Disk access every second after recent update?

cecil
edited September 2018 in Archive

Bitdefender Total Security 2019 reads all my hard drives except C: about once a second.  This started after an update since September 1, 2018.  Is this necessary or a bug? 

The constantly blinking lights on the hard drives is very distracting.  I have not noticed any affect on performance.

I restored my drives to August.  The problem went away until Bitdefender required rebooting the computer.

Comments

• /index.php?/topic/79608-bitdefender-keep-querying-bitlocker-status/&do=embed" style="height:219px;max-width:502px;">

same issue here

• I uninstalled Bitdefender again.  My hard disk lights all stopped the constant blinking.  

It seems impossible to find out which application is accessing which hard drive?  But Bitdefender directly or indirectly causes it.

I installed a 30 day trial of Kapersky.  It blocked all my email until I white listed emClient.  Seems to be working without constant disk accessing.

I would go back to Bitdefender if they fix the new bug before my Kapersky trial ends.

It is very sad.  I really liked Bitdefender.

• Same problem here. As soon as I uninstall bitdefender the lights stop blinking for both my usb hard drives.... The problem started after I installed TIS 2019... Also this keep the hard drive continuosly spinning for nothing!

• I decided to open a support ticket, but cannot find a place to do that.

https://central.bitdefender.com/support

Support only suggests reading articles about the 2018 version.  Since the problem started with an update to the 2019 version, I did not bother.

• This is a common issue and is appearing in multiple system administrator forums. Using the old 2018 installation does not work long-term, as Bitdefender will force you to upgrade to 2019 eventually. They do not offer downgrades. I would not bother putting in tickets or complying with the Bitdefender "helpless desk" requests for detailed information. Bitdefender is well aware of the slow-down issues, along with their "nanny-state" false-positives of web site encryption credentials. Asking you to send them information is a ploy to buy time.

Just turn off the firewall (or at least Encrypted Web scan, under Online Threat prevention). Keep the anti-virus and use the Microsoft firewall that comes with Windows instead.

I have been a loyal Bitdefender customer for several years. As soon as my subscription runs out, I'm dumping this nanny-state nonsense.

• street_lethal
    edited September 2018

I have to admit, BD 2019 su*ks. I've also been a long time customer and I may have to dump this and move on. Ever since the update in early September I can't eject a USB drive because there's non stop disk access due to BD. How long does it take to correct this issue?

I tried downgrading to Total Security 2018 and it didn't go well.

• You can bypass the eject option for USB drives and simply pull them without data loss by following these directions:

For flash drives USB: 1) opening Control Panel, 2) opening Device Manager, 3) selecting Disk Drives, 4) right-clicking on the listed USB drive, 5) select Properties, 6) on the Policies tab, uncheck "Enable write caching on the device".

For external USB hard drives, the directions are the same. Under the Policies tab, set to "Quick removal (default)"

You won't have to eject if you set your USB this way. You can verify by searching on the Microsoft web site.

• Or they can just fix this issue with Bit Defender.

• I actually checked the cache policy for my two externals, I already have caching disabled. I must have did it a while back and forgot I did it. BD still needs to fix the issue.

• On 9/14/2018 at 12:40 AM, Pasca said:

You can bypass the eject option for USB drives and simply pull them without data loss by following these directions:

For flash drives USB: 1) opening Control Panel, 2) opening Device Manager, 3) selecting Disk Drives, 4) right-clicking on the listed USB drive, 5) select Properties, 6) on the Policies tab, uncheck "Enable write caching on the device".

For external USB hard drives, the directions are the same. Under the Policies tab, set to "Quick removal (default)"

You won't have to eject if you set your USB this way. You can verify by searching on the Microsoft web site.

I do NOT agree with this proposal. It will slow down seriously when transferring files from/to USB-drive.

• On 9/12/2018 at 2:16 PM, cecil said:

I decided to open a support ticket, but cannot find a place to do that.

https://central.bitdefender.com/support

Support only suggests reading articles about the 2018 version.  Since the problem started with an update to the 2019 version, I did not bother.

Hi...Your best bet is to send an email to support at      [email protected]

• Hello, 

This is a product bug that has already been reported here:

/index.php?/topic/79573-bitdefender-prevents-eject-usb-mass-storage-device/&do=embed" style="overflow: hidden; height: 336px; max-width: 500px;">

If you wish to be informed when a fix is released, you can email us at [email protected] 

Thank you!

This discussion has been closed.