safe files at boot problem

When safe files protection at boot is enabled windows cant find onedrive and i must resync everything again,this has been brought up b4.I wanted to see if this is being looked into by bitdefender as i have to disable the feature protection at boot.Can anyone from bitdefender answer?

Comments

• Hi, 

Can you give us a clear step-by step scenario that we can test regarding this ? I'm not aware of issues with OneDrive and Safe Files at this time. 

• brihy1
    edited March 2018

I have onedrive set to startup with windows-go to safe files-enable protection at boot-restart windows and this is what i get(picture).When enable at boot is disabled everything is fine and i dont get that message.

onedrive.PNG

• Anything ever come about this?

• Hello, 

We haven't been able to replicate the issue. Have you tried a re-installation recently ? 

• columbo
    columbo
    edited March 2018

I tried this on 3 PCs. 2 running Windows 10 Home  64bit one with BD AV+ and one with BD IS, and 1 PC running 7 Professional 64bit with AV+.

I have Safe File/Protection at Boot enabled, and AV Advanced Shield Settings/ Early Boot Scan enabled. I have about 1/2 doz files and folders in OneDrive with no issues at boot and Windows launch. Maybe try starting a support ticket and submitting a log file to see what's going on, unless more members start posting about having this same issue?

edit: I do have OneDrive installed in its default location, C:\Users\"my pc"\OneDrive

• columbo
    columbo
    edited March 2018

24 minutes ago, columbo said:

Maybe try starting a support ticket and submitting a log file to see what's going on, unless more members start posting about having this same issue? Or try a total uninstall and a clean re-install like Sergiu implied?

• On 8.3.2018 at 2:00 PM, brihy1 said:

When safe files protection at boot is enabled windows cant find onedrive and i must resync everything again,this has been brought up b4.I wanted to see if this is being looked into by bitdefender as i have to disable the feature protection at boot.Can anyone from bitdefender answer?

Which Version of Windows are you currently using? Go to CMD, type in winver.

Regards,

DI

• brihy1
    edited March 2018

windows 10 build 16299.309(64 bit).I will try a uninstall-reinstall and see what happens.

• 15 hours ago, SebastianDI said:

Which Version of Windows are you currently using? Go to CMD, type in winver.

Regards,

DI

Nice tip, cmd/winver :)

7 hours ago, brihy1 said:

windows 10 build 16299.309(64 bit).I will try a uninstall-reinstall and see what happens.

Hopefully when you reinstall BD and does it set up scans, it will find the the OneDrive folder path.

• I uninstalled-reinstalled as i done b4 but figured i would do it again and it keeps doing it on both my laptop and desktop(both win 10 64 bit).When i enable that option and restart i get that popup that it cant find onedrive and it makes a binging sound as it keeps popping up.It also opens up onedrive in explorer.

• 2 different PCs, that one's now out of my league with my simple suggestions, hopefully Sergiu or Sebastian may have some follow up thoughts.

Hope it gets figured out for you, brihy1.

• garioch7
    garioch7 Defender of the month ✭✭✭✭

/index.php?/profile/104707-brihy1/" data-ipshover-target="https://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?/profile/104707-brihy1/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="104707" rel="">@brihy1

I experienced the same issue, consistently with my Dell Studio XPS 1645 laptop, months ago.  When I disabled "Safe Files at Boot", like you, the problem disappeared.  My main tower, a Maingear Shift, did not exhibit the same behavior, although I have turned that option off on the tower as well. Both computers are running Bitdefender 2018 Total Security.

So you are not alone.

Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Former Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor

• columbo
    columbo
    edited March 2018

/index.php?/profile/104707-brihy1/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="104707" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/104707-brihy1/" rel="">@brihy1 and /index.php?/profile/175943-garioch7/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="175943" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/175943-garioch7/" rel="">@garioch7 this is just me thinking...oh, oh, :) could a software that is the same installed on both PCs running on start up cause an issue,  to maybe try disabling them in Task Manager to see if that helps, or is this issue beyond that? My tests were with AV+ and IS, so could it have something to do with Total Security if brihy1 is running that too, and all Total Security's other features it has going on during boot/start up?

• Yes i run total security as i have box 2.The only software my 2 computers both have is macrium reflect backup.I really dont think macrium is the problem.

• garioch7

/index.php?/profile/104707-brihy1/" data-ipshover-target="https://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?/profile/104707-brihy1/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="104707" rel="">@brihy1

Interestingly, I have Macrium Reflect 7.1 (paid version) on both of my computers, but the laptop ran into issues when it was Version 6.  Macrium does have running processes, so /index.php?/profile/4566-columbo/" data-ipshover-target="https://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?/profile/4566-columbo/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="4566" rel="">@columbo might be on to something ...

Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

• I also have macrium reflect 7.1 paid on my computers and this problem was happening with version 6.I really dont want to uninstall macrium as i believe backups are the most important form of security mainly dealing with ransomware.Maybe ill uninstall it just to see if it stops the problem,ill get back with the results.

• 4 minutes ago, brihy1 said:

I also have macrium reflect 7.1 paid on my computers and this problem was happening with version 6.I really dont want to uninstall macrium as i believe backups are the most important form of security mainly dealing with ransomware.Maybe ill uninstall it just to see if it stops the problem,ill get back with the results.

/index.php?/profile/104707-brihy1/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="104707" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/104707-brihy1/" rel="">@brihy1 Or since you've scanned  files on boot with BD, and you know it's clean, maybe just disable that feature in BD, and know BD will pick up, hopefully, on anything else by its shields, on access, on demand, web protection, firewall protection, Advanced Threat Defense etc? It sounds like macrium is a little more intense in its install and in what it does, and I'm like you, I don't like un-installing and re-installing "heavier" software if I don't have to. But it's up to you, if you want to give it a try to see if that would resolve it?

• I think your right on this columbo,i think ill leave it disabled instead of messing with it.If the bitdefender team wants to test with macrium that would be great but ill leave it alone.Even if it is macrium causing it i will still keep that program as it has never let me down in the past with restoring the system.

• Ok so i couldnt help it so on the laptop which is not important as my desktop i uninstalled macrium reflect home edition 7.1-rebooted-enabled safe files,protection at boot-rebooted and did not get that popup about the onedrive?Im thinking theres something with that bitdefender option and macrium reflect?I will keep macrium as its a very good program and disable protection at boot until its maybe it gets fixed.

• Nice job, brihy1.  It sounds like you narrowed it down. It may help BD support to consider this, as Phil had the same issue with his 1 PC.

Now that you know, or it seems to be the case, do you think those processes (macrium) be added to AV Exclusions, and especially to the Advanced Threat Defense application Whitelist and maybe take care of the issue BD was having? 

• I tried adding every exclusion from macrium to av & advanced threat defense but makes no difference,as soon as i restart i start getting that onedrive popup.

• columbo
    columbo
    edited March 2018

Nice try. It sounds like it's pretty much resolved as far as what you have to do in disabling  the safe files at boot. You've really been diligent at all this, maybe now you can take the rest of the night off and have a cold one :)

• Hi, 

Do you have Macrium configured in a certain way? Can you give us more details on this ? We are still not seeing the one-drive error mentioned in the initial posts.

You can also try whitelisting Macrium in the Safe Files module: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/2025/

• columbo
    columbo
    edited March 2018

1 hour ago, Sergiu C. said:

Hi, 

Do you have Macrium configured in a certain way? Can you give us more details on this ? We are still not seeing the one-drive error mentioned in the initial posts.

You can also try whitelisting Macrium in the Safe Files module: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/2025/

Good idea to try whitelising from that description link(s)...I didn't even think to try that option, I just looked at the gear icon setting. There are a lot of settings to cover and populate with exclusions in BD. It would be nice if there was some overlapping of exclusions across the Protection modules :)

• brihy1
    edited March 2018

I whitelisted macrium in safe files and have enable safe files protection at boot and so far after numerous restarts on the laptop have not seen that onedrive popup,i think this may have corrected it.I will try on the desktop and post back.Worked on desktop also.I wanna thank everyone for the help as looks though all is good,Thank You

• columbo
    columbo
    edited March 2018

There's hope yet :) That's so nice that Phil chimed in to give us a hint of him having that same issue with macrium, and then Sergiu's suggestion (and link) to whitelist in safe files/application access. What a team effort :) .....hope I haven't jinxed it by speaking to soon ;)

• garioch7

I have just switched on "Ransomware Protection at Boot" on my main tower computer.  It was not having issues with OneDrive.  When I went to "Whitelist" Macrium, it was already there as an authorized application, and button was turned on to allow.

I will check my laptop on Friday when I normally turn it on for its weekly updates and backups.  I will report back.

Nice detective work, all!

Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

PS: Now if could solve the long update times ... :(

• Phil,i noticed when i whitelisted it and enabled at boot the 1st time i restarted i got that popup 1 time and after that all was good.Also for some reason on my desktop only i had to allow onedrive app to be allowed as a  authorized application,did not have to do this on my laptop .

• garioch7

I fired up the laptop today.  Macrium was not listed as an authorized app, so I added it, and turned on "Safe Files Protection at Boot."  I have rebooted the laptop several times, as well as the tower (that never did have issues, because I had turned the safe boot protection off there was well to prevent problems, when the laptop was having issues).

OneDrive was not listed as an authorized app on my tower, but it was on my laptop.  Go figure!?

I think that the critical factor was not having authorized Macrium.  Any way, the issue appears to be resolved, and if the BD Team want to investigate further, they have my blessing! :)

Thank you all for the great detective work!  Another of life's eternal mysteries solved. ^_^

Have a great weekend.

Regards,

-Phil

• 3 minutes ago, garioch7 said:

/index.php?/profile/104707-brihy1/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="104707" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/104707-brihy1/" rel="">@brihy1

---------------------

---------------------

Thank you all for the great detective work!  Another of life's eternal mysteries solved^_^

Have a great weekend.

Regards,

-Phil

lol...good one, Phil. :)

Thank you for your valuable help here, as well as the excellent work you do at Bleeping Computer.

Hope you have a great weekend, too :) 

• garioch7

/index.php?/profile/4566-columbo/" data-ipshover-target="https://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?/profile/4566-columbo/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="4566" rel="">@columbo

Thank you for your kind words.  They are much appreciated.  You are to be commended for your work here, as well.

Well it looks like I spoke too soon!  I am getting intermittent notification messages now to "Come Back to OneDrive".  I am not getting the old multiple File Explorer windows and OneDrive login windows, but I get Windows 10 Pro x64 (Build 1709) "Come Back to OneDrive" notifications intermittently just after booting.  OneDrive appears to be working just fine.

So I think that there is still some level of incompatibility between BD and OneDrive, since I never received any such notifications before turning on "Safe Files at Boot" again.

Just my experience.  Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

• garioch7

Interestingly, I booted up my laptop today (I turn it one once a week to update and back it up), and on a reboot, I got the old "OneDrive" error message and multiple Windows File Explorer windows opening, although OneDrive appeared to be functioning just fine.  Macrium is listed as an authorized app, and according to BD, there has been "no access".

So there is still something going on, randomly.  By the way, the random OneDrive notifications on my main tower have disappeared for the last several days.

Odd.

Have a great weekend.

Regards,

-Phil

• My son signed into his account on the pc and got the onedrive popup and explorer windows popups.My laptop has not done it but as of now i turned off the protection at boot as its very annoying.