"Page Fault in Non Paged Area' after uninstallation of Bitdefender 2018

Bit of strange one!

A few days ago I uninstalled Bitdefender 2018 to install Bitdefender 2019 and ran into an issue. After the uninstallation phase of Bitdefender 2018 I started running into frequent blue screens 'Page Fault in Non Paged Area' on boot up or shut down.  They were seemingly random but frequent and never occurred during normal Windows operation only on shut down/boot up.  I consider myself fairly knowledgeable with PC diagnostics and I would normally associate this blue screen with a memory issue or perhaps even drivers.  After much testing, I did a system image restore back to prior uninstallation of Bitdefender 2018 and everything was fine again, no blue screens!  It gets a little more bizarre because this triggered a memory of many years ago when I uninstalled a version of Bitdefender (talking years ago) from a completely different PC in preparation for installation of a competitor antivirus. (I was finding Bitdefender was giving too many false positives at the time). Exactly the same issue! Multiple blue screens on boot up with the 'Page Fault in Non Paged Area' error!  The only major similarities between these two machines that I can think of was both booted from an SSD drive.  Any thoughts?  I would like to safely remove Bitdefender 2018 for installation of 2019 but do not want to run into this issue again.  Installation of Bitdefender 2019 did not fix the issue so the issue seems tied to the removal of 2018?? Any thoughts? 

Comments

• Two things come to mind... First I saw mentioned in one of the upgrade procedures that after the uninstall of BD 2018 you should ensure that Bitdefender Agent was also uninstalled, and if not uninstall it through Windows. Second is that in this upgrade procedure  it states that you can simply do the Install through BD Central by downloading the current install file which will take care of the uninstall first, you then reboot and proceed with the new install. Maybe that process would correct something that was missed in your uninstall. Good luck and let us know what you find or how you resolve this issue.

• Hi, 

Thanks for the swift response, the uninstall was carried out as part of the installation of the new Bitdefender 2019. It said that it needed to uninstall Bitdefender 2018 first, it did this and upon the first reboot following uninstallation I got the first blule screen.  Once backup, Bitdfender 2019 continued to install successfully but the blue screens continued. I might try the Bitdefender removal tool. Interestingly I carried out this same procedure on two other home PC's and was unable to replicate the error.  Im just afraid if I try again Im going to run into the same issue, I really do not want to waste any more time with image restores.

• I don't blame you for being reluctant to try again, BSOD issues can be very frustrating! The BD removal tool is supposed to be very thorough and might be worth a try if you feel up to the challenge of taking it on...

• Did a search for the specific BSOD you encountered and found the following pages which might be helpful in debugging the problem:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/how-to-fix-page-fault-error-windows-10,36234.html

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/page-fault-in-nonpaged-area-bsod-error-on-windows-10-solved/

Several videos also shown on this search page about resolving such issues.

• Thanks for the response.

These point towards the generalised issue of memory issues or hardware/driver problems causing the blue screen. I have already established that the issue is directly related to the removal of Bitdefender. One of the suggestions in these articles is the disabling of your antivirus software as a diagnostic test. Im going one step further here, the REMOVAL of my antivirus. Whats more it's the removal thats causing the bluescreen.  I think at this point I either stick with Bitdefender 2018 or take a risk and run the bitdefender removal tool and hope it doesnt happen again.  I was hoping to try and understand why the uninstallation of Bitdefender would cause this particular bluescreen espcially when I have replicated it in the past on an entirely different machine.  Knowing this might allow me to understand how I can remove the software safely without wasting time again.

• I think I am going to try the Bitdefender removal tool, going to have all fingers and toes crossed!

• Cosmin P.
    Cosmin P. QA Engineer ✭✭✭

If you have a MEMORY.dmp in C:\Windows, upload it somewhere and PM me the link so we can take a look and solve the problem. :)

• Good news!

I used the bitdfender removal tool and installed the latest version and touch wood, no more blue screens! No idea what was causing it but at least Im up and running with the latest verison of Bitdefender.  Thanks for the help!

• 4 hours ago, VGAglory said:

Good news!

I used the bitdfender removal tool and installed the latest version and touch wood, no more blue screens! No idea what was causing it but at least Im up and running with the latest verison of Bitdefender.  Thanks for the help!

/index.php?/profile/214434-vgaglory/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="214434" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/214434-vgaglory/" rel="">@VGAglory - Looks like you resolved your problem and I'm glad to hear that! Curious to know what Build version you now have, which you can check by right clicking on the BD icon in the Windows notification area and selecting 'About'. Unfortunately I haven't found any way to check for the latest available build other than uninstalling/reinstalling BD software. TIA

This discussion has been closed.