Vulnerability Scan

ozziebear
ozziebear ✭✭✭

BD vulnerability scan tells me that I have 39 critical  Windows updates to install.  Windows update tells me that most of these updates have already been installed and the rest do not apply to my computer.  A bug?

Comments

•  

I have the same problem

• bdl
    bdl ✭✭✭

Any post from beta tester ?

• There were/are some known issues with the vulnerability scan, for instance that it reports a no connection message when you're on ethernet. If I remember correctly they said they were going to fix it when the stable version was released.

• Fenderman1
    edited July 2018

17 hours ago, ryspredator said:

There were/are some known issues with the vulnerability scan, for instance that it reports a no connection message when you're on ethernet. If I remember correctly they said they were going to fix it when the stable version was released.

Given the very short beta testing period, a stable version is likely to be a long way off. However ,this is supposed to be the public release. 

https://www.bitdefender.com/media/html/consumer/new/launch2019-opt/?icid=ban|c|solutions|launch2019|us

• I don't think the stable version is a long way off considering there was a long list of users that won a year of Bitdefender subscription for their contribution. I mainly reported issues related to the vulnerability scan (the one mentioned in my previous post), the VPN and crashes which I believe some to be a result of incompatibility. I know there was a long list of known issues, for which they had some time to fix, but I personally couldn't reproduce any of those issues with a clean install of Bitdefender 2019.

• i'm having same problem it's reporting all kinds of updates that windows update does not metion. Also pressing install or install all hangs on "initializing download" it never actually download anything

• Same problem here with fully updated Windows 10. Bitdefender Total Security 2019 vulnerability scan reports that there are nearly 40 critical Windows updates.

• 86 GB?

bd50.thumb.png.6d22aef0ffd04e6caee27c24e6d497fa.png

• On 7/19/2018 at 12:42 AM, ryspredator said:

I don't think the stable version is a long way off considering there was a long list of users that won a year of Bitdefender subscription for their contribution. I mainly reported issues related to the vulnerability scan (the one mentioned in my previous post), the VPN and crashes which I believe some to be a result of incompatibility. I know there was a long list of known issues, for which they had some time to fix, but I personally couldn't reproduce any of those issues with a clean install of Bitdefender 2019.

Every version of Bitdefender I have had has had issues, like modules stopping working, and now the Windows Update bug.

There is never a Bitdefender release that's not buggy.

It has good features, but it's just not tested well enough before release.

I will NOT be an unpaid beta tester for BD !

The last version ( 2018 ) had so many false positives, that AV-Test.org withdrew its Top Product designation.

https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/windows-10/april-2018/bitdefender-internet-security-22.0-181491/

I need an AV that I can rely on, and right now, Bitdefender is not it.

• Vulnerability Scan finds things to update, but never gets past the "downloading" stage. For instance, I can select the smallest of the options, say something that's 20.7MB. I can leave it downloading all day & night and it never stops spinning to actually install the update. What's up with that?

• Looks like BD needs to sort this and fast.

•  

In order to resolve the encountered issue which was solved in the latest update, please be so kind and follow the steps from below:

1. Download and run this Bitdefender uninstall tool: 

https://www.bitdefender.com/files/KnowledgeBase/file/Bitdefender_2018_UninstallTool.exe

*NOTE: If you have a Bitdefender Wallet created please make sure to export it:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/2108/

2. Please make sure you have uninstalled Bitdefender Agent from Control Panel by following the steps below:

Press at the same time the keys "Windows logo" (located between Ctrl and Alt keys) and "R". 

This will bring up the Run box.

-Type directly in the box "appwiz.cpl" and hit Enter. 

-Wait while the list is being populated, then search for 'Bitdefender Agent', right click on it and choose Uninstall.

3. Download and install this software and then run it to clean your computer's registry and temporary files:

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standard

[How to use CCleaner]

http://www.piriform.com/docs/ccleaner/using-ccleaner/cleaning-your-pc/cleaning-your-pc

http://www.piriform.com/docs/ccleaner/using-ccleaner/registry-cleaning

Once the cleaning is complete it's recommended to restart your computer.

4. Reinstall Bitdefender from your Central account as guided in the article below: 

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/13441/

Please make sure you right click on the installer and select "Run as Administrator".

• Really don't want to do all that and lose my settings again... If we wait until that update is released for automatic install would that resolve the issue or are all those steps still required? TIA!

• /index.php?/profile/214405-ran1212/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="214405" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/214405-ran1212/" rel="">@Ran1212 - Do you know what Build is the latest update? I'm currently running BD IS 2019 with Build 23.0.8.17. Thanks very much!

• Hello,

The latest build is 23.0.8. 20

I had problems with the vulnerabilty scan.

I updated an hour ago.

No more problems.

Dan from France

• i'm not updating like this again, i'm not goana go redo all my settings again. 

• Alright, I gave in and performed the uninstall/reinstall procedure again. Guess that's the price you pay for being an early adopter; fortunately I'm semi-retired! :)

• I updated to the new build with no difficulty. Vulnerability scan seems to be working now without problem.

Thank you, Bitdefender, for a reasonably fast solution!

• Wow, very glad I took the time to install the latest update. Not only did it fix the vulnerability scan issues but my total idle BD RAM usage is way down, nice job BD programmers!!! :D

• Hate to say this but the patch available through your central account doesn't work in this instance. I'm constantly getting "Windows Update Service Cannot be started" so I conclude from that and because this was made available so quickly (moi skeptical?) that Bitdefender have knobbled (as we say in the UK) this feature 'cos they've not got a fix yet. Doesn't say much for their testing either.

• On 8/6/2018 at 12:57 PM, Brush6136 said:

Hate to say this but the patch available through your central account doesn't work in this instance. I'm constantly getting "Windows Update Service Cannot be started" so I conclude from that and because this was made available so quickly (moi skeptical?) that Bitdefender have knobbled (as we say in the UK) this feature 'cos they've not got a fix yet. Doesn't say much for their testing either.

I'm having the same problem, i think it might happen when there are actually updates avaialable as i did not see it the first time i tested it again after updating. I'm currently on 23.0.9.25

• As you can see I have no problem like this, bitdefender runs smoothly!

xxx.PNG

"Nu urăsc tehnologia, nu urăsc hackerii, pentru că asta vine odată cu ea"

• That's supposed to make me feel better?

• If you do not use a license windows it's normal to let you know that you have to update to windows, or maybe it's just a bug on bitdefender Total Security...

I just wanted to show you that I have not encountered this problem so far .

"Nu urăsc tehnologia, nu urăsc hackerii, pentru că asta vine odată cu ea"

• Both Windows and Bit Defender are licensed. I'm using total security 2019. Many of it's features are not full e.g. VPN irrelevant for me as I already use Tunnel Bear which works well. Other aspects of the product constantly prod you into doing things that are not necessary e.g. saying you're low on disk space when you're not e.g. around 60% of my disk is unused but regularly tells me I need to run the optimisation routine to help release more space! My system is relatively clean as I had to do a reset due to an error with the MSI system cause by my hardware vendor deleting part of that system. The only way out of it was a reset, so Windows 10 is fully up to date and working fine.

Bitdefender continues to tell me my router does not have an admin password. First off their terminology is wrong. I have a hub. Routers are complex devices that ISP's and other large scale services use for controlling access across large networks. It assumes that the hub stores it's password in a cookie (it tells me this!). It doesn't and I'd be really annoyed with my ISP if it did. So they obviously do not interrogate the hub. It makes the same assumptions with my WiFi password which they say is weak but they look for cookies! I could go on.

This is the second time I've used Bitdefender. It's strength lies in it's low overhead and effective trapping of malware. But it makes big errors in many of the other areas it tries to cover. Unless these things are improved I'll be looking for an alternative at the end of the licence period. BTW I'm retired after 38 years operating at a senior technical level in IT, but still keep in touch with developments and have a wide array of tech. I teach people how to use the tech effectively and help many people to resolve their issues.

This discussion has been closed.