Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

"bitdefender Threatscanner Has Encountered A Problem And Needs To Close" And Related Problems.

Options
Leon108
edited May 2008 in General talk

I have been evaluating trial version of BitDefender Internet Security 2008 for the last two weeks. I like the program and seriously consider purchasing it but there are a few issues to be resolved. I am running Vista SP1 on a very new computer (2 weeks old). Except BD, no previous security suits were installed. System is clean.

1) During the last two weeks I have had every day the same error (pictures below).

BitDError1.JPG

The errors seem to appear when BD is under a load and has to quickly accesses many files. It happens often during default BD scans, when I disable and re-enable indexing on USB drive or during transferring large amount of files.

What happens after that is:

- Although all 4 status boxes are green, file zone in Scan Activity Bar shows no activity. Net zone works properly and shows scanning activity (picture below).

BitDError3.JPG

The same happens in Statistics (under settings) where real time scanning graph is completely dead saying "Last scanned file - none" (picture below).

BitDError4.JPG

Only restarting the system rectifies the situation (Log off doesn't fix it). That worries me because although real time protection shows as green there is no activity neither in File zone nor in statistics graph. Is it just a graphical glitch or BD's real time protection crashes and does not scan any files despite showing all green boxes?

- Besides, as seen on the picture below, bug submitting fails every time.

BitDError2.JPG

Another issue is that System Restore causes BD to malfunction and disables Real Time Protection and Firewall. Only repair function solves the problem.

I would kindly request help with the above issues.

Comments

• Chesda
    Options

I too had this bug problem a while ago, though it only occured when i plugged in my ipod. Bitdefender would automatical disable Realtime Protection and render it useless.

This problem can be fixed after a quick reboot, though it was a nuisance having to reboot after ever USB usage.

My suggestion to you, is download these tools here and send the reports to BitDefender via MyAccount (The account you registered your BitDefender product to).

• Leon108
    edited May 2008
    Options
    I too had this bug problem a while ago, though it only occured when i plugged in my ipod. Bitdefender would automatical disable Realtime Protection and render it useless.

This problem can be fixed after a quick reboot, though it was a nuisance having to reboot after ever USB usage.

My suggestion to you, is download these tools here and send the reports to BitDefender via MyAccount (The account you registered your BitDefender product to).

Thank you Chesda for your answer. As a matter of fact, whenever I scan USB drive, BD gives me the above error. I will unplug Lacie USB drive and check whether BD still crashes during scans. Perhaps you are right and it is related to USB peripherals.

I have also downloaded test viruses from URL given in some other thread on this forum. And you were again right, after the crash BD's Realtime Protection is rendered totally useless, although it shows green boxes and all 4 services are running. I was able to run a test virus executable without any complaint from BD. However, shortly after reboot, when the issue is fixed, BD Realtime Protection recognize them and disables. I would say that it is a serious bug.

I am still using a trial version and probably I am not even entitled to an official support. Besides that, only 16 days are left till the end of the trial version and it may not be not enough to deal with BD's support, unless somebody on this forum could give me a further assistance. Or I might purchase BD IS just for the sake of pleasure of dealing with a buggy software and BD's official support. ;)

• Leon108
    Options
    I will unplug Lacie USB drive and check whether BD still crashes during scans. Perhaps you are right and it is related to USB peripherals.

Unfortunately, BD scan crashes with or without USB drive connected.

• Sm3K3R
    Sm3K3R ✭✭✭
    edited May 2008
    Options

Maybe would be better to reinstall BD.Uninstall it and use the Uninstall tool for total elimination then reinstall it.

Whenever i encounter strange behaviour from BD i just reinstall it.Using Vista you should disable the "onboard" antispyware.

• Chesda
    Options

I don't know too much about programs so don't blame me if i'm wrong, but in my view reinstalling would not fix this problem. Bitdefender has hardware faults, reinstalling a solftware with faults you'd bound to encounter the same errors. The only solution for this problem is to patiently wait till the Bitdefender Support Team patches up this bug - so urgently send in your system reports for analysis.

I don't have much to assist on as for this is the kind of problems which are non-user repairable. Alternately, you can find ways to prevent the Bitdefender Threatscan to crash. For example Disable Real-Time Protection before usb usage, enable it after you have finished with it. Furthermore, if you are really anxious about the security state of your system, i would suggest to use a free Anti-Virus product and use it's Real-Time Protection features after Bitdefender Threatscanner has crashed.

• Leon108
    edited May 2008
    Options

I have narrowed down the problem to one file which immediately crashes BD's Realtime Protection. The file's name is hsioepsb.dll and belongs to 16bit database program called Folio Views 3.0. Interesting thing is that even if I put that file or the Folio Views folder on BD's exception list, it will still crash BD's Realtime Protection and render it useless. When it is already on exception list, it crashes on-demand threat scanner (when I right click on the folder and choose BD from menu) and works properly when used through a "User Tasks" customized scan.

That's why I think that it is in BD's developers interest to analyze this completely legitimate file and fix this bug, before somebody else with a wrong intent will use the same method of disarming BD's Realtime Protection.

I like BD IS 2008 and if there is no further issues, I am definitely going to purchase it for all 3 computers in my household. I would appreciate if somebody could give me pointers where to send this small 80KB dll file to BD's devs. Thank you to all of you who took time and interest in my issue and were kind enough to help.

PS. By the way, today's BD's update which required rebooting, has reverted my trial version from 15 days back to 30. Shall I consider it as a small prize for my bug discovery? ;)

• Leon108
    Options

This is an update to this thread.

After purchasing the software, one of the updates must have solved the above problem. Meanwhile, not knowing that it had already been solved, I reported it to BD support. I was pleasantly surprised that BD support was actually supportive and quick. The person I was dealing with was Diana Bele - BitDefender Technical Support Engineer. This is my official "thank you" for her help and efficiency.