BUG - Constant disk read/write while Bitdefender is installed

24

Comments


  • Sorry, my bad. I thought that the disk access was with the internal system drive. I tested with a usb device and the


    Led Light blinks non stop! So it's not fixed for me either :(

  • BDAlexS
    BDAlexS ✭✭
    edited October 2018


    I can confirm USB card eject is fixed. However the USB card flashes all the time, it's difficult to nail down if this is BD or not (it's not the search indexer btw, I'm using a SD card I formatted with zero files).


    With the USB card out there is still a heck of a lot of I/O going on, see attached pic showing task manager (and custom columns).

    The read/write count never stops going up. I left this for an hour.


    My system is SSD only.


    Windows 10 17134.345


    BD 2019 - 23.0.11.48


    BD you need to optimize this thing for performance and fast!


    Capture.PNG

  • Green456
    edited October 2018


    12 hours ago, BDAlexS said:



    I can confirm USB card eject is fixed. However the USB card flashes all the time, it's difficult to nail down if this is BD or not (it's not the search indexer btw, I'm using a SD card I formatted with zero files).


    With the USB card out there is still a heck of a lot of I/O going on, see attached pic showing task manager (and custom columns).

    The read/write count never stops going up. I left this for an hour.


    My system is SSD only.


    Windows 10 17134.345


    BD 2019 - 23.0.11.48


    BD you need to optimize this thing for performance and fast!


    Capture.PNG



    I think it is BD related. You can use SysInternals/MS ProcessMonitor and check for WmiPrvSe.Exe (the WMI process) access to the thumb drive. You will see that WMI is enumerating something regarding encrypted drives. It opens a handle to the drive, sends some control commands to the device driver and then closes it again. You can see in the displayed stacks that the close statement is going through one of BD's drivers. However, the stack of the open call is not hooked up as it seems.


    <sarcasm>Will the next version do RGB?</sarcasm>

  • jibi049
    edited October 2018


    You have to check the Performance tab, not Processes tab.


    Click the Performance tab then click on a disk to see that it's constantly reading about 24,5 KB/s. If you don't see it in the main tab it's because it doesn't read enough to be shown in MB unit with a unique decimal. ;-)


    Remember that it's ALL disks thare are affected, not only external ones.

  • Smith
    edited October 2018


    After more than a month USB problem is solved but constant disk read is still here, in my case  2 SSD and 2 HDD and all of them are being accessed constantly at 28-49 KB/s. My family members were using BD too, I've to uninstall it from all the laptop's.


    Funny thing is this antivirus after updating to 2019 has given me more hard time than any virus ever did, Users are not able to switch back to 2018 and don't get me started about all the false positives, Blizzard client getting quarantined etc. in poorly tested 2019 version. 


    I've already stopped using BD after USB eject bug and came back to see if constant read issue is solved or not which is a major problem that needed to be addressed and fixed in few hours if not few days after final release but after more than a freaking month still not solved, looks like BD needs an extra few months or years to solve it, i still have almost 220+ days of subscription left but i'm done for good. Anyways switching back for other AV's who are less buggy than this and never coming back to this junk defender even though maybe it's fixed after few months or next year.  <img class=" data-emoticon="" src="https://us.v-cdn.net/6031943/uploads/ipb_attachments/emoticons/default_laugh.png" title=":lol:" />

  • Paul.R
    Paul.R ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018


    Same problem on macOS too.


    Screen Shot 2018-10-21 at 14.02.33.png


  • This can be a very complex problem. It turns out that it occurs in different operating systems, possibly they have to make some fundamental changes. It's very bad that it takes so much time and there is no trace of what's going on. It is strange that nobody noticed it during the tests.

  • BDAlexS
    BDAlexS ✭✭
    edited October 2018


    On 10/20/2018 at 6:22 AM, Green456 said:



    I think it is BD related. You can use SysInternals/MS ProcessMonitor and check for WmiPrvSe.Exe (the WMI process) access to the thumb drive. You will see that WMI is enumerating something regarding encrypted drives. It opens a handle to the drive, sends some control commands to the device driver and then closes it again. You can see in the displayed stacks that the close statement is going through one of BD's drivers. However, the stack of the open call is not hooked up as it seems.


    <sarcasm>Will the next version do RGB?</sarcasm>



    I was mainly interested to see if the main drives were effected (e.g. C Drive).

    I gave full steps to repro ages ago by searching for the external drive letter in Processor Monitor, however my steps no longer work with the new version.

    I tried following your steps but they were not detailed enough, I could not find such handle and how it related to a BD driver. I do know my way around Process Monitor. Would it be possible to provide detailed steps to repro ?


    Thanks.


  • Here you can see my disk 1 (drive F: and G:) and there is a constant reading og 49 kb/sec (it is a Danish Windows 10).


     

    read error.jpg

  • BDAlexS
    BDAlexS ✭✭
    edited October 2018


    7 hours ago, svenohrberg said:



    Here you can see my disk 1 (drive F: and G:) and there is a constant reading og 49 kb/sec (it is a Danish Windows 10).


     


    read error.jpg



    It shows that something is doing something, being devils advocate it could be file indexing for instance. I would like to see a set of steps and/or a screenshot that demonstrates that the Bitdefender process is at fault (which seems most likely, just trying not to make assumptions).


  • Correct, it could be anything ... but the only way to stop it, is to do the pause-thing described earlier https://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?/topic/79879-bug-constant-disk-readwrite-while-bitdefender-is-installed/&do=findComment&comment=286398


    or uninstall BitDefender. I have tried both severel times. Do you really think I would post this here, if I was not completely sure, that this is BD doing this read?? As it is as low as it is, I can't find any tool that will tell directly that it is DB, as the tools I'm aware of all shows it in MB, and this little read is rounded down to zero. But then again, I have fixed it for me and are happy with it, and I really don't care if you believe it or not. Lots of other users in here has used the same solution, and it also worked out for them.


    Buttom line is, that BitDefender needs to fix this ASAP.


  • Is there any ETA whatsoever on when this is going to be resolved and fixed?  I only have 10 days left on the trial of one of your competitor software and don't want to jump from company to company until you fix this mess.  Your going on very close to 2 months without resolving this problem.


  • Well, that's it for me. I've uninstalled BD 2019 for good.


    I've waited way too long for a fix for this very serious bug, and currently we don't even have an idea how much longer we'll have to wait, much less a working fix.


    I won't be renewing with BD again, and I'm currently assessing other security options. So far my first option (Webroot) looks good, as it's very light on system resources and seems suited to my small low powered PC's. BD was good in that regard too originally, but growth in both RAM usage and number of processes with every passing year has put an end to that. So perhaps that's another reason to jump from the BD ship now.


    When I uninstalled BD I was asked to provide feedback as to why I was uninstalling, but the address the link pointed to had an invalid security certificate.


    How's that for irony.


    Bye All & Good Luck!


     


     


     


  • Yeah I'll give them till the end of the month then I am done. People who are leaving let me know what antivirus you are going with.


  • I'll uninstall BD on my laptop and will try out Kaspersky and see how this plays out. For now I'll keep BD on my gamerrig, but I also want this to be fixed ASAP.


  • STATUS UPDATE please!  This is really becoming ridiculous.  The entire 2019 line is flawed and buggy.  The sooner you accept this and start over from scratch the faster this and the tons of other issues will get resolved!  The band-aid approach isn't working.  It is causing more and more problems to pop up with each fix that weren't there before.


  • Have this BUG on BD Total Sec 2019 too,


    permanent readings on my second hard disk as 24kb/sec and without any activity (as may on the primary hard disk). Happens with equal HW and different PC main board too even on WIn 7 64 or in 10 1803 or 1809! Just uninstall the BD fixed the issue :ph34r: The disk monitor showed some random HD sector readings. 


    Waiting for a week now with an instance ticket and no response so far!


    this is a pitta and a bummer... :wacko: :wacko:


     


  • Well,


    as previous suggested about :


    @echo off

    net pause Winmgmt

    net continue Winmgmt




    Bingo, this helped also on my single HD with C,D,E partitions (SSD) to get ride of the fixed permanent reads ... to ZERO VALUE :wub:


  • Yes, it works to pause this service, but if that really fix it, why is BitDefender then taken so long time to make a fix!!


    I guess, that the constant read is fixed, but there are still errors in the program since BitDefender still not has made a fix/upgrade. 



  • 8 hours ago, svenohrberg said:



    Yes, it works to pause this service, but if that really fix it, why is BitDefender then taken so long time to make a fix!!


    I guess, that the constant read is fixed, but there are still errors in the program since BitDefender still not has made a fix/upgrade. 



    NO, the issue with constant disk read/write (blinking) is still NOT solved!!!



  • 8 hours ago, bertl1 said:



    NO, the issue with constant disk read/write (blinking) is still NOT solved!!!



    Yes it is, if you (as I wrote) pauses the service Winmgmt. You can make a .bat file containing this:


    @echo off

    net pause Winmgmt

    net continue Winmgmt


    Run it as administrator, and then the problem is solved, until you reboot your PC (then you have to run it again). Read my former post again. I have nevenr claimed that BitDefender ITSELF was fixed, just that the paused service fix the constand reading.



  • 9 hours ago, bertl1 said:



    NO, the issue with constant disk read/write (blinking) is still NOT solved!!!



     



    1 hour ago, svenohrberg said:



    Yes it is, if you (as I wrote) pauses the service Winmgmt. You can make a .bat file containing this:


    ...



    @Sven: this is a good workaround, but not a fix.


    I don't want to execute shell scripts on every startup.

    I want BD to provide an official solution to the underlying problem.

  • DennisK
    edited October 2018


    On 10/18/2018 at 10:55 PM, vampgirl said:



    Can someone please tell me how do you check and see the bitdefender's constant disk access?


    (...)



     


    This is what it looks like in Sysinternals' freely available Process Explorer, inspecting the I/O graph, approx. 15 mins after boot:


    Restarting "Winmgmt" (a.k.a. the Windows Management Instrumentation Service) immediately stops the once-per-second disk access.

    Interestingly, the disk access itself is caused by a second instance of "WmiPrvSE" which seems to be dependent on Winmgmt and closes after the restart.

    Hope that helps others to know what to look for.


    (Support info: running BD Antivirus Plus 2019 v23.0.11.48 on Windows 7 Pro x64)


    screen1b.png.2f3ccebd62d63559a3714ff879cfa401.png


     



  • 5 hours ago, DennisK said:



     


    @Sven: this is a good workaround, but not a fix.


    I don't want to execute shell scripts on every startup.

    I want BD to provide an official solution to the underlying problem.



    Workaround or a fix, I don't really care as long as it is fixed for the time being.


    But of course BitDefender has do do something quick to PERMANET fix this error :-)



  • 8 hours ago, DennisK said:



    This is what it looks like in Sysinternals' freely available Process Explorer, inspecting the I/O graph, approx. 15 mins after boot:


     



    What is that activity?  What is being read?  Is it causing the heads to move?  Someone here is claiming it's causing hard drive failure but I'm a bit skeptical.



  • 12 hours ago, svenohrberg said:



    Workaround or a fix, I don't really care as long as it is fixed for the time being.


    But of course BitDefender has do do something quick to PERMANET fix this error :-)



    I very much doubt the majority of us share your sentiment, we actually do care the problem is annoying and we paid customers don't need to be forced to execute the workaround every time we start computers to use safely.

    I understand you too want a permanent fix, we all are waiting for more than  2 months, your satisfaction with the workaround might infuriate some of us more as most of us aren't happy with this problem around far too long. :mellow:


    I know Support no longer interested in this topic as I see no replies since October 12 except Marius G's post at the top but I ask again, Support please do update us what's going on.

  • BDAlexS
    BDAlexS ✭✭
    edited October 2018


    Hi BD


    Update with ETA please or fix please.


    Thankyou.

  • BDAlexS
    BDAlexS ✭✭
    edited October 2018


    10 hours ago, Tech Hiker said:



    What is that activity?  What is being read?  Is it causing the heads to move?  Someone here is claiming it's causing hard drive failure but I'm a bit skeptical.



    Perhaps read the thread and look at the images and steps to repro next time (and there's another thread about ejecting USB drives). If you need more info you're probably need to look into how hard drives work, what are processes and how performance can effect a PC (and how to detect performance issues).


    I had an external hard drive failure after having it plugged in for a week without realising there was an issue. I cannot actually prove this was the issue but I darn well suspect it is. It was an older hard drive and this basically just about killed it.


  • The beef question is: Does this readings is a MS issue or a final BD issue... means the MS WMI gets :ph34r:


    Blinking, as it looks like reading for the DISK cash:


    . With blinking: while on main board with  2 SATA drives


    . No blinking: while on a Adaptec Raid 6804E controller with equal setup (2 SATA drives)


     


    Why the holy PC mags do not rise this! While this issue happens on worldwide & ALL BD2019 (may even business SW).


    Even form BD 2018 there is/was no option to skip or ask for a prior System backup ... just ugly enough uninstall & install without prior notifications.


     



  • 4 hours ago, bqpd said:



    I very much doubt the majority of us share your sentiment, we actually do care the problem is annoying and we paid customers don't need to be forced to execute the workaround every time we start computers to use safely.

    I understand you too want a permanent fix, we all are waiting for more than  2 months, your satisfaction with the workaround might infuriate some of us more as most of us aren't happy with this problem around far too long. :mellow:


    I know Support no longer interested in this topic as I see no replies since October 12 except Marius G's post at the top but I ask again, Support please do update us what's going on.



    Well, then you don't get my opinion right. Like all others I want this problem to be fixed by BitDefender ASAP. What I don't care about is if you call the .bat solution " a fix" or "a workaround". I too really don't like to have to run this .bat-file at every boot, and not knowing if there is more errors under the surface, that is NOT halted by this pause.bat. The bat-file is like taking a painkiller when you have a headache ... it does help, but it does NOT cure the reason for the headache, like this pause.bat does NOT fix the BitDefender-error(s) 

  • bertl1
    edited October 2018


    On 10/27/2018 at 5:01 PM, DennisK said:



     


    @Sven: this is a good workaround, but not a fix.


    I don't want to execute shell scripts on every startup.

    I want BD to provide an official solution to the underlying problem.



    Yes, an official solution is exactly what we have been asking for 2 months now from BD! I have no desire to tinker constantly with my system because of this buggy software!

    .


     

  • Danny_4
    edited October 2018


    Bitdefender is quickly reaching McAffee ridiculousness levels..


    How To Uninstall Antivirus


     


  • The way they work remains quite unusual. Zero information. No messages informing about the progress. Nothing. Will it take another week? A month? Quarter?


  • As these forums don't seem to do anything I will be spreading the word via Facebook and Twitter. I suggest others do the same.


  • Hi, 




    Our development team has been testing some fixes for this issue, but we're still trying to find the best approach before releasing a fix for our users.

    An ETA is not available and I would recommend using the workaround that was previously posted (which you can see at the top of the thread). 



    Thank you for understanding!

     



  • 2 hours ago, Sergiu C. said:



    Hi, 




    Our development team has been testing some fixes for this issue, but we're still trying to find the best approach before releasing a fix for our users.

    An ETA is not available and I would recommend using the workaround that was previously posted (which you can see at the top of the thread). 



    Thank you for understanding!

     



     


    How about some feedback on what their findings regarding the cause of this issue have been. Why are we being kept in the dark about this? It's not exactly painting the best picture for us. It leaves the impression that some form of negligence was involved in the cause of this issue.

  • BDAlexS
    BDAlexS ✭✭
    edited October 2018


    Just been given a warning from moderator for bumping this thread, go ahead read my posts and tell me what do you think. So now we aren't allowed to discuss it or complain about it, and are threatened with censorship. Thanks BD as a paying customer I think we are done now.

    Screenshot_20181030-123651.png



  • 44 minutes ago, [email protected] said:



     


    How about some feedback on what their findings regarding the cause of this issue have been. Why are we being kept in the dark about this? It's not exactly painting the best picture for us. It leaves the impression that some form of negligence was involved in the cause of this issue.



    What I can tell you is that this is strictly a performance issue and that the security of the PC is not affected in any way. It is not our intention to keep you in the dark, however we cannot disclose any of the technical data pertaining to the issue. I can assure you that we are working on solving this situation. 


  • Well, normally I buy a new key for BitDefender on Black Friday, so you still got about a month before I decide if I should stay with BitDefender or not. When the workaround is "so easy" to do, and BitDefender don't want to inform us WHY this workaround is working, I have a suspicion that there is something more wrong beneath the surface. I have been using BitDefender for severel years now (even though it is not in my language) and I have never seen this before with BitDefender.


  • On Monday October 29, I was suddenly offered an update which required a reboot. On reboot, I was suddenly running build # 23.0.14.61 dated Oct 29.  I booted my other PC and waited for the update invitation, which still hasn't arrived (both running Win7).  I see no buzz about this new build here. If this is a test "in the wild" I'm a poor subject as I'm no geek.  Is this the long-awaited fix?

  • SageWolf
    SageWolf
    edited October 2018


    I just received an update to BDTS from 23.0.11.48 to 23.0.14.61 and it has done absolutely nothing to remedy the Constant Disk Read/Write issue.  The PC boot_s up and then all USB connected drives start Blinking like crazy.


    What was this update supposed to fix?


    This is getting ridiculous...I have 1251 days left on my subscription.  Please fix this issue.


  • Interesting email from BD support claiming 23.0.14.61 is The Big Fix we've been awaiting. SageWolf (above) says "No." What say you other experts on this board?




    The issue you reported has been fixed in the latest version. Please follow these steps:

     


    1.     Click the Start button in the lower left corner of your desktop.



    2.     Type directly in the Search box appwiz.cpl and hit Enter



    3.     This will bring up the list of installed programs. Locate Bitdefender in the list, right click on it and choose Uninstall.



    4.     A wizard will appear. Choose Reinstall by clicking on the button.



    5.     Reboot your PC when asked, then follow the on-screen steps to reinstall Bitdefender and check if the situation you have encountered is resolved.

     


    Please make sure you have the latest build of Bitdefender installed, 23.0.14.61. To verify the build that you are running, please right click on the Bitdefender icon in the System Tray and press on About. The build is displayed below the Product information.



  • Ok, I'll throw in my 2 cents here.  I maintain & monitor about 26 computers, all running Windows7 Pro and BD Antivirus+., most of which have received & installed the 23.0.14.61 build in the last 36 hours. Since Sergiu posted about 12 hours ago (as I write this) that they are still working on it, I think it's safe to say that this build is NOT intended to fix this problem. I have physically verified on several of them (don't have time to check all of them) that the problem still exists.


  • I can confirm this new version doesn't fix the constant read issue. After uninstall/reinstall then a reboot to be sure (with the script disabled) both SSD and HDD were reading at a 24,5KB/s speed. Running the script still fixes the issue until next reboot.



  • 11 hours ago, Doug said:



    Interesting email from BD support claiming 23.0.14.61 is The Big Fix we've been awaiting. SageWolf (above) says "No." What say you other experts on this board?




    The issue you reported has been fixed in the latest version. Please follow these steps:

     


    1.     Click the Start button in the lower left corner of your desktop.



    2.     Type directly in the Search box appwiz.cpl and hit Enter



    3.     This will bring up the list of installed programs. Locate Bitdefender in the list, right click on it and choose Uninstall.



    4.     A wizard will appear. Choose Reinstall by clicking on the button.



    5.     Reboot your PC when asked, then follow the on-screen steps to reinstall Bitdefender and check if the situation you have encountered is resolved.

     


    Please make sure you have the latest build of Bitdefender installed, 23.0.14.61. To verify the build that you are running, please right click on the Bitdefender icon in the System Tray and press on About. The build is displayed below the Product information.





    My apologies, this was sent in error. 



    9 hours ago, chrisj said:



    Ok, I'll throw in my 2 cents here.  I maintain & monitor about 26 computers, all running Windows7 Pro and BD Antivirus+., most of which have received & installed the 23.0.14.61 build in the last 36 hours. Since Sergiu posted about 12 hours ago (as I write this) that they are still working on it, I think it's safe to say that this build is NOT intended to fix this problem. I have physically verified on several of them (don't have time to check all of them) that the problem still exists.



    This is correct. The latest build mostly contains fixes related to Encrypted Web Scan feature, and also addressed some minor translation issues. 

  • BDAlexS
    BDAlexS ✭✭
    edited October 2018


    The feedback I'm getting is that the issue is BD with bitlocker enabled if people can confirm.


  • I don't have Bitlocker enabled on both PCs


  •  



    18 hours ago, Doug said:



    Interesting email from BD support claiming 23.0.14.61 is The Big Fix we've been awaiting. SageWolf (above) says "No." What say you other experts on this board?




    The issue you reported has been fixed in the latest version. Please follow these steps:

     


    1.     Click the Start button in the lower left corner of your desktop.



    2.     Type directly in the Search box appwiz.cpl and hit Enter



    3.     This will bring up the list of installed programs. Locate Bitdefender in the list, right click on it and choose Uninstall.



    4.     A wizard will appear. Choose Reinstall by clicking on the button.



    5.     Reboot your PC when asked, then follow the on-screen steps to reinstall Bitdefender and check if the situation you have encountered is resolved.

     


    Please make sure you have the latest build of Bitdefender installed, 23.0.14.61. To verify the build that you are running, please right click on the Bitdefender icon in the System Tray and press on About. The build is displayed below the Product information.





    I have now uninstalled Bitdefender choosing "Reinstall" in the wizard. After some time it wanted to reboot, and it has now. But it is NOT beginning to reinstall BitDefender ??!!?? There is NO on-screen steps to reinstall Bitdefender. This is going south quite quickly!


    So I guess that I will have to go to BitDefender Central and see if I can reinstall BitDefender this way.


    But ...  why the f.... should we UNINSTALL and REINSTALL BitDefender just to get a product update?? Something is really not allright with BitDefender as it is now.

  • chrisj
    chrisj ✭✭
    edited October 2018


    12 minutes ago, svenohrberg said:



     


    I have now uninstalled Bitdefender choosing "Reinstall" in the wizard. After some time it wanted to reboot, and it has now. But it is NOT beginning to reinstall BitDefender ??!!?? There is NO on-screen steps to reinstall Bitdefender. This is going south quite quickly!


    So I guess that I will have to go to BitDefender Central and see if I can reinstall BitDefender this way.


    But ...  why the f.... should we UNINSTALL and REINSTALL BitDefender just to get a product update?? Something is really not allright with BitDefender as it is now. 



    I could be wrong, but I believe the uninstall/reinstall is just to get the latest build without having to wait for the update through the normal process, since it doesn't go out to all users at once. Of the 26 machines that I monitor, they trickled in over a 48 hour period; still waiting for one or 2 more. You may have to wait a day or 2 or 3.


  • Well, it's getting more and more weird. BitDefender did install via BitDefender Central, and it did keep my former settings, but now my PC is NOT showing up in BD Central? I have a 3 PC licens, and my laptop and my wife's laptop is there, but my gamerrig is gone. When looking at my account in my gamerrig, I can see that I'm using 3 products, but only 2 of them can now be seen in BD Central !?!

This discussion has been closed.