New update Bitdefender -> Excel 2010 stops working

I got an update for Bitdefender Free. I now have

Antivirus Free Edition 1.0.13.61

Engine version: 7.77761

After this update my installation of Excel 2010 does not work anymore. Excel does not start anymore. After termination of Excel and a new attempt to start again, Excel reports difficulties with the add-ins (e.g. Power-Query by Microsoft). When I turn them off Excel runs again.

Counter-test: If I deactivate Bitdefender, I can start Excel with the add-ins.

Come on, guys. You're not serious, are you?

System: Win 10 Pro 64 bit Version 1803 build 17134.345

Office: Excel 2010 32 bit

Comments

• Psybernaut
    edited October 2018

Same problem here on Windows 7 and office 2007. It is blocking all Office products, Word, Excel, Outlook etc.

Please fix this urgently, there must be thousands of people with this problem that don't know about this forum.

Bitdefender Free: 1.0.1.3.61

Engine Version: 7.77774

• Sorin G.
    Sorin G.
    edited October 2018

Hello,

Can't seem to reproduce this issue. Can you please provide more info.

Also let us know if you are running any other security software apart from Bitdefender.

/index.php?/profile/139755-oli_w/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="139755" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/139755-oli_w/" rel="">@oli_w you mentioned that Power-Query has difficulties, can you please tell me what version of that add-in are you using ? Was unable to reproduce the issue with 2.59.5135.201 64-bit

/index.php?/profile/211908-psybernaut/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="211908" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/211908-psybernaut/" rel="">@Psybernaut Do you receive any kind of warning from either Office or Bitdefender?

Please also let me know what version do the two files found here have(gemmauf32/64.dll) :

C:\Program Files\Bitdefender Antivirus Free\gemmauf\263627661050062563

C:\Program Files\Bitdefender Antivirus Free\Gemma\gemma_00029_003

Note that the folder after gemmauf might have a different number.

• 12 minutes ago, Sorin G. said:

Hello,

Can't seem to reproduce this issue. Can you please provide more info.

Also let us know if you are running any other security software apart from Bitdefender.

/index.php?/profile/139755-oli_w/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="139755" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/139755-oli_w/" rel="">@oli_w you mentioned that Power-Query has difficulties, can you please tell me what version of that add-in are you using ? Was unable to reproduce the issue with 2.59.5135.201 64-bit

/index.php?/profile/211908-psybernaut/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="211908" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/211908-psybernaut/" rel="">@Psybernaut Do you receive any kind of warning from either Office or Bitdefender?

Please also let me know what version do the two files found here have(gemmauf32/64.dll) :

C:\Program Files\Bitdefender Antivirus Free\gemmauf\263627661050062563

Note that the folder after gemmauf might have a different number.

Here are the details...

Error Message

The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000005)

gemmauf32.dll    v1.1.29.0

gemmauf32.dll    v1.1.29.0

I also just discovered this is blocking Adobe PDF reader as well, and again if I disable Protection Shield, it works fine.

I am not running any king of additional security. It is also worth noting that over the years I have recommended this to and installed it on, many friends, relatives and colleagues computers and many of them have contacted me this morning with the same problem, so this is not an isolated issue. These people are all running different version of windows 7, 8 and 10 and Office from 2003 to 2010 and they all had the same error and all work fine after disabling Protection Shield.

• oli_w
    edited October 2018

Microsoft Excel 2010 Version: 14.0.7214.5000 (32-Bit)

Power Query Version: 2.56.5023.1181 32 Bit

gmmauf32/64.dll Version: 1.1.23.0 (32 bit, 64 bit)

After checking this I installed the newest version of Power Query: Version: 2.59.5135.201 32 Bit

Even with this version of Power Query the problem still exists. After stopping Bitdefender service Excel does start. After enabling Bitdefender Excel doesn't start. After terminating Excel and a second try starting it Excel tells me there is a serious error starting the add-in.

Translation of the error message in the pic:

"Serious error in Excel with microsoft power query for excel add-in. If this error message was displayed more than once, you should deactivate this add-in and check whether an update is available. Do you want to disable this add-in?"

2018-10-12 10_34_05-Window.png

I do not use any other security related software except the Win 10 onboard software (Windows firewall, security center).

• Sorin G.
    Sorin G.
    edited October 2018

Hello,

Please let me know what exact version of Adobe Reader are you running on that machine and if you receive the exact error as for Office.

Also please provide me with the value of the registry entry : Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Bitdefender\gmid

And if you could please also provide the version of Gemma.sys in C:\Windows\System32\drivers

Thank you for your fast replies and patience.

• Psybernaut
    edited October 2018

13 minutes ago, Sorin G. said:

Hello,

Please let me know what exact version of Adobe Reader are you running on that machine and if you receive the exact error as for Office.

Also please provide me with the value of the registry entry : Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Bitdefender\gmid

Yes, it is the exact same error, even the 0x code is the same.

Adobe Acrobat Reader DC   v2019.008.20074

Key Name:          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Bitdefender

Class Name:        <NO CLASS>

Last Write Time:   26-04-2018 - 14:28

Value 0

Name:            gmid

Type:            REG_BINARY

Data:            

00000000   d6 fa 4f 3e b8 ec a6 01 - b9 23 83 72 f3 a6 5d 00  ÖúO>¸ì¦.¹#.ró¦].

Gemma.sys   v1.1.23.0

• oli_w
    edited October 2018

Adobe Acrobat Reader DC, continuous release, Version 2019.008.20074

Acrobat Reader seems to be unstable at the moment on my machine. It does start but it freezes every minute or so. Same behaviour regardless whether Bitdefender is enabled or disabled.

gmid: ba 03 7d e1 ea bf 65 61 d6 26 4b b1 c6 9c b6 80

Gemma.sys version: 1.1.23.0

• Hello,

Thank you again.

So far I have been unsuccessful in reproducing the reported issues. Will keep at it.

/index.php?/profile/139755-oli_w/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="139755" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/139755-oli_w/" rel="">@oli_w please also let me know what Gemma.sys version you have in C:\Windows\System32\drivers

Would also like to ask if any of you would be kind enough to allow a investigatory remote session.

• oli_w
    edited October 2018

Gemma.sys version: 1.1.23.0

At the moment my system is unstable after messing around with Bitdefender and terminating Excel via taskmanager. I cannot reactivate Power Query even Bitdefender is disabled. :( A re-install of Power Query does not help. I cannot re-activate the add in.

So, I have to restore a backup I made this morning. I need about 2h for this. After that I can offer a remote session via Teamviewer.

• Hello,

Was able to reproduce the issue.

On the next update (roughly one hour) the issue should be resolved.

Let me know if everything is ok.

• 36 minutes ago, Sorin G. said:

Hello,

Was able to reproduce the issue.

On the next update (roughly one hour) the issue should be resolved.

Let me know if everything is ok.

Thank you for the prompt fix.

I just noticed that it was working again and noticed it updated about 15 min ago.

Came here to tell you and saw you message :)

• oli_w
    edited October 2018

Nope, doesnt work here. Maybe I still haven't got the fix? Which version of Bitdefender do I need in order to get the fix?

• @oli_w

The update should be installed in up to 30 minutes after you open your PC,  if the issue is still persisting, please send us an email at bitsy@bitdefender.com and attach a support tool log to your email: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/1730/

Thanks!

• I am now at

Antivirus Free Edition 1.0.13.61

Engine version: 7.77779

Still not fixed for me. Excel does start, but freezes shortly after that. :(

I will send a mail as suggested above.

• Hello,

/index.php?/profile/139755-oli_w/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="139755" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/139755-oli_w/" rel="">@oli_w please ensure Bitdefender has recently updated (roughly 1 hour) and let me know if everything is ok now.

• Today I tried again with

Antivirus Free Edition: 1.0.13.61

Engine version: 7.77946

Yes! Now Excel starts with activated add-ons. I tried different Excel-sheets which make use of those add-ons. Everything seems to work.

Thank you very much! :)

283189901_giphy-downsized1.gif.5ae0bc631dc1a82676dfa31349844869.gif