traffic blocked LAN and NET

Comments

• 53 minutes ago, FreeGuy said:

Today's update has brought back all this HTTPS nonsense.  I was in the middle of viewing EVGA's website when suddenly the secure connection failed.

Sure enough, turning off Bitdefender's protection allowed me to browse the site.  I really wish you'd stop messing this up...

I agree, how can the best free antivirus alternative on the market all of a sudden turn into unusable.

• I also cannot access the account portal of a major life insurance company after today's update with either Chrome nor Firefox. Turning off Bitdefender "Protection"/blocking makes the website accessible.

I'm getting close to stop using and recommending Bitdefender. Can we get some answers here?

• What a pity - I was hoping things would get better, as I really like(d) BitDefender Free.

If it's of any use -

BitDefender Free works fine without any problems on my Windows 7 desktop (using both FireFox and Chrome)

but did not on Windows 10 laptop (Dell XPS-13 9343) - fails on LAN - however unlike others it fails with FireFox but not Chrome.

I hope things get fixed soon - for me it all started with the Root certificate install.

• 5 minutes ago, UnknownVT said:

for me it all started with the Root certificate install.

Same here, seems to be the "root" cause.

• Just created an account to "me too" this problem.  First clue was a streaming radio station.  Today it was the venerable hive of scum and villainy Slashdot.org that was being blocked.

Frankly I was very close to purchasing a license on this product but now am having serious second thoughts.  The software has been removed and reinstalled and I can confirm that the problem still exists for the current free version. My work machine sitting 3 feet away with a corporate version of Bitdefender on it does not have the problem.

I wouldn't be so irritated except that the free version WILL NOT ALLOW YOU TO PUT IN MANUAL EXCLUSIONS.  Not that I've found anyways.  (I'm not perfect so if I've missed something please let me know.)  What happens when it won't let me get to my internal web sessions?  I haven't checked yet but I'm betting my wife is having the same issues but doesn't know it yet.

The end-all on this is very simple.  If you have a problem with your software you either give the client a fix or give the client a workaround.

Giving the client excuses is unacceptable.  So is giving them nothing.

Oh and one more thing - free software is a hook obviously.  You expect us to buy the software.  A certain percentage won't.  But then a certain percentage will.  The rest...are undecided until someone helps them make a decision.

Want to take a guess out of your free and paid client base who helps them choose your product?  Take a guess.

• Yip, I can confirm some if not all the previous problems are returning.

I tried slashdot.org myself (a site I don't normally visit) and sure enough I can't access it either unless I turn protection off.  In addition (although likely the same as the original LAN issues) my cross network file syncs have started failing, but if I disable protection or uninstall Bitdefender, they work fine.

Please Bitdefender, roll your changes (code) back to before these issues started, while you figure out what the problems are, and just keep the database updated. This is extremely frustrating.

• I spend whole hour investigating my network infrastructure to identify that root cause is Bitdefender, here are several sites I noted that were blocked:

https://wellness.blipcare.com

https://sourceforge.net

https://subscribe.newscientist.com/

• Created an account just to add to this thread...

While I haven't noted any issues with general browsing on the internet, ever since the update that asked to restart Chrome to install a new certificate, all my internal network services that use a self-signed certificate have been broken while Protection Shield is active.

I use the work "broken" deliberately because whatever BD is doing behind the scenes since the certificate install is screwing up HTTPS communications.  I did find the cert in the Trusted Root store, and compared to the other certs in my store that have the same intended purpose listed, this one screams "delete me".  Deactivating the cert broke a few pages, but I didn't do any further testing; deleting it outright would likely cause even more trouble.

Attached are the errors when connecting to my vmWare 6.5 test server from Chrome & Edge.  Based on the differences, my guess is that BD is presenting its cert to the browser in place of the server-generated one and the browser is having none of it.  Come to think of it, I recall reading about something similar attempted with another service a while back (likely Norton/Symantec, perhaps AVG) and how it blew up even more spectacularly...

edge_w_PS.png

edge_no_PS.png

chrome_no_PS.png

chrome_w_PS.png

• On 11/21/2017 at 11:49 PM, Psybernaut said:

In addition (although likely the same as the original LAN issues) my cross network file syncs have started failing, but if I disable protection or uninstall Bitdefender, they work fine.

On further investigation I found that this particular issue is only affecting incoming connections across the LAN.

I have three machines all running a scheduled file sync to a forth machine that is used essentially as a NAS. All machines are running Bitdefender, but I only had to uninstall the one on the NAS machine for everything to start working again.

• After all these complaints and we hear nothing from technical support. Do they try to tell us something? Their silence is deafening.

• It's interesting to note that as of today Slashdot.org works for me but the internet radio streams don't work unless I disable Protection.  I can then start the stream and it'll work even if I re-enable protection.  But if I stop the stream at any time it won't start again until I disable protection.

• On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 11:17 PM, deltaepsilon said:

After all these complaints and we hear nothing from technical support. Do they try to tell us something? Their silence is deafening.

Bitdefender Free is being offered "as is" , without support.

Do not expect any answer on this forum , from a developer.

• It looks like the last of these problems - the audio streaming issue - may have been fixed with this afternoons update.  This version is working ok for me:

2017-12-05_15-43-37.jpg.7482e4d56d230c0373d10a9bb659e82b.jpg

Hopefully the next update won't cause the problem to recur.

• 5 hours ago, AZ Mountain Geek said:

Hopefully the next update won't cause the problem to recur.

I wouldn't bet on it.   Protection Shield is now broken on 3 of my systems, and my engine version is 7.74036.  Yay for the failed to activate error.

• AZ Mountain Geek
    edited December 2017

/index.php?/profile/212285-major-error/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="212285" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/212285-major-error/" rel="">@Major Error : Just checked mine again - the engine''s been updated to 7.74037 and everything is still working.  In the past during all these problems, when the shield has failed to activate, a reboot would fix it.  Don't know if that will help in your situation.

• Yeah, I wouldn't believe it.  Before I uninstalled, I tried the reboot; everything appears fine until you open the app, and suddenly your system is at risk again.  Anyway, I was getting tired of having to turn it off every time I needed to connect to one of the internal server management pages.

• Gave 7.74039 a try just to see if the streaming issue was fixed. Seemed to work fine until the prompt for installing the root certificate showed up again. Restarted Firefox and it was back to the usual "buffering" on sverigesradio.se, same problem on Edge. Opera works though. Oh, well, uninstall and reinstall Avira again, won't install BD again for good while.

• In the latest version, the opportunity to add exception web sites.

2017-12-07_152442.jpg

• 31 minutes ago, Rampant said:

In the latest version, the opportunity to add exception web sites.

2017-12-07_152442.jpg

Didn't notice that, guess I'll have to give it one more go.

• 11 hours ago, Rampant said:

In the latest version, the opportunity to add exception web sites

Didn't help excluding, still "Buffering". I'm out of here.

• The "exclusion" option also doesn't let you exclude files or local servers.  Very annoying.  But at least my radio streams seem to be working again.

• Rampant
    Rampant ✭✭
    edited December 2017

11 hours ago, CGA said:

Didn't help excluding, still "Buffering". I'm out of here.

You need to add the folder of the buffer in exceptions, you have to edit config files BitDefender.

• Rampant wrote: You need to add the folder of the buffer in exceptions, you have to edit config files BitDefender.

How do we do that?

• 1 hour ago, deltaepsilon said:

How do we do that?

This intervention in the program files of the antivirus will not let me post it here) immediately banned)))

• This intervention in the program files of the antivirus will not let me post it here) immediately banned)))

deltaepsilon2002@yahoo.com if it helps

On a different note now, I have the edition 1.0.9.67 engine 7.74090 and I am trying to understand how to add a file or folder to the exclusion tab. Is it possible? Because from what I see here  it only allows me to add a URL and not a folder or file.

Any help will be appreciated. 

• No, only domain exclusion is possible for now.

• looks like all websites that use cloudflare ssl are being blocked by bitdefender free.

• UnknownVT
    edited December 2017

Up to now BitDefender Free has worked for me on my Windows 7 (64-bit) desktop without any of this problem.

Literally about 1/2 hour ago I got a FireFox Pop-Up about installing Root Certificate - closed FireFox to allow installation -

BDF_RootCertificate171216.jpg.a85022b63e9090a6e2d2a5fbcb6b26c9.jpg

and lo-and-behold - lots of my regular valid websites are now blocked.

Having faced this before on my Windows 10 laptop - I had no alternative but to uninstall BitDefender Free (with regrets as I really loved BDF previously)

and installed Avast (free) as I've done on my Win 10 laptop.

With regret I say goodbye to one of the best free anti-virus I had the pleasure to use,

but this has been going on since October and seems the issue has never really been resolved

• zenwho
    edited December 2017

I only started experiencing this website blocking a few days ago, after I saw that apocalyptic message about closing all my browsers so the BD root certificate could be installed.  Now, for a number of websites, I have to disable Bitdefender protection just to surf without mind-boggling aggravation.

As an alternative to adding exclusions for half the URLs out there (which is still not a guarantee that you will be able to access the websites properly), would removing that BD root certificate from my PC return things to normal?

I can see the root certificate in my console (Windows 7):

image.thumb.png.aeafd3a87ad6e0b62cd37e5fe1778349.png

Can I safely delete it without causing any problems for the rest of the Bitdefender antivirus functionality?

• I deleted the Bitdefender certificate in the console, just to see what would happen...  Nothing is fixed.  Bitdefender still blocks access to half the websites I visit, including my online bank.  (Yeah, I'm sure td.com is secretly a malware site, Bitdefender, you incompetent f*ck!)  I guess the BD certificates have to be removed from each individual browser that I use, but I cna't find those certificates.

*sigh*

I guess the downside to free stuff is having to deal with this level of nonsense.

So, anyone, will uninstalling Bitdefender Free fix all these issues?  Or will those BD root certificates continue to infest my browsing until I reinstall my operating system?

Maybe I'll give Kaspersky a try.  It might secretly be an FSB data-miner, but I'm sure it would still be an improvement over Bitdefender.

• CGA
    CGA
    edited December 2017

8 minutes ago, zenwho said:

I deleted the Bitdefender certificate in the console, just to see what would happen...  Nothing is fixed.  Bitdefender still blocks access to half the websites I visit, including my online bank.  (Yeah, I'm sure td.com is secretly a malware site, Bitdefender, you incompetent f*ck!)  I guess the BD certificates have to be removed from each individual browser that I use, but I cna't find those certificates.

*sigh*

I guess the downside to free stuff is having to deal with this level of nonsense.

So, anyone, will uninstalling Bitdefender Free fix all these issues?  Or will those BD root certificates continue to infest my browsing until I reinstall my operating system?

Maybe I'll give Kaspersky a try.  It might secretly be an FSB data-miner, but I'm sure it would still be an improvement over Bitdefender.

I uninstalled Bitdefender and installed Avira free instead and haven't had a problem since. It lacks a web security module though.

• BeFree
    BeFree
    edited December 2017

I am having this problem too! Started after installing their root certificate. Bitdefender needs to get their act together and fix this right away.

I’m also thinking about reinstalling Avast (my previous vendor)

• I'm having this issue as well...

Disabling BitDefender is the only way to get to websites using invalid certificates such as, in my case self-signed certificates on my private network.

I switched over from another anti-malware solution recently and I was happy with the speed improvements BitDefender offered but this issue, lack of configuration, and lack of support has me going back. Oh well...it is free so I doubt this vendor cares.

Clearly there is a bug involved with processing these invalid certificates. I wonder if a vulnerability can be derived from this bug...

• Speaking of vulnerabilities, for those unaware, quite a few severe vulnerabilities were recently discovered in BitDefender Internet Security 2018:

https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvekey.cgi?keyword=bitdefender

• Yeah, sort of seems like BD doesn't care at all. Which is sad, cause I was considering buying their premium products. But now my mind has changed.

• Has anyone noticed that the windows updates on win 7 and 10 do not work properly when the antivirus shield is on?

Maybe it is just me (on 3 machines)

• BeFree
    BeFree
    edited January 2018

On 12/31/2017 at 12:49 AM, deltaepsilon said:

Has anyone noticed that the windows updates on win 7 and 10 do not work properly when the antivirus shield is on?

I would test that, but I’m rocking a different vendor of antivirus. Lol

• On 12/31/2017 at 1:49 AM, deltaepsilon said:

Has anyone noticed that the windows updates on win 7 and 10 do not work properly when the antivirus shield is on?

I don't know about its intereference with Windows updates, since I switched to a different AV program a short while back.  But I can verify that Bitdefender definitely disrupted my Acronis hard drive backups.  After a lot of annoying, time-consuming trial and error, I discovered that disabling BD allowed my overnight drive-imagings to complete without error.  Since I don't use Bitdefender anymore, I no longer have to deal with all of those system issues.

• On 12/31/2017 at 1:49 AM, deltaepsilon said:

Yes, I had to disable shields for updates and uninstall completely for the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update. After SSL and Windows Update issues, I switched over to another AV solution.

• I uninstalled the previous version of BD antivirus free ( I do not remember what version it was) and installed 1.0.10.9 a week ago. Now everything works fine (radio streaming etc). I noticed also that it did not ask me to install that certificate as it did before and also in the "exclusion" tab->"add exclusion" reappeared the fields "add file" add "folder".

Finally, after uninstalling BD from one of my machines I noticed that the functionality of the windows updates did not return. So, maybe BD is not responsible for that.

• BeFree
    BeFree
    edited March 2018

Ignore me lol.

Sorin you saw nothing.

• On 18.12.2017 at 10:53 PM, zenwho said:

Bravo!

• Sergiu C.
    Sergiu C.
    edited March 2018

Hi, 

If anyone is still having this issue with Bitdefender Free, version 1.0.11.15 , please send us an email at bitsy@bitdefender.com and mention the URLs that are affected and if there are any steps to take to reproduce the issue (in case only a specific function on that website does not work, etc. ) . A screenshot with the error message (if there is one) would help as well. 

To check the build number, please follow these steps:

- Open Bitdefender Antivirus Free

- Press the menu button from the upper right corner

- Choose Protection

- The version  number will be displayed under Product Information

Thank you!

• FreeGuy
    edited April 2018

@Sergiu C. :

Still blocking legitimate websites.  Version 1.0.11.16 blocking Staples.ca, saying it's a malicious site.  Of course the problem remains that Bitdefender can't accept a self published certificate for HTTPS.  I still run it without protection enabled, but BD Free keeps re-arming itself (without permission) and I then encounter the error.  It seems like nothing has changed in the past 4 months!

I doubt you guys will ever fix this. 

• I can't edit my previous comment, so I'll add info here:  I've just uninstalled BD Free and installed Avast.  I can't believe how much less resource intensive it is.  I'm kicking myself for waiting so long.

Should you ever get your collective heads out of the sand, I may return.  But, your refusal to deal with this idiotic blocking of legitimate websites has proven that you don't really give a about your customer base.  For now, I'll stick to finally enjoying an AV that works as it should.

• snyten
    snyten
    edited April 2018

Same problem here on several PC, Windows 8 and Windows 10. I dont know if paid Bitdefender works better?

• Hope nobody minds the bump of an old post -- I was just having this same problem, and was discouraged that nobody had found a solution to the problem.  It was even more frustrating since the current free version has basically no configuration options at all, so you can't disable SSL filtering -- it's all or nothing.

Fortunately, I seem to have fixed it for myself, and I thought I'd share what worked for me.

In Firefox's options, under Privacy & Security, the last part of that section is labeled "Certificates."  I clicked on "View Certificates," and in the Certificate Manager that comes up I went under "Authorities," clicked on the Import button at the bottom, and imported a certificate I found in the BitDefender folder in Program Files:

%programfiles%\Bitdefender Antivirus Free\web\mitm_cache\fake-ca.crt

(I also imported the other .crt file in there, but I'm not sure it made any difference.)

After that, HTTPS pages finally started loading properly.

Hope that helps somebody!

• On 12/14/2018 at 12:00 AM, slinkygn said:

Hope nobody minds the bump of an old post -- I was just having this same problem, and was discouraged that nobody had found a solution to the problem.  It was even more frustrating since the current free version has basically no configuration options at all, so you can't disable SSL filtering -- it's all or nothing.

Fortunately, I seem to have fixed it for myself, and I thought I'd share what worked for me.

In Firefox's options, under Privacy & Security, the last part of that section is labeled "Certificates."  I clicked on "View Certificates," and in the Certificate Manager that comes up I went under "Authorities," clicked on the Import button at the bottom, and imported a certificate I found in the BitDefender folder in Program Files:

(I also imported the other .crt file in there, but I'm not sure it made any difference.)

Yes, indeed this works -

After having some issues with another antivirus I had been using, when I uninstalled that I thought I'd try BitDefender Free again - but lo-and-behold I found various traffic were again blocked after installing the FireFox Root certificate.

Using your method - they now seem to be unblocked.

Thank you very much.

• Blues22475
    edited December 2018

On 12/13/2018 at 11:00 PM, slinkygn said:

Hope nobody minds the bump of an old post -- I was just having this same problem, and was discouraged that nobody had found a solution to the problem.  It was even more frustrating since the current free version has basically no configuration options at all, so you can't disable SSL filtering -- it's all or nothing.

Created an account just to confirm this has resolved the issue on my end as well. Just as a side note, I ran into this a month ago and removed BitDefender. Came back noticing this post. Also made sure, during the installation, no browsers were open. On the initial install of Bitdefender all was well until it updated and I rebooted a few times.

I can confirm the only thing you need to add is the fake-ca.crt; adding the other certificate is not needed. Kudos to you!

• hake
    edited December 2018

With the greatest respect to the ingenuity and resourcefulness of slinkygn, I can still not risk deploying Bitdefender to my relatives because I have no assurance that a subsequent Bitdefender update will not invalidate it and they do not possess the competences to reapply slinkygn's remedies.  At least Bitdefender now has the information to solve this problem but there is a still a nagging doubt that similar product problems will occur in the future.

Am I correct in assuming that on a Windows system with multiple users that slinkygn's fix will need to be applied for each user's copy of Firefox?