search advisor not working after Bitdefender crash

Bit Defender (Security 2018) recently crashed on start-up and was turned off in Windows.  After rebooting and re-activating in Windows - everything seemed fine - except that Search Advisor is no longer working. Bit Defender is up to date. I don't remember the exact crash error I got - sorry.  Search Advisor is turned on and I am Not using a profile.  Ideas??

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit;  Firefox 58.0.2;  Chrome 64.0.3282.140

Comments

• really??  no ideas .  .   hoping some one can help

• Hi, 

Can you check if the scan SSL feature is turned on? If it's not, please turn it on. 

Open Bitdefender > View Features > click on the gear shaped icon under Web Protection and turn on Scan SSL. 

• thanks Sergiu C - yes, scan SSL feature, and everything else there is "on"

kelly

• I don't recall it being related to a crash, but I noticed that Search Advisor is not working for me in Firefox today. In Chrome, it works with Google, but with Bing it just shows the "waiting circle" indefinitely instead of the stoplight icons.

I wasn't logged on yesterday, so I don't know when the problem began.

A couple of times this morning, BD said it needed to close Firefox, etc., in order to fully protect (whatever the message is.) I didn't allow BD to close FF, but I closed it myself and rebooted the PC both times, and nothing changed.

I rebooted a couple more time, it still isn't working.

All web protection settings are on (including scan SSL), and no profiles are on, and autopilot is off.

I am running BD AV Plus 2018 build 22.0.18.224 under Win10 x64 Home.

• /index.php?/profile/201363-vknowles/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="201363" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/201363-vknowles/" rel="">@vknowles

Please try the following:

- open Firefox

- press on the menu button in the upper right that looks like three bars one under another

- go to Options

- go to Privacy and Security > Certificates

- press on View certificates

- go to Authorities

- delete any Bitdefender entries in the list

- press on Import 

- navigate to C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Security\mitm_cache

- select fake-ca.crt and press on Open

- check all the boxes you are prompted with

- press on next until the certificate is installed

• Sergiu, I was a little skeptical, but I followed your instructions. Nothing changed. I even closed and reopened FF, but nothing for save search.

Note that a similar problem occurs in Chrome for Bing searches, so it isn't related to the browser. (In Chrome, Bing displays a constantly rotating "wait" icon next to each result, never showing the stoplight icon.)

Please let us know if there is another solution.

Thanks!

• vknowles
    vknowles
    edited February 2018

More info: I am running FF 58.0.2 (64-bit). I do not see any Bitdefender add-ons except Wallet. Is Safe Search an add-on or extension?

Anyway, Safe Search is still not working in FF at all. However, it is now working in Chrome for both Google and Bing. Also working in Edge.

Help?

Thanks!

• Hi, 

Please check if it the Search Advisor works in a new Firefox profile:

-  open a command prompt window

- type start firefox –p

from the window that opens you will be able to create a new Firefox profile. You won't have any of your old settings or bookmarks in this new profile but they will still be in the old one. You can export your bookmarks for added safety before proceeding if you wish. 

• Hi Sergiu,

I did as you suggested and created a new, vanilla FF profile. As soon as FF came up, BD displayed a dialog saying, Bitdefender needs to close Firefox to ensure Full Protection.

I clicked OK (or Yes or whatever it was), and FF closed. When FF restarted, I tried Google and saw no Search Advisor icons. So, still nothing.

Coincidentally, my laptop turned itself off (powered down) at that point. The last event in the Windows system log was, "The Bitdefender Virus Shield service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s)," but it is possible that my external keyboard pressed down and held the power button. Maybe this crash and event are unrelated to each other and to the Search Advisor problem.

Please help with any other possible solutions.

Thanks!

• Hi, 

Please send us an email bitsy@bitdefender.com and attach a support tool log as well: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/8919/  . Thank you!

• H Sergiu C

I tried your suggestion above to delete, recreate the certificate.  No change - still no search advisor.  As VKnowles indicated, search advisor does not work in FF or Chrome for me either.  I did not try recreating a profile.  Please keep this topic updated, should you find a solution - I'll check back periodically

thanks

Kelly

• 17 hours ago, Sergiu C. said:

Hi, 

Please send us an email bitsy@bitdefender.com and attach a support tool log as well: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/8919/  . Thank you!

I just sent the email with support tool log.

• On 2/22/2018 at 10:27 PM, hondochica said:

H Sergiu C

I tried your suggestion above to delete, recreate the certificate.  No change - still no search advisor.  As VKnowles indicated, search advisor does not work in FF or Chrome for me either.  I did not try recreating a profile.  Please keep this topic updated, should you find a solution - I'll check back periodically

thanks

Kelly

Hello, 

For Chrome, can you also try searching on Yahoo or Bing ? Thanks!

• H Sergiu C

On 2/26/2018 at 1:16 PM, Sergiu C. said:

For Chrome, can you also try searching on Yahoo or Bing ? Thanks!

search advisor works in Firefox and Chrome using Bing, but not Google or duckduckgo;  did not try yahoo. 

Kelly

• So . ...   how do I get Search Advisor to work with Google and - more importantly - duckduckgo?

• Hi, 

The feature does not work at all with duckduckgo. 

To further troubleshoot the issue with the Google search engine, please send us an email at bitsy@bitdefender.com . Thank you!