Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Safe Files

Options

Hi, I suspect I won't have been the only one with this issue, but have yet to see a solution this isn't just to turn the feature off.

So, it seems like Safe Files in Total Security 2019 on Windows 10 is preventing me from moving files around within and between protected folders. There's no dialogue where you get to confirm the process, or ask for admin rights, simply a pop-up to say unable to complete operation access is denied (or words to that effect). Is this a common issue? Files can only be moved around/renamed etc., when Safe Files is disabled. Perhaps my installation is defective if there's no dialogue box, or is there genuinely no way to tell the system that an operation is OK, or for that matter not OK?

Contact with Bitdefender HQ has just led to a series of misunderstandings, and it seems apparent that the sense of my messages/issues is being lost in translation. The suggestion is that I need to find the app that is responsible for managing the files to allow that through the exceptions list. However, since for now I would just like to move files around within the protected folders, this would presumably be explorer.exe, which the Support Centre say would be unwise, and I think I'm inclined to agree, since this surely opens the door to ransomware...?

Is there an app to safely allow through, or is the answer to turn off Safe Files while I'm moving files then switch it back on again afterwards?

Comments

• Paul SSS
    Options

I too have noticed that Safe Files does not work in 2019 as it did in 2018.  I spend an hour and a half on frustrating chat and calls trying to get help, but the best Bitdefender could do was either tell me that my file in the My Documents folder needs to be sent to them to be checked as malware, or just turn off protection, and then my problem is solved.  They also told me to whitelist the file, which is not possible.  The support team don't know how this works. 

I even used snipping tool to take a screen shot of the application whitelisting to show it does not work, and even snipping tool is not allowed to save files in the Safe Files protected folders.

So I too have just switched this feature off until they (1) accept there is a bug  and (2) fix it.

I regret upgrading to 2019.  It is not ready yet, and I am just a free user tester now for Bitdefender.  They also will not let me re-install 2018, which does work.

• Sergiu C.
    Options

Hi,

Safe Files will block any application that is not digitally signed.

Of course, explorer.exe is digitally signed and thus should not be blocked.

I would recommend running a system file check as described here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929833/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system

And a reinstall of Bitdefender if the issue persists afterwards (to make sure that the issue isn't caused by a faulty installation): https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/13429/

• Paul SSS
    Options

My problem appeared resolved.  But now it is worse.  Safe files blocks application access, allows me to whitelist, and then the application access works. A short time later, despite the application appearing on the whitelist, the application access is blocked again.

How can Bitdefender have released something so unstable and unusable?

This discussion has been closed.