

• @deltaepsilon - You're not alone.  It looks like Bitdefender doesn't bother to do regression testing and they reintroduced the audio stream problem with the latest update.  I just tested - I'm having the same experience (again) with the streaming radio that was fixed earlier.  Other problems such as the 'Empty Response' and the LAN issues still appear to be fixed.  Hopefully they'll read this (ha) and fix it again very quickly (haha). 

• The problem is still here (can't access wifi router, can't access lan webcam, and so on...):

image.png.ea7efd507e00f94297608aa85fdc5101.png

image.png.3bc90a37503907ed7fd5dcfdd254325e.png

• Hello,

Rest assured that all of your feedback is being heard.

We are currently working on addressing these issues.

• Please find a solution fast because a lot of people are getting frustrated and this whole thing is becoming a joke.

• On ‎2017‎-‎10‎-‎31 at 12:16 AM, mjc775 said:

Yesterday there was an automatic update - it’s now at version 1.0.9.52, which so far seems to have fixed all the earlier issues. Can others confirm?

I can't confirm "all earlier issues" but I can at least watch videos previously busted.

• On 11/3/2017 at 4:55 PM, TimM said:

I can't confirm "all earlier issues" but I can at least watch videos previously busted.

As of 11/6/2017, early morning,  version 1.09.52 the situation is as before - no radio streaming for me

• Another one with the same problem, registered to follow this post.

• CGA
    CGA
    edited November 2017

Downloaded the latest version today to give Bitdefender a new chance. Everything was fine and dandy until I was prompted to close all browsers to install BD root certificate. I closed Firefox and let BD do it's thing. Started FF and now unable to listen to radio streams again, just hangs on "buffering". Edge and Opera works though. Firefox version is 57.0b14.

• Opera and the integrated VPN doesnt work while bitdefender protection is on. Used to work fine few weeks ago.

• 32 minutes ago, hamburg said:

Opera and the integrated VPN doesnt work while bitdefender protection is on. Used to work fine few weeks ago.

I have also noticed this.

• Judging from the frequency of the the posts on the forum I can say that either the problem has been fixed for most of the users or they have found comfort elsewhere

• 56 minutes ago, deltaepsilon said:

Judging from the frequency of the the posts on the forum I can say that either the problem has been fixed for most of the users or they have found comfort elsewhere

I'm in the "found comfort elsewhere" group. Still impossible to stream radio in Firefox. Avira is far from an ideal solution but at least it doesn't mess up my browsing experience.

• 2 minutes ago, CGA said:

I'm in the "found comfort elsewhere" group.

ditto.

But for a more obscure reason... bear with me...

Version 1.09.52 and virus definition updates seemed to have corrected the problems with inaccessible websites (FireFox only - Chrome was OK) and LAN caused by BitDefender Free Root Certificate installation on Windows 10 Laptop (Dell XPS-13 9343).

However, I noticed my WiFi LAN connection became unreliable on wake from sleep or hibernate - initially I thought it might have been a Windows 10 (auto) Update that caused it, and the WiFi adapter Dell/Broadcom 1560 did not have a good reputation anyway - BUT it had been reliable...

Turning BitDefender Free protection Off did not seem to mitigate the problem.

After trying many "solutions" posted on the web - I finally uninstalled BitDefender Free (replaced it with Avast!) and the problem seems to have gone away.

I am not saying definitively it was BitDefender that caused it - but now it's uninstalled, my WiFi connection is reliable again

• 31 minutes ago, UnknownVT said:

Version 1.09.52 and virus definition updates seemed to have corrected the problems with inaccessible websites

Same for me except for the radio streaming, LAN and router admin page is now accessible. I can also access my banking site.

33 minutes ago, UnknownVT said:

Turning BitDefender Free protection Off did not seem to mitigate the problem.

This is also true for the streaming problem, Bitdefender needs to be uninstalled to make it work.

• Just to confirm my experience is the same as CGA's.  However there's been one change - when I turn Protection Shield off and the audio stream starts playing, I can now turn it back on and the the audio will continue to play instead of eventually stopping like it did with the original problem.  If I stop the audio stream and restart, I still have to turn the shield off to get it to start playing again. I have not tried another reinstall yet.

• On 11/1/2017 at 8:17 AM, AZ Mountain Geek said:

@FreeGuy - just looked, my last update also shows November 31.   Bitdefender must be in a VERY different time zone.  While it was humorous at first glance, it may portend future problems with BDs internal logs.  Sigh.

If anyone from BD Support is following this thread, would you please pass that information on to your developers?  Thanks.

Yes, I am confirming this also. And a question of different nature: If the bitdefender antivirus free is installed on a pc is the bitdefender anti-ransom tool needed?

• 7 hours ago, AZ Mountain Geek said:

Just to confirm my experience is the same as CGA's.  However there's been one change - when I turn Protection Shield off and the audio stream starts playing, I can now turn it back on and the the audio will continue to play instead of eventually stopping like it did with the original problem.  If I stop the audio stream and restart, I still have to turn the shield off to get it to start playing again. I have not tried another reinstall yet.

The post above had a false quotation. I was referring to the one above

Yes, I am confirming this also. And a question of different nature: If the bitdefender antivirus free is installed on a pc is the bitdefender anti-ransom tool needed?

• For those who have been following this thread, I received an email from Bitdefender this morning for my ticket.  I've followed their instructions and it appears all the problems (including the one with streaming audio) have finally been fixed.  Here's the email with instructions:

Please accept our apologies for the delayed response.

In order to address the encountered situation, please uninstall the Bitdefender product from your device, then reinstall it by using the kit below:

https://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/free.html

Note: Please close all your browsers (and email clients) during the installation process. Once the installation completes, allow the product to update and restart your device.

Please let us know if everything is OK afterwards.

Have a nice day!

• One last update.  After the second automatic update since the reinstall, the problem with the audio stream is occurring again - switch the shield off and the audio immediately starts.  I'm done and will be going elsewhere for an anti-virus.

• 8 hours ago, AZ Mountain Geek said:

One last update.  After the second automatic update since the reinstall, the problem with the audio stream is occurring again - switch the shield off and the audio immediately starts.  I'm done and will be going elsewhere for an anti-virus.

Too bad, I had my hopes up reading your previous post. For me the problems arise when Bitdefender after a while decides it has to install a root certificate in Firefox. Before this all is good. Oh well, guess I'll be staying with Avira for the time being.

• I just switched to Kaspersky Free + Comodo Firewall (since Kaspersky free lacks behavior blocker) and everything works fine.

• 19 hours ago, AZ Mountain Geek said:

One last update.  After the second automatic update since the reinstall, the problem with the audio stream is occurring again - switch the shield off and the audio immediately starts.  I'm done and will be going elsewhere for an anti-virus.

:( Thanks for the update. I got the same email a few weeks ago. Though most of the fix happened with 1.0.9.52, it appears they still have work to do to fix audio streams.

• On 11/7/2017 at 11:07 PM, AZ Mountain Geek said:

I don't see much activity in here so may I guess that the problem is fixed? If it is please let me know how so I can leave this place also. And as I wrote before I have a question of different nature: If the bitdefender antivirus free is installed on a pc is the bitdefender anti-ransom tool needed?

Can any of the Tech Support team help?

• Actuall AZ Mountain Geek did not write that, my cut and paste is awful.

• Today's update has brought back all this HTTPS nonsense.  I was in the middle of viewing EVGA's website when suddenly the secure connection failed.

Sure enough, turning off Bitdefender's protection allowed me to browse the site.  I really wish you'd stop messing this up...