Threat Defence and Safe Files are killing my PC

Dear BD Team,

with this 2 new modules you guys manage to get my Apps destroyed. I have sent you already many samples of false positives and I keep finding more and more. Threat Defence makes my PC unusable!

Every single App Instalation that wants to write files in My Documents gets blocked by Safe Files (even Office gets blocked). I have to continously add apps to white lists, exclude folders from scanning or remove folders from Safe File lists.

And there are many many more issues with 2018:

- Blocked files from Threat Defence can not be restored

- Quarantined files don't show up in quarantine

- auto submit files from quarantine does not work

- rescan qarantine files dos not work because no files are shown

I run a PC for Flight Simming and every single AddOn gets destroyed by BD.

Comments

• I also find BD to be very very intrusive and restricting. I hope they loosen up the software in the coming months. Even when Autopilot is OFF the software is doing whatever it wants...

• I agree Advanced Threat Defense has been highly problematic and should have options to give the user more control. Since the update to Bitdefender 2018, I have had tons of false positives on legitimate software. One actually caused physical damage.

I bought a $500 camera, the Ricoh Theta V. While updating the firmware downloaded from the official site, Bitdefender Advanced Threat Defense was triggered, it killed the firmware update, bricking the camera. I had to exchange it for a new one!!! I informed support about it with samples of the false positive and they claim they have corrected this, but I haven't tried updating the firmware while Advanced Threat Defense is enabled again. Not worth the risk. 

It's highly worrisome that this could happen and it feels like it could happen again to other users/devices. 

• No replies from BD Team yet? I guess they too are having problem of their own in fixing this HUGE issue with their software. I have tons of (legitimate) apps that are no longer working thanks to their ATD. Even plugins to legitimate software for photo and video editing are not working. I am thinking of switching to a different AV if they will not even bother posting any support here on this thread.

• gerald_krutsch
    edited October 2017

Not a sign unfortunately. I also have a non working Firewall since Fall Creators Update for Win 10. It was malfunctioning after the update, now I think they switched it off completely and enabled Win10 Firewall instead...very dissapointed.

EDITED: Firewall seem to run fine now.

• Disappointed as I was thinking of switching to BD, but I want a hands off A/V not a whole bunch of work.

• Hello,

Sorry to hear about the situation you encountere. Have you tried adding a local exception in the ATD ?

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/2393/

For the rest of the reported issues, I was unable to reproduce them on our testbeds.

Please contact our support team via bitsy@bitdefender.com with the logs from the Bitdefender Support Tool.

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/1733/

• This seems to be a problem for me as well, especially with the new 2018 version. I am running a lot of different developer tools like git, heroku, bash, cmd, powershell and bitdefender keeps blocking anything I try to run. 

Adding local exceptions is also a pain because I have a ton of different .exe that need to be executed and there is no option to bulk add.

I have also tried to add whitelisting the folders to scan, but they are still being detected by threat defense. I had to resort to disabling thread defense entirely just so I could work on my machine. Is there no way to make this work properly? 2017 didn't have any of these issues

• I obviously can't disclose where I work. But this has become so problematic with our company's software product that we just started to discourage thousands of clients from using Bitdefender due to these issues. So it's obviously a major issue that Bitdefender needs to correct. 

5 hours ago, n0f3 said:

This seems to be a problem for me as well, especially with the new 2018 version. I am running a lot of different developer tools like git, heroku, bash, cmd, powershell and bitdefender keeps blocking anything I try to run. 

Adding local exceptions is also a pain because I have a ton of different .exe that need to be executed and there is no option to bulk add.

I have also tried to add whitelisting the folders to scan, but they are still being detected by threat defense. I had to resort to disabling thread defense entirely just so I could work on my machine. Is there no way to make this work properly? 2017 didn't have any of these issues

I agree it blocks so many things I can't add everything to the exception. Sometimes what I run also uses system files, like cmd.exe and other system .dll files. Those will get flagged as well at times. 

• NoRadiationForMe
    NoRadiationForMe Consultant
    edited October 2017

Having the same issue, for a while now.

For months now, ATD have gone crazy and blocked many applications and processes, even Bitdefender itself, causing a reinstall of Bitdefender 2018 twice.

Bitdefender ATD is actively preventing me from using my pc on some days or even weeks. The only thing that works is to disable ATD.
    Whitelisting only helps in some instances, not all.

These days I can't use Adobe Acrobat Reader DC, Opera Browser Portable or Google Browser Portable 32-bit without disabling ATD, although all processes from these products are whitelisted in ATD.

Bitdefender ATD is hopelessly bug-ridden and a fix is needed ASAP to avoid a change of AV product.

The option to whitelist folders and file bundles is also badly needed.

• i can't add .bin files to the advanced threat defender whitelist, and one of my games just gets continously blocked for wanting to write and update files. its getting problematic, to the point that i'm going to try and find an alternative to bitdefender. advanced threat defender is intrusive, and basically blocks anything without giving any particular response. i can't add an entire game folder for them to check a false positive in a .bin file.

• It's so sad that a fantastic AV product like Bitdefender TS 2017 has become what it has in the 2018 version.

The addition of ATD in Bitdefender TS 2018 has been catastrophic on several of my machines. Only one is running stable, but that is only used for streaming/media, which in itself could explain why it's fairly hassle-free.

Forcing users to upgrade to a new version that clearly is in a beta stage, is pretty awful customer service.

• TOGA just released ENVSHADE for P3D v4 (FlightSIM). ENVSHADE requiered another config toll called ENVDIR (which helps configuring ENVSHADE). I installed it and just upon launching ENVDIR...BOOOOOOM... Threat Defense informed me about finding a malicious app and disinfected it by deletion. The file can not be found and restored from quarantine!

Thank you! I will open a support ticket on this

• On 26.10.2017 at 1:06 AM, Sorin G. said:

Hello,

Sorry to hear about the situation you encountere. Have you tried adding a local exception in the ATD ?

For the rest of the reported issues, I was unable to reproduce them on our testbeds.

Please contact our support team via bitsy@bitdefender.com with the logs from the Bitdefender Support Tool.

Dear Sorin,

let's suppose I'm not so experienced, download some SW and install it. What protection would BD offer me if I had to add all the APPS (exe files) to the Whitelist prior of launching them? Why do I even buy a protection SW if I have to add all apps to whitelists or make exceptions to every single piece of SW I install?

Just bring the option to RESTORE files deleted by Threat Defense. These files are NOT in the Quarantine folder!

• nogbadthebad
    edited November 2017

same problem here and BD support just send me round in circles trying the same failed fixes. Started in the summer with BD blocking Word when I was frantically writing an important article to a strict deadline - BD stopped me from saving my work. I wasted two valuable days messing about with my computer before I realized it was BD - clue was when I found the same issue on my wife's laptop! There was no warning or notification at all. In this case adding to whitelist worked, but that was only the start.....

Then a few weeks ago Adobe Acrobat stopped working. Funny thing is, online PDFs (where excessive caution might be justified) work fine, it is Acrobat Reader itself and PDFs stored on my laptop that won't open. Adding to exclusion and whitelist makes no difference, the only thing that works is turning off ATD altogether

The final straw: now it's started blocking File Explorer, about as fundamental a Windows programme as there is! Again, only turning off safe files and ATD sort the issue.

It's also stopped Internet Explorer working, and I've had a few dodgy moment with Chrome...:(

never had any issues at all with BD 2015 2016 and 2017, so something is seriously amiss with 2018. Not sure what to do. I'd simply move my custom except  I have loads of days left on my sub! But if this keeps up I'll have no choice but to scarper.

Incidentally, most of these issues (Word, Acrobat and IE) are duplicated on my wife's laptop as well. Both running 8.1 on same model laptop.

• having posted the above, I turned on my wife's laptop (which she doesn't use for much more than web browsing) and yes, BD is blocking file explorer too......

• /index.php?/profile/212139-nogbadthebad/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="212139" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/212139-nogbadthebad/" rel="">@nogbadthebad I don't have such big issues as you do. BD just blocks all SW that use advanced anti pirating stuff mostly. It has definately destroyed some of the installer from my Fligh-Simming PC which is a real PIA.

I've also opened a Ticket Ticket-Nummer: 2017110221480003 (02.11.2017) with no feedback at all till now.

I hate it because I'm a fellow BD user since ages. I never once got badly hit by anything using BD. I even advised all of my friends and neighbours to use it. Some of them keep knocking on my door since BD2018 and I keep assuring them to be patient...

My BD is today full of exclusions. I have excluded entire Drive letters from access scanning because BD constantly flags any DRM app running on my PC....it's a mess...

• On 26/10/2017 at 4:36 AM, Sorin G. said:

Hello,

I'm facing similar issue, it has been 2 week that I've mailed Bitdefender support team but got no response yet :( 

• I came here to find help on the same thing. My computer has become unusable because of BD. I do software development and BD constantly tries to stop me from doing my work. It has marked powershell.exe, git.exe, explorer.exe, jenkings.exe all as Malware. I add exlcusions to files and folders, BD doesn't care. BD constantly disables my Jenkins build service (I have to then going into Services and restart it - I guess I hoped software developers at BD would be able to create software that would allow other software developers to do their work).

If there is a way to completely disable scanning of a folder, then please let us know. Adding the folder as an Exclusion doesn't work. When new files get added to the folder that is excluded, BD quarantines the new files (unacceptable). At this point, I can either disable/uninstall BD to finish my work or simply turn off my computer because nothing gets done with BD installed.

• Developers need to return the ability, to manage the anti-virus modules, why can't they understand that? They want to make a fully automatic protection, but they do not succeed, remember what it was antivirus to 2012?

• On 15.11.2017 at 2:53 PM, Sorin G. said:

Hello Sorin,

I know support contacted me. Unfortunately the reply did not help with the situation:

1. Support answered to Active Threat Defense that it is monitoring unusual activity. Unusual activity is also when an App needs to write files under APPData folder. BD support said that this is unusual and it should not happen! Well...unfortunately this is very very common for a lot of apps.

2. There was no mention of how to restore a blocked executable when it is flagged and deleted by ATD. I mentioned here and in my reply a thousend of times that in this case, although BD informs me that the blocked file was moved to quarantine, IT IS NOT THERE! In my quarantine I always find files flagged and moved by the AV module but none from ATD.

I didn't bother to reply oncemore to the support because we were driving in circles.

I'm a BD customers since many years and have a lot of respect for the entire team of devs and support. Since 3 years I feel that you guys are releasing a new product in a very early stage of development. The first 2-3 months with 2017 were bad (boot loops....) afterwards it did get stable. Now with 2018 it's the same. Some things don't work, other things are way to "protective"...it will settle in time but I will for sure no longer update to a new version in the first 3 months after it's release.

• Same Problem here!

As a web developer on windows, the threat defense thingy complete kills my workflow and dev-setup!

And the workflow to move files from the quarante to the whitelist is painfully annoying.

• Bitdefender just falsely marked Forza 7 as malware (windows store app) and messed up the exe, so the game no longer starts. The exe itself cant be whitelisted as its a UWP app and all file data is protected in special folders. As a result I now need to redownload the whole game to fix the issue, all 100GB worth. This is unacceptable.

It also marked MSI Afterburner, riva tuner as malware as well, these are extremely common programs.

• Maki711
    Maki711 ✭✭
    edited December 2017

My BD marked my Fallout 3 launcher as malware once. It was fun to restore it...

AND the BD will screw your Android recovery / Android installation !!!

So watch out, you could brick your Phone !!!